Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew's workout blog

Andrew's workout blog

Alright, I'll join the plunge-

AM- get home from work. 1 hr w/ partner, light basics.
    Tabata intervals on elliptical trainer (180 kcal burned)

PM- Max effort trap bar deadlift (first time with my new trap bar)- max single at 483. Felt like I had 500+ in me.

Tried my 'fight gone worse' GPP (1 minute each of 5 exercises, no rest) after the max effort lift. Bad idea. Only one round seemed reasonable.
    thrusters w/ 16kg k-bells- did 21
    walking lunges with 2 16k-bells. 25 steps
    sumo DL high pullls w/ 95 lbs- 11
    k-bell jerks w/ 25kg bell (10r/10l)- 21
    sled drag w/153 lbs- 53 steps

Plan to rest for a little then do some footwork and 8 light 3 minute rounds on the 150lb bag.

Andrew

Thanks for joining us Andrew. Workout looks good

Do you have any goals that you are trying to reach ??

Cheers

JM

Didn't get to my bag work last night- ambushed by houseguest who won't leave. 5 weeks and counting.

JM,

goals- cut weight from present 250 to under 230.
    squat 500 (will max on this soon to see how far I have to go)
    dl 500 (463 PR)
    Front press bodyweight (presently at 132 for 6 reps)
    OH squat bodyweight (presently on triples at 137, ways to go)
    power clean bodyweight (haven't maxed, working weight for 5 reps 176)
    5 rounds tabata bag work of 5 minutes
    5 rounds 'fight gone worse' with consistent numbers round to round
    Homicide when I fight next.

Andrew

Tonight's weights

Power cleans 5x5 w/ 173lbs
    Jerk (split) 5x3 w/ 115
    Farmer's walk 101lbs in each hand, 57s, 35s, 33s for duration. About 1-2 min RI. Right grip blew out and dropped weight on right foor on last set, nothing broken.

Rest for now, then bag work.

Andrew

I'm glad you're finally visiting the training forum - you're most welcome here. Experts are always appreciated.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Hey Toby,

not even close to expert, man. I'm just trying to work on some stuff and learn.

Last night:

Chum Kiu
    Biu Tze

extremely relaxed and explosive. Dunno is it was the power cleans earlier or the trap bar lift the day before. Maybe handling more than 400 does this on squat-like motions for me.

Footwork- 9 intervals approximately 45 seconds on 15 seconds active rest. Extremely explosive. Figured out a piece of hamstring engagement on the lead leg which sifu has been busting me on. Been working on it with partner drills.

Bunch of wallbag work between exercises

5 2 minute rounds on heavy bag. All kicking. Working on weight drop on knee extension

Section 2- in air

SNT

1 hr 10 minutes

Today

Fight gone worse.
    Thrusters, lunges, high pulls, jerks, sled: 25,27,15,21, 50 and 14, 18, 14, 17, 50

Puker. Weights are a bit much. Oh well. S*ck it up.

Tonight- sparring

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS
    not even close to expert, man. I'm just trying to work on some stuff and learn.
    Well, you're an MD, right? Plus you're experienced in heavy lifting and follow pretty sophisticated training protocols for both MA and attribute training.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

What is fight gone worse?
    A unique snowflake

Figured out a piece of hamstring engagement on the lead leg which sifu has been busting me on.
    Andrew -- any chance i could wring some details from you on this one?

Winterpalm -- i believe it's a name for a workout meant to give you adequate endurance in most of the major muscle groups you'd use in a variety of non-ideal fight situations, such as multiple attackers, running the fizzuck away from a weapon-wiedling bastage, etc.
    Last edited by rubthebuddha; 03-11-2005 at 10:56 PM.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

I seem to recall hearing mention of Emin using continual adduction to stop people sweeping his front leg - maybe that's it.

toby -- that's too simple, and andrew's too smArt to have taken this long to figure out basic adduction. he's been at wt much longer than me.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Worked Thursday am through Friday noon.
    Home.
    1hr w/ training partner- basics. Stance stuff through poon sao into footwork. A couple more months and he'll be tuned at this rate.
    530-730 nap

9pm DE
    MB slams 8x10 during Hope's box squats
    low bar box squats to 16.5" box with 185+ chains for 8x2 with 45 second rest interval.

Need to do RM 1 testing for low bar squat. Been 4-6 months since last PR. Low bar position feels awkward after all the manta ray and front squats

lunges 3x8 w/ 2 55lb k-bells. Surprisingly difficult. Need to do more unilateral leg work as assist stuiff

speed deadlifts- 8x1 with 285 + chains (40lbs). Need another 40lbs chain. Bar moved way quick.

No time/ energy for anything else today.

Toby,

I know some stuff. Expertise is something far past that.

WP,

variation on crossfit's 'fight gone bad'. See my first post for details. Speed-strength-endurance workout. An absolute puker.

RTB,

I'm still trying to figure this out. It's not just adduction, though that's the name people use for it, and the name that leads people to do something different from what he's saying. He can basically make his leg unliftable or far heavier than I can hold up when he lets me pick it up. It's some combined action between adductors and hamstrings while sitting into the back leg that he uses to break out singles, and, by my guess is an 'always on' thing in his mechanics. Similar to stomping through a single but there's an extra mechanic or two that makes it feel freaky. I think he's using this every time he steps- every step is a kick. He spent 15 minutes during a private lesson trying to pass this on to me- had me try to lift his legs as hard as I could (shoot high doubles and singles)- it was like trying to lift a house. Operative quote 'use your hamstrings'- I intent to go over this with him again as I think it's one of the things which makes him different.

Later,

Andrew

Holy shit, you're strong. How much do you weigh?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

IF,

250 or so these days. So, in terms of relative strength, I'm not especially strong. I'm trying to make it down to around 230, which would be healthy with a reasonable bf%.

Andrew

Today's training-

failed to make it in to grapple. Sleep necessary.

This afternoon-
    Training partner/student by- 2 hrs. Stance drills into footwork into free footwork, into lat sao. Finish with chi sao, GPP/rehab for partner, forms and wallbag for me. Some pad work in there.

This evening-

Oly lifting

Snatch drops
    10x3 w/ 100lbs. 2.5 min ri
    Light. Hips nicely open, but can still feel tweaky parts. L knee seems ok, managed all sets without wraps

RDL
    3x6 w/ 295 1 min ri
    ho hum
    stay even

windmills
    3x5 r/l with 72lb k-bell 2 min ri
    feel good. A little heavy, but didn't have time for 5x3

Finish with tabata intervals on elliptical 5 min warm up and cool off, 5 minutes intervals. 1.7 miles, 186 kcal burned.

Andrew