Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew's workout blog

andrew:

that's what i thought. a lot of it is in your hamstring, but i don't think you can adequately use your front hammy unless your hips are spot-on. when i first got it (and lost it shortly thereafter), i think a lot of it had to do with just how spot-on your hips are. maybe even turn past square to the point that, you're turned off to the right a little when your right leg is forward in jin ma.

keep in mind that i haven't been able to duplicate this with any regularity, as finding that sweet spot happened once in a blue moon. however, when you find it, spend the next 15 hours drilling it so your legs won't forget it even if your mind does. it'll be worth it, and i'll be jealous.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Hi Andrew

Thnx for sharing your workout details

there is a drill that we do (its also shown in wing tsun kuen book) it involves a training partner holding onto a raised and extended front leg and pulling you across the room.I find that when you have a tension in between your legs and and really push that front leg down( you can really feal it in your hamstrings) you will keep your balance and glide along

have u seen or done this drill before?
    Last edited by IRONMONK; 03-14-2005 at 05:09 AM.

RTB,

dunno if we're talking about the same thing here or not. It's the combination of hooking the front and back leg together, along with getting some bodyweight into the front leg without putting weight forward which I'm getting at. This one is weird.

Ironmonk,

I know that drill well. Also fun is having someone sit behind you on a smooth floor and grab your back knee and force you to drag them forward.

Andrew

Today so far-

Elliptical tabata protocol, 15 minutes total, 190 kcal, 1.8 miles

Max Effort
    Trap bar deadlift
    193x3
    253x3
    303x3
    353x3
    383x3
    423x3
    453x1
    483x1
    503x1
    533x1
    Had another 20 in me easy. Maybe more. Take the PR and run

Dumbell rows 1 min ri
    3x6 w/ 81 lbs

Y-sits 1 min ri
    3x6 w/ 36lb k-bell behind the head- much harder than the plate- weight position was more overhead with the plate.

Andrew

Post Max effort- brain went off. Out at dinner with friends- went somewhere else. Something post-lift and hormone related? Testosterone? Glucose? Some time of endorphin crash? Maybe my mind is just getting right to fight, cold and hungry. Feeling more like a predator.

Went home.

15x2 bag rounds 1 minute RI. Planned to go easy. Not even close.

Out to club now.

Andrew

Question

Were they all out rounds with every tool, or specific on different rounds?

Your blog is long over due, and great to see
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Specific tools. 5 rounds hands (lead, back, lead then back, lead/back/hook, lead/back lifting punch), 5 rounds legs (straight kick, outside straight kick (from yup gherk), side kick (from bong gherk), low lead round, high back round step in with rear hand shot to even up), 5 rounds misc (fak from the slip, diagonal elbow, back hand biu to lead palm to break the clinch, shoulder strike biu dead arm to free from overhook, straight kicks).

Right now I'm basically doing SPP, trying to convert my strength and speed over to skill.

Was trying to make it in to grapple this morning, but personal matters got in the way.

What have you been up to lately?

Andrew

Following CPT at mo, don't get much time to fit everything in. Tag on the end some Tabata intervals, have defintely found that the interval work has boosted my fitness during training. I do need to sort out some targets in my training though, when I get the chance to do such a thing! Was following a s hedule each week, but home life moved around so its a bit out the window. You mentioned SPP, and had a quick look at the following:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/henkin17.htm Although this seemed to cover GPP. How are you looking at SPP then?

What is your goals for your training, are you competing at mo, and therefore cylcing your training towards this?

As for everything else, trying to get a few people along to my classes but I keep blowing the profits (must stop doing that) and trying to get some tuition this year, maybe get along to see Sifu Morten if he's over to see Sifu Mik Lane. Are you 1st TG yet?
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

"Also fun is having someone sit behind you on a smooth floor and grab your back knee and force you to drag them forward."

-yeah i tried this and its a good drill(and pretty difficult!!!)

is SPP just skill training or is it skill specific conditioning training ?

Yesterday,

delinquent training partner by yesterday. Did about 1 1/2 hrs. Things too busy to do other work.

Stance drills to MB passes to hitting to dan chi to lat sao to lat sao and dan chi mixed.

Neo,

I've got some goals listed up at the beginning of this thread. Right now I'm looking at fighting again either in the summer, fall, or both. I'm trying to come up with a good, balanced mix of conditioning, skill work, and partner work.

The way I'm looking at SPP right now would be- ground based callesthentics, bag work, focus mitt work, shadowboxing, footwork drills, medicine ball games, specific sled-dragging (i.e. in stance), agility stuff, and general skills work.

I did my 1TG a while ago, I forget whether it was last year or the year before. Last year, I think. I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing. I've been doing the first 4 sections for 3 years or so now, the 5-7th and Biu Tze for about a year? A year and a half? Whatever.

How's Morten? I've heard good things about him? Are you involved with the Alliance?

IM (Faze?),

skills and skill-specific stuff.

Andrew

andrew -- methinks we are, at least in part. the proper squareness i was talking about was necessary because, if your hips aren't square, any usage of the front hamstring will more than likely simply pull the leg more sideways than back. kinda how when you're square, your knees come together and tighten your whole stance, same idear. maybe i'm thinking of something different, and i don't question the fact that what emin was doing and what you're going after is much more deep than the still rather-gross movement i'm talking about, but i think it's along the same lines.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Worked yesterday through the morning- too tired to train this AM. Brutal night at work.

Today-

Training partner by-
    40 minutes poon sao
    10 minute reflex drills from closing
    30 minutes free chi sao, mixing through 7th section

Oly lifting
    Power cleans
    45x5
    95x5
    115x5
    133x5
    158x5
    183x3
    198x1
    208x X
    208x X
    203x1
    183x2
    203x1
    183x3
    203x1
    183x3
    208x1

183 much better working weight than 176. 176 is much too easy to muscle. Wave structure with singles worked well.

Hanging knee raises
    5x10
    Setted with
    figure 8s with 72 lb k-bell
    5x20

RTB,

dunno if it's the same thing we're talking about or not. I think what you're describing with the hips is a point where the hams pull through the front hip, acting as a hip extensor, pulling you forward. This is part of what I'm messing with, but not all of it. As I'm not exactly sure what 'it' is, it's kinda hard to talk about. I found something right, and I know how to keep finding it, but I'm not sure what it is. Helpful, I know. . .

Andrew

****, as long as you found something and can reliably get it back, that's all that matters. this recent talk about it has left me thinking about it too much. i spent an hour waiting for my fiancée to finish up a map she was making (her job) working my feets, and had no luck finding what i was hoping for. at least i got some decent footwork practice in.

as far as the hip extensor bit, you're spot on for the starting point. but i've found that when i get my hips just right, things kinda lock into place. ah well.

Today,

still burned from the other night's call. If Sunday isn't mellow, I'm scr*wed for the week.

Box squats 16.5" box (parallel), low bar, 205lbs + chains
    8x2 45s ri

Push press in front of the neck
    45x6
    95x6
    133x6
    148x6
    158x6

Had another 10lbs easy. Must emphasize presses. Upper body strength is significantly less than back and legs

Lunges
    2 55lb k-bells
    3x8 1 min ri

Try to get some real cardio in tommorrow.

RTB,

My take is that there's kind of a cam effect. Once you get the hips square, there's a shorter line of pull somewhere in the hams, the same line as when the hips are angled (which pulls you off line), or are not internally rotated and are front weighted (though some other stuff comes to the fore here). Shorter line of pull= more efficient. It's when you don't have that full squaring up, that you've got a longer line of pull, and lose some efficiency. *Please note this is a working hypothesis, I reserve the right to be utterly f*cking wrong*.

Andrew

wisdom, that.