Elliptical 25min

Thurs,

Workout #1).
    Bar complexes BB+75
    FS/MP/Lunge/BTNP/RDL
    5x5 1min ri

Workout #2).
    Partial squats, pins at 19"
    405x18, might have hit 20, don't know, count hazy after 16. Will drop the height and change the rep scheme.

Workout #3).
    Drove down to Redondo Beach to work w/ main training partner 1hr
    BT chi sao
    -section#1- working head motion on 2nd counter, helpful
    -section #2- roughing in motion
    Free, mixing

Andrew

Fri,

Workout #1). 30min
    BW bulgarian squats, front foot up 4"
    5x5

Kb swings
    20@36x5
    20@53x5
    10@72x5
    10@2x53x10
    5@2x72x5
    Double Kb sn*tches
    5@2x36x5

Workout #2). 45min
    BS pushups +40lbs chain 7x2
    Chins 7x2
    Dummy 5x2min
    Sledge work (CST stuff) 5x2min

Andrew

Sat,

John Wang Shuai- Chiao workshop 3hrs

Very nice intro to Shuia-chiao by Mr. Wang. Crew attending was small and a mixed bag of ages, experience levels, and focuses. I'll note the big concepts here as a blow by blow of each throw is past my powers of accurate recall

Stance- 40/60 front/rear

Ideal base feet approximately 1 fist outside shoulder width
    Goal of setups for throw- bring CoG as close to outside of boundary of feet as possible, throw takes it outside

Leads
    -matched- L vs L, R vs R- fewer entering options open to you, favors entering with lead hook over other person's guard as fake, back hand slips under to grab lead hand off hook, proceed to control
    -mirror- L vs R, more options here, enter off either hook to upward wrapping (underhook) or lifting punch to downward wrapping (overhook), while other hand shoots forward to cover rear hand (wedge/SPEAR)

Bridging
    -cucumber vine- make constant small inward circles with arms, spiralling bridge attempts out, allowing constant potential firing of hook (Latosa's downward pat component of empty hand figure 8 cycle). Inward spiral could pull shots into your own face.
    -leg bridge- straight kick as probe/ jam to lead leg transition to leg biting

Leg Biting- need to ask John about how each lead relates to each bite
    -matched lead inside leg bite- foot points back as hook, body faces sideways to threaten to collapse leg
    -mirror inside- inside leg control w/ knee pressure
    -matched outside- not covered (this is the dummy cross-stomp setup)
    -mirror outside- similar to matched inside

Concept with leg biting seems to be to use a leg bite to destabilized the other person and make them withdraw the leg as a setup to attack the new front leg with one of several tools. Leg biting as a takedown requires a simultaneous ankle pick- leg bite, hand to foot lower level for takedown. Attack is usually made by the non-biting leg in combination with upperbody setup.

Attacks used as followup to leg biting- need to explore these more and isolate skills
    -low sweep kick (low kick off dummy)- target at ankle - first throw taught was double grab with sweep kick off dummy
    -hook sweep hitting above the knee

Hand controls
    -upward wrapping- underhook, may proceed to shoulder control, seatbelt control, eyebrow moppping, helmet removal. Elbow up good underhook
    -downward wrapping- overhook, uses open hand and pushes across body to lock shoulder and block upward wrapping
    -cracking- wh*zzer
    -tucking- to put a hand out of the way while entering- used grips with thumb pointing in same direction as grabbed hand thumb on both radial and ulnar sides of wrist. Used in a number of covered throws, used to control off hand first with hand control then using low back/*ss to trap during shoulder throw
    -shoulder lock- L/R elbow or tricep control, other arm up in armpit in russian armdrag position, turn and throw- heng chuan app
    -separate hands
    - double upward- double lop off inside wedge (double rising punch used here, wedge clearly reasonable substitute) to pull them down and forward to either forehead push or headlock throw (primarily headlock throw setup)
    - I think this also goes to bearhug, inside trip using forehead to push upper body
    -double downward- double overhooks/ salto position- inside leg bite mirror positon, then low sweep kick to opposite leg with rear leg once the lead leg is withdrawn, combined with pull and turn to that side. Need to work balance on this
    -left up right down- tuck high with left, low and out with right, fire right shoulder strike, to break balance, check with right arm while picking knee with left hand, then make inner hook for no breakfall takedown- very nice, this could be bread and butter for me, fits in the same place as my knee block throw off underhook

Headlock notes
    - three points of pressure- temple, near jaw, far jaw
    -develop by hanging from pole (to failure recommended, would try GTG protocol) with leg laced, until leg no longer needed
    -rear body lock a potential counter- counter with spring leg- shoot a leg back (back step in chum kiu) to bump open their base- black hand series off this- stomp through other leg from grapevine

Other notes:
    Three types of throws- timing, technique, power
    - success with the first two may be dismissed by an opponent, the last there is no mistaking being outdone by, in challenges it is better to win with a power move

There's a bunch missing from here, but these are the basics.

Andrew

Sun,

Sun practice 2 1/2hrs
    Chi sao 20min, focus on hand/foot link, waiting for last arrival

Lead/rear on focus mitts
    MB Pass x16
    Lead/rear on focus mitts
    MB Pass on close to inside of lead x16
    Lead/rear, punch across lead to cause jum on focus mitts
    MB pass on close to outside of lead x16
    Lead/rear, punch to outside of lead to drive tan on focus mitts
    MB passes mixedx16
    Focus mitts, mix jum and tan pressures

4 positions + changes
    In pak from lat sao
    In pak from chi sao
    Crashing bong counter from chi sao
    Double punch cycle

Man out on bag and dummy

Chins 10x1

Mon,

MT 1hr
    3min rounds
    Jump rope x3
    Focus mitts
    -Jab
    -Cross
    -Jab cross
    Heavy bag
    -rear round kick
    -rear round kick other lead
    -jab/cross rear
    Pads
    -jab/cross/ rear klck x3 rounds
    Crunches 3min
    Plank 1min

Nice start

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    Sat,

John Wang Shuai- Chiao workshop 3hrs

Very nice intro to Shuia-chiao by Mr. Wang. Crew attending was small and a mixed bag of ages, experience levels, and focuses. I'll note the big concepts here as a blow by blow of each throw is past my powers of accurate recall

Stance- 40/60 front/rear

Ideal base feet approximately 1 fist outside shoulder width
    Goal of setups for throw- bring CoG as close to outside of boundary of feet as possible, throw takes it outside

Leads
    -matched- L vs L, R vs R- fewer entering options open to you, favors entering with lead hook over other person's guard as fake, back hand slips under to grab lead hand off hook, proceed to control
    -mirror- L vs R, more options here, enter off either hook to upward wrapping (underhook) or lifting punch to downward wrapping (overhook), while other hand shoots forward to cover rear hand (wedge/SPEAR)

Bridging
    -cucumber vine- make constant small inward circles with arms, spiralling bridge attempts out, allowing constant potential firing of hook (Latosa's downward pat component of empty hand figure 8 cycle). Inward spiral could pull shots into your own face.
    -leg bridge- straight kick as probe/ jam to lead leg transition to leg biting

Leg Biting- need to ask John about how each lead relates to each bite
    -matched lead inside leg bite- foot points back as hook, body faces sideways to threaten to collapse leg
    -mirror inside- inside leg control w/ knee pressure
    -matched outside- not covered (this is the dummy cross-stomp setup)
    -mirror outside- similar to matched inside

Concept with leg biting seems to be to use a leg bite to destabilized the other person and make them withdraw the leg as a setup to attack the new front leg with one of several tools. Leg biting as a takedown requires a simultaneous ankle pick- leg bite, hand to foot lower level for takedown. Attack is usually made by the non-biting leg in combination with upperbody setup.

Attacks used as followup to leg biting- need to explore these more and isolate skills
    -low sweep kick (low kick off dummy)- target at ankle - first throw taught was double grab with sweep kick off dummy
    -hook sweep hitting above the knee

Hand controls
    -upward wrapping- underhook, may proceed to shoulder control, seatbelt control, eyebrow moppping, helmet removal. Elbow up good underhook
    -downward wrapping- overhook, uses open hand and pushes across body to lock shoulder and block upward wrapping
    -cracking- wh*zzer
    -tucking- to put a hand out of the way while entering- used grips with thumb pointing in same direction as grabbed hand thumb on both radial and ulnar sides of wrist. Used in a number of covered throws, used to control off hand first with hand control then using low back/*ss to trap during shoulder throw
    -shoulder lock- L/R elbow or tricep control, other arm up in armpit in russian armdrag position, turn and throw- heng chuan app
    -separate hands
    - double upward- double lop off inside wedge (double rising punch used here, wedge clearly reasonable substitute) to pull them down and forward to either forehead push or headlock throw (primarily headlock throw setup)
    - I think this also goes to bearhug, inside trip using forehead to push upper body
    -double downward- double overhooks/ salto position- inside leg bite mirror positon, then low sweep kick to opposite leg with rear leg once the lead leg is withdrawn, combined with pull and turn to that side. Need to work balance on this
    -left up right down- tuck high with left, low and out with right, fire right shoulder strike, to break balance, check with right arm while picking knee with left hand, then make inner hook for no breakfall takedown- very nice, this could be bread and butter for me, fits in the same place as my knee block throw off underhook

Headlock notes
    - three points of pressure- temple, near jaw, far jaw
    -develop by hanging from pole (to failure recommended, would try GTG protocol) with leg laced, until leg no longer needed
    -rear body lock a potential counter- counter with spring leg- shoot a leg back (back step in chum kiu) to bump open their base- black hand series off this- stomp through other leg from grapevine

Other notes:
    Three types of throws- timing, technique, power
    - success with the first two may be dismissed by an opponent, the last there is no mistaking being outdone by, in challenges it is better to win with a power move

There's a bunch missing from here, but these are the basics.

Andrew
    good stuff.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Yesterday,

Workout #1).
    Kb complex w/ 2x36lb kbs
    FS
    OHP
    Lunge
    OHP
    RDL
    3x5, 1min ri
    *Way tougher w/ 2 36lb kbs than a 75lb bb*

Bag- 5x3min, round kicks, trying to clean mechanics
    Chins 10x1

Workout #2).
    Rounds- bag and air (2min)
    Kup x2
    Kwaix1
    Man x2
    Piex2
    Dummy x3
    Double KB sn*tch w/ 2 x36lb kbs
    10x5

Andrew

Yest,

Workout #1).
    Elliptical 30min

Workout #2).
    Partial range of motion squats, pins @ 18
    4x6 @ 405, 3min ri

Had to run to a drug dinner, no time for anything else.

Andrew

Workout #1).
    Bar complexes BB+75
    FS/MP/Lunge/BTNP/RDL
    5x5 1min ri

Workout #2).
    Partner by 1 1/2 hrs
    4 positions + changes
    5th section CS
    BT CS review 1-5
    BT CS section 2, entry, initial bong (in depth), fak/shan action

Workout #3).
    Thurs practice 2 hrs
    Mid-level kick counters, both leads
    -straight- w/ legs
    -straight - w/ arms
    -straight- mixed
    -round- body
    -round elbow scuff
    4 positions + changes- focus on continuous rolling tan/shan action

KB swings
    72 20x5
    53 20x5

Hips tweaky, did some soft tissue work.

Andrew

Fri,

Workout #1).
    MT
    3min rounds
    Jump ropex3
    Shadowboxing x3
    Drills
    -shield vs rear kick and return
    -shield vs front round kick and return (lead or rear leg)
    -pat jab w/ rear hand, cover vs cross, ride it out and return
    -pat jab, cover vs cross, cover vs lead hook, ride it out and return
    -same, return with rear round kick
    4-6 rounds of this, lost track
    Sparring
    -legs x3
    -hands x3
    -kickboxing x3

Felt decent, kid I was sparring was about 220, had some fun with him, messing with timing. Wind and nerves need some time, had to breathe to calm down a bit.

Rolled for a few minutes afterwards, pretty tired and off my game so I just dogged it and countered until a natural break point came, then headed home.

Workout #2).

Started on of my guys lifting, using the Starting Strength program, 3x5 squat, 3x5 bench for him today. Will sub Pendelay rows for powercleans when time comes.

During this

DB bench 2x81DBs 6x5
    Pendelay rows @ 173 6x5

Feeling good.

Andrew

Sat,

Workout #1).
    Hip circuit

36 lb kb
    OH split squats 3x5
    Single leg DL 3x5
    Windmill 3x5

Workout #2).

Soft tissue work
    Dummy x5 rounds
    Sled-dragging w/ head strap, 40m x 90lbs x12, worked releasing hip flexors going backwards a bunch (spring step)
    Chins +10lbs 6x1
    Band seated rows 2x15
    Band curls 2x20

L knee tweaky all day, feels like more muscular than joint pain- soleus/poplitieus? Most likely popliteus by the distribution, less the instability thing I felt after monday. Hmm. Hot tub later tonight or in the AM for recovery.

Doug,

thanks, I'm trying to up my volume gradually and get back to where I was a few years back in terms of the speed of my development.

Andrew

Yesterday,

Sun practice 2 1/2 hrs
    Grappling
    -review of mount escapes
    -review side control escapes
    -americana counters
    -leg log escape review
    WT
    Last 1/3 of 1st section
    -5 variants out of pressure off punch or jut from jut chuen and counters in detail, working on timing and use, plus some SD and sparring apps

Took it easy and coached as my knee has been way tweaky and I got a massage before practice. Massage helped some and it's feeling better this morning.

Andrew

Mon,

Elliptical 25min

Tues,

Workout #1).
    Bar complexes
    BB @75
    HPC/FS/MP/Lunge/BTNP/RDL
    3x5 1min ri
    Added the hang power cleans up front, felt good

Workout #2).
    MT 3min rounds
    Jump rope x3
    Rear round kick x6 (both leads)
    Lead push kick x4
    Pads x3
    Sparring x3- went 3 rounds with one of the pros who coaches there. Went pretty easy, head coach said my range and timing were nice; he was catching me on transitions. Interesting guy to spar as he's got the classic beanpole kickboxer/MT build. Started working on cornering him and cutting off the ring the last round. Felt good about my defense, not a lot getting through.

Workout #3).
    Tues practice 2 hrs
    Structure drills
    -static
    -moving
    -moving linear advance and retreat
    Couple of rounds of singles and doubles on focus mitts in between rounds
    Underhook dan chi
    Dan chi for 1 sg

Andrew

Weds,

Elliptical 25min

One of the guys was sparring down at MT, got caught, subQ air under cheek. No sx of nerve entrapment, started him on antibiotics, sent him for CT the next day- Maxillary injury with sinus involvement. No surgery, but 2 mos off head contact.

Thurs,

Elliptical 25min

Took it easy, knee felt beat up.

Fri,

Workout #1).
    Elliptical 30min

Workout #2).
    MT 3min rounds
    jump rope x3
    Kick drills with a big girl 4? rounds. Smiled and nodded as she tried to coach me.
    Leg sparring with same big girl x 4 rounds. Went very easy, tried to figure out how to use her to train, settled on stepping inside her range so she could fire, and just played defense, trying to wind up in an optimal position after each of my counters. Useful learning strategy. Amusingly she thanked me a bunch at the end- she realized that she was way out of her depth.
    Leg sparring with the 17 year old 220lber- x4 rounds, took it easy, started to find a groove on him, messed with some of the same strategies against him that I was playing with the big lady. Useful. Called it a day.

Sat,

Workout #1).
    Heavy bag 10x3min rounds
    both leads
    rear round kick x2
    teep x1
    teep to rear round kick x1
    rear heel kick - round to straight heel kick conversion x1

Useful playing with the different dynamics of the teep and heel kick- hip usage and range are significantly different on the two.

Workout #2).

DB bp +86x2 6x6
    Pendelay rows +183 6x5

Head strap rounded upper back GM 6x10
    Alt db curls + 27 6x8

Second workout teaching one of the guys to lift- squat/OHP/DL
    Hit a bunch of OHPs with overhead shrugs at the end at light weights during this. Work weights were 125/80/153 3x5, 2x5, 1x5

Andrew

Sun,

Sun practice 2 1/2 hrs
    Pad work on ground
    In guard
    From guard
    Side control both sides

Last 1/3 1st section stuff

Pad work standing
    Lop/jut off man/jab and hit
    Lop and lifting punch off man/jab
    tan/low palm