Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew's workout blog

Today,

Wedding planning continues- missed workout last pm 'cos of visiting places.

'ME'

Front Squat wk2
    Aiming for 4x2 at 90% rm1
    bwx3x10
    95x5
    155x5
    205x2
    255x2
    255x X
    245x2
    245x2

Weak today. Left knee seems to have done OK, didn't use wraps or belt, L glut felt very active right after- dunno if that was good or bad.

Zercher GM
    3x6
    1mi ri
    brutal. Should cut down to 205 next time and work on form.

Y-sits
    46 behind the neck
    3x4

Rolling thunder DL
    3r 3l x 3
    Alternating w/
    band pull aparts (knees)
    3x30
    fun to change thigh torso angle while doing these. Should break down ROM and knee flexion/extension and play to improve stability/flexibity.

Partying at Kylie Ireland's pad tonight for a mutual friend's b-day. Should be interesting.

Andrew

Thumbs up

did a google on kylie ireland...game on, my friend
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Yesterday,

recovering from hangover- made it home about 530 or so. . .

Teaching 2 1/4 hrs
    New guy by- been working on basics at home- it shows.

Escrima-35min
    Forehand- standing, zoning every other hit
    Forehand walking- doubling up on each step
    -Introduced some timing stuff, moving on the target's motion
    Heavy rattan doing two handed weapon work w/ pressure, standing

WT
    Stance checks- advancing
    Turning tan dar drill for cross tan
    Turning gan dar drill
    Vary high and low for tan and gan
    Rounds- no hands takedown defense as stance drill
    Pummelling- forgot he wrestled in hs, hadn't done pummelling before, but caught on quick. Brought the stance stuff from prior drill in a bit. Worked into catching ****zers and tight overhooks off letting him underhook and abusing him, got him to do the same to me, showed kwan escape to cross-tan neck control, transition back to gan/gum control for level change. Worked a few rounds.
    Took the above and linked in to show him the rest of 1st set SNT- crossed tan to double gan to kwan to chamber.
    Talking about my teaching approach later- he's used to taking some choreography and polishing it for a few weeks and feels a bit scatter- I explained I'm trying to do something similarly intensive but with a skill, not a motion.

Alasdair- check your PM

Andrew

Thumbs up

Thanks for the PM. Could you explain the no hands takedown defense please? Sounds similar to stance checking I use, but could be different...cheers.
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Yesterday,

brutal call. Got home destroyed and failed to get technical or mobility work in yet again.

Workout-
    Elliptical
    20 min, 2.4 mi, 276 kcal

kbell snatches
    72lb
    5r5l

sled drag
    +134lbs

step ups
    10r10l

10 rounds- exactly 40 minutes.

Alasdair,

basically I do rounds of low intensity takedowns, defending without using the arms. I'll usually show a piece of using stance to stop a particular takedown each time, generally starting with neck-tie/plum, then going to hip and shoulder throws, bodylock attempts, singles, doubles, etc. The idea is do isolated stance testing/ 'structure drills' right next to actual application so people really connect with the idea of using the body to shut things down.

Andrew

Worked approximately 56hrs from Sun- Wen with about 8 hrs sleep in there. Ugly. Managed not to get hurt sparring tonight, aside from a messed up jaw.

Chi sao- 20 min- postions light and technical, good to get some time in, been to long. Lost a little endurance, but feel, softness, and structure haven't suffered much, and I feel like my timing and fluidity are different.

Boxing- bunch of rounds. S*cking wind at the end. Hope it's just fatigue from the last few days. Still working right lead. Getting rear hand lined up nicely. R on R, I'm moving into lead right hooks when I move off the jab to go to the body with my left. Gotta set that up better. Worked crowding with my head a bit, and hooking to the back of the head moving out of that position- nice. Got some decent slips and head motion in- seeing stuff nicely.

Thai clinch- worked basic pummel for neck tie from WT/chi sao breakdown w/ noob to get his head and balance right.

Ground- escapes. Getting to guard easy. Got caught in beginning of guillotine going to knees a couple of times, countered by hooking leg, going for two on one, wound up with front russian and went to take back- in retrospect should have tried gator roll, maybe marcello garcia- probably too tight for the latter. Having trouble getting rubber guard once I'm out of mount/side mount, but am significantly better at staying moving and escaping- balling up nicely.

Andrew

Today,

took it easy.

Mixed skills workout 45min
    Focusing on mobilizing hips, mostly 'cos of r hip pain. Pretty sure it's illiacus and glut medius tight throwing my r hip forward and messing with my left knee
    CK
    SNT
    BT
    Open things up and relaxed, kicking out a lot of power. Feel d*mn solid. Wrists feel very strong, relaxed- think it's the RTDLs.
    Bong dar alternating sides on the bag from the same lead, pressure like clinch/shuck, kept the same lead to open each hip. Felt surprisingly good.
    Bodyflow- mat work. Worked on rock up deck squat w/ kick- still can suss the mechanic
    Dummy- messed around, relaxed shoulders- wonder why hip and elbow are always stressed coordinations for Wing Chun, not elbow and knee. Not sure I buy this as actual useful mechanical difference. Found interesting clinch app from intro to dummy- tan neck tie escape trigger shan sao to neck pulling/jut to lifting punch or palm. Gotta work on this with a partner.

Andrew

Today,

DE
    box squat
    wk 3/3
    70%rm1
    8x2
    45s ri

bar slowing way down at the end. Feeling very weak. Weird. Either fatigue or abscence of heavy enough posterior chain work- I dropped straight-legged DLs a while ago in favor of zercher GM- maybe adding them back in? Hmmm. See how same box at 60% + chains feels next cycle

behind the neck press
    wk 3/x3
    60%
    8x3
    45 s ri

power cleans
    70%
    4x4
    90 s ri

Full Contact Twist
    +55
    5x10
    1 min ri

Andrew

Today,

Workout #1).
    Instructor workshop, 2hrs, 2nd SG stuff.
    Useful points- need to keep shoulders from unsquaring on bong gherk/ side kick. Kick lower, punch forward w/ both hands w/ kick- punch w/ back hand good for this. Slant kick from chum kiu- use circular momentum of yup like weird outside round kick/knee before cutting down with the sink into forward. Mobilize hip yup to bong w/ toe on ground.

Steps and drilling. Yeah!

Workout #2).
    2 1/2 hrs
    New guy down from up north- 9sg. Decent basics, good work ethic, and seems to be game. Excellent addition. Need to put a few pounds on him. He mentioned wanting to start lifting- will have to throw some MxS work in there. Explained stance. Went through from static structure to moving structure to flowing structure to applied structure (no hands take down drill) to coaching technical points out of no-hands take down (knee control), discussed 3I approach. Finished with poon sao from free to let him play and see what I have a bit without beating on him, to free, soft and technical, to specifics of rolling, and the nature of the interactions in the roll, how they develop into simple and more subtle controlling actions, related them back to stuff in free rounds by making them happen a bit.

I think some lights came on.

Andrew

Today,

Postcall. Another horrible night. No real sleep, one disaster after another, dept. chair being an *ss on rounds. Gotta send him a case of midol for Christmas when I ditch this gig. Maybe some tampons, too.

Workout #1).

Elliptical, 20 min, 276 kcal, 2.3 mi

WT 2hrs
    New training partner by again. Structure tests static to moving. Hitting with step. Interspersed rounds on pad done technical with drills to bring out mechanics- marionnette motion, resisted wedge. Showed huen bo turn knee control as breakdown for round kick, worked it on the pad a bit. Mentioned basic similarities between how I've seen Jannis use this (from his teacher), sifu Emin, Mr. Latosa, Gary Lam, Rodney King, old-style thai boxing- vs. conventional round kick.

Last 45 min or so- chi sao. Very technical. Much explanation of pressure and position. Worked each of the 4 combinations, explained relation of elbow to hand and shoulder, pressure with the elbow as opposed to hand, linking arm and body to drive footwork, brought same back to hitting ideas from earlier, emphasized offensive nature of tan/bong/fook further.

Talky, but necessary to explain as I go, building foundation.

Workout #2).

Unilateral split jerks, 2 36lb k-bells
    30 reps
    sled-drag +134lbs

5 rounds in 12 minutes
    5400lbs of k-bell work in that time. Not bad.

RTDL
    69 5r 5l
    89 5r 5l
    104 5r 5l
    119 3r 3l
    129 Xr 1l

Weaker today than last time I maxed on this, it seems. Oh well. Still felt good. Did bodyflow and other mobility stuff between rounds for 2-5 min as recovery.

Decent day.

Andrew

Tuesday,

too dead to move after work. Passed out when I got home.

Yesterday,

Sparring-
    Good night- a couple more people on board.
    Light takedowns to start- got a nice tip on my single- take a little stealing cross step before taking them over their back leg to take up some slack.

Boxing- did a bunch of rounds. Need to get back to plyos- not feeling as sharp as I'd like. Range feels pretty dialed in.

Kickboxing- got hands and feet setting each other up nicely here. Worked some good interchanges- catching people by keeping pressure on setting down into hands after kicking, messing with their hands by kicksweeping.

Takedowns- working the front russian and 2 on 1 more. Haven't got a great feel for stretching them to take the back- need to bury the head once I hit the floor. Tried to convert to Marcello Garcia/gator roll once- still need to play with that.

Decent night.

Andrew

Today,

Workout #1).
    Elliptical
    20 min
    2.2. mi, 256 kcal

Workout #2). 1 hr 45 min
    Plyos- 6 exercises, 12 sets
    Between sets-
    3-4 min rounds
    Bodyflow/mobility x 5
    dummy x 5

Between exercises
    sled drag, +55lb
    around ankles for all sets, all directions
    6 rounds

Andrew

Today,

Workout#1).

Powerclean
    4x4
    70+% rm1
    1.5 min ri

OH squat
    3x5
    80+% rm1
    2.5 min ri

Workout #2).
    Training partner by 1 1/2 hr
    1hr hitting pads developing step and punch. Went through sled dragging, mb work, driving with body (CK and SNT), using hands to focus body (BT), relation to long pole. Got him hitting a little harder.
    30 min chi sao- positions and pressure, poon sao only.
    Finish w/ SNT. Explained some basic body stuff through 6th section.

Workout #3).
    Behind the neck press wk #3 MxS
    10x3
    133 (85+% rm1 calc)
    90 s ri

Maybe some push-presses next.

Andrew

Yesterday,

Elliptical, 20 min 276kcal, 2.4 mi

Today,

Escrima/WT- training partner by 1hr 45 min
    Escrima- roof attack, outside defense w/ heavy check to LAPD special. Figure 8 drills, Cop-Cop, high-low high-low, 6 count. Cop-cop with motion. Bringing out mechanics.

WT- leg to leg- rounds. Inside trip defense using chi sao/ chi gherk, before and after head buried. Same going into figure 8 based gum/fak defense/counter with step out.

Time for dinner,

Andrew

Today,

To paraphrase Morrisey, 'Some hangovers are bigger than others'.

Training partner by- 2hrs.
    Stance checks, static, into stance checks, moving, into flowing through force. Emphasized hip/shoulder unity, not letting force affect support leg by shucking, cutting in, changing weighting with either. Stepping with hits to MB tosses, static, to focus mitts to MB tosses moving to moving dan chi with strike pressing partner to MB tosses moving to focus mitt w/ dan chi. From here went to pummel for plum, rounds. Brought out tan, fook, jut ideas in pummel for plum as well as shan sao/neck pulling hand, elbow pressure, 3rd set SNT, huen change, elbow control. Finished with brief explanation of apps from platform, relation to body usage/feeling.

Laying some groundwork here.

Andrew