Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew's workout blog

Today,

Missed sparring out at Jerry's. Got caught on the 110 and missed the 5. No chance of making it by the time I turned around.

Came home, decided to start with the plyos again.

HFL' Explosive Power'
    Rhythm Skips 2x40m
    Ankle bounces 2x15
    High Knee runs 2x20m
    Butt kicks 2 x20m
    Rhythm Bounds 2x20m
    2 Leg Power Hops 2x10
    Power Skips 2x 20m
    Plyo pushups off knees 3x8
    Twist tosses 2x10

Long Pole raise/lower 15 reps/side between sets
    Section 2 armbar defense 20reps between exercises 1-7
    Chicken wing defense between last two

Watched Parisi Speed School Agility DVD prior to workout. Directions changes on section 2 relevant. Essentially, squat under as in a snatch or snatch drop, into deceleration position, use plyo from braking to drive into other leg, use drive into other leg + weight drop to bounce back in

Long pole raise lower- sumo DL sort of rack pull position to squat under in snatch

Interesting.

Good workout.

Fa_jing,

In the strictest sense I don't know how much martial benefit one gets out of SNT. Free motion according to those principles may be more useful, or breaking pieces out and working them, for pure martial benefit. Even so, it makes for an excellent refresher, jumping off point, or consolidator (i.e. this is what I've been working on, need to work on, just worked on). for a workout.

Andrew

Today's workouts:

1). ME
    low bar PL squat to parallel
    135x3
    185x3
    225x3
    240x3
    255x3
    270x3
    315x1
    335x X broke forward. Part mental, part not enough air on setup
    335x1 a little high. Fiance worried given prior bomb out.
    335x1 Way legal.

Watched EFS exercise index before this. Focusing on looking up, squeezing shoulder blades, crushing bar. Groove got much easier to find. 255-285 probably a good range for working weights if I want to chase the groove.

Trap bar shrugs
    3x6 1min ri
    too easy

Hanging knee raises
    3x15 1min ri

2). Visit to training partner in Redondo Beach.

1hr or so.
    Poon sao.
    Some rounds of closing and timing work, light.

3). Recovery on elliptical, lsd.
    20 min, 1.9 mi, 208 kcal.

Not bad for a post-call day.

Andrew

Question

Andrew, your blog doesn't mention the amount of time spent training at classes. Would be interested to see how much time you also put in there, and get totally jealous
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Today's workouts,

2 1/2 hrs at instructor's seminar in Santa Monica
    Basic stuff for 1 SG. Got to do olay around with my pinch headlock a good bit giving people attacks and making their lives difficult. Huen pak transition for dan chi interesting. Noticed I've been using that sparring sometimes when someone checks my punch- gonna teach that as an app- dan chi to lat sao to live.

Back home to teach:

2 1/2 hrs.
    About 1 hr escrima to start. Gotta lead off with this from now on. Good way to get energy up. Zoned hits into #1 off-line and strike, into balance check from prior drill alternated with fade outs to work pressure at a distance, into alternated zoned and landed hits, into climbing stick/wrist to head into same motion without weapon, pulling in the rear hand. Lots of short power work.

WT time- reps dealing with low kicks- crashing, evading, stop kicking, yup/bong gherk, into free rounds with just legs into free rounds lat sao just hands into free rounds hands and legs. Finish up with a few runs through Biu Tze and CK.

Too dead to do anything else today. On call again tommorrow.

Andrew

"WT time- reps dealing with low kicks- crashing, evading, stop kicking, yup/bong gherk, into free rounds with just legs into free rounds lat sao just hands into free rounds hands and legs. Finish up with a few runs through Biu Tze and CK."

I noticed you like to free things up-looks like good practise to me!!!

faze.

Quote Originally Posted by spiraler
    *slap*slap*slap*
    *ban*ban*ban*

Faze,

I make a point of having every drill progression have variability built into it, and try to make sure that every practice has a live component. I feel this is essential for building skill rapidly and effectively.

Andrew

Today,

Last night brutal. 2 in the box, 2 trying to go there, one almost wrapped.

AM
    Tabata elliptical
    1.8 mi
    200kcal

PM
    CK
    BT

plyos as on 3/31

rhythm bounds- warmup helpful. side to side action helpful.

Between sets
    raise lower long pole 10r 10l, 5 thrusts r/l

Between exercises
    3rd section air, bag, dummy, bag w/ green band

SNT

Andrew

Last night brutal. 2 in the box, 2 trying to go there, one almost wrapped.
    Is that a reference to your work? Do you work in ER?

Thanks for the PM.

Had another go at FGB workout you pointed out. Managed three rounds but ended up 1:30 rest in between because I was seriously puffing and decided to do it with lower weights and build up. Dumbbells for thrusters were 20lb each and barbell deadlift high pulls were 54lb. My rower though isn't a C2 and my wife says it's harder than the C2 at her gym. That helps to Massage the ego a bit when I see the meagre calorie score it says after 1 min of rowing. Find that by the time I get to the box jumps my legs are stuffed from the first two.

Do you feel that you will get to the five rounds just through actually doing the workout, or do you think there's things that you can do to aid improvement?
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Today,

Workout #1
    DE
    Box squats 13.75" box
    8x2
    200lbs

Front Press 60%rm1
    5x3
    90lbs

DB rows
    3x8
    81lbs

Y-sits
    3x10
    36lb k-bell

Workout #2
    CK
    BT
    10 2 minute rounds, kicking

5 2 minute rounds on dummy
    alternating w/
    sled drags around ankles with 55lbs on sled

SNT

Alasdair,

yeah, it's b*tching about work. I (and my patients) have been getting killed lately. I work a post-surgical ICU and it's been a mess.

FGB- It's basically a form of EDT. You should be able to do 5 rounds from day one. Maybe not good rounds, but 5 rounds. Then try to improve every time. Increased VO2 max and muscular endurance will help, I'd imagine, and from what I can tell, it should help increase both of those capacities. You could probably pick a couple of exercises and work 'em to get better at them, but part of the Crossfit point is to keep yourself from adapting too much (see the site for their explanation).

Andrew

Today,

CK
    BT

6 rounds

unilateral split jerks, same arm as lead leg, 36 lb k-bell
    5R5L

MB tosses, same mechanic
    10R10L

Heavy bag
    2 minutes

all lead shots, variable head motion, with combi's

wallbag
    20punches

SNT

Andrew

Today,

tabata protocol on elliptical
    1.9 mi
    210 kcal

later,

oly workout
    Power cleans
    95x5
    133x5
    163x5
    183x5
    183x5
    183x5
    183x5
    183x5
    finding groove, need more time at this weight. feel quicker overall. probably the plyos.

RDL
    3x10
    1.5 min ri
    time to add some good mornings in, maybe cycle these out for a bit

windmills
    5x5
    72 lb k-bell

face-pulls
    3x20 w/ green band

Feeling better overall. Partner work should pick up soon.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS
    Faze,

I make a point of having every drill progression have variability built into it, and try to make sure that every practice has a live component. I feel this is essential for building skill rapidly and effectively.

Andrew
    that makes sense.Regarding the variability is it completely random from your training partner or is a certain set attack?

What about chi sao?do you practise the chi sao sections(we do them cooperatively at the moment but i think thats becuase we are learning the cycle first) with this idea?do u train free chi-sao?

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    My rower though isn't a C2 and my wife says it's harder than the C2 at her gym. That helps to Massage the ego a bit when I see the meagre calorie score it says after 1 min of rowing.
    FWIW, I've got a C2 that I do HIIT on. I always used to set it at 10 - the whole ego thing like you mention. I read that elite rowers often put it on 6 so I eventually tried it and I've stuck with it and prefer it muchly. Are/were you a rower? I like to make the analogy between a fat stable training hull and a sleek racing hull - less resistance, higher rating, smoother stroke, etc. Interestingly I set the main readout at "time to row 500m" and it's pretty much the same whether on resistivity of 10 or 6.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Today,

training partner by- 1hr 15 min or so
    Dynamic stance work- cleaning up some. Starting to get together.
    Chi gherk- basic drills, focus on keeping pressure up top, having hips lined up to give power
    lat sao 1- legs alone, rounds
    lat sao free- rounds- needs to stop trying to hold me away. Hangs out in wrong range, tweaks and tenses when his holding gets shocked. Need to think how to train this out. Seeking contact/reassurance of positions
    chi sao/lat sao free- just playing.

Edge has come off a bit after his layoff. Need to loosen him up a bit when pressure comes- in combo with technical tune up? Gotta think about this.

Later,

FGW
    25/24/16/20/72
    22/22/18/20/69

switched every 10 on the jerks. Feels much better all around.

Faze,

depends on the person, what we're working on, and their repetoire. Generally, my progression is reps of situation/response, variation (s) /response, then variations (free, with what's been done before)/ response, then initial situation free. For instance- straight punch from motion (person is moving on you)- defend with inside or outside punch- reps, straight punch either hand defend inside or outside punch (free variations), light rounds just hands just straight attacks, light rounds just hands anything, and so on.

Chi sao- that's complicated. I think of it as learning individual skills. The cycles I'll use to work on timing and speed, once I have a feel for having holes covered, and I think it's important not to force the cycle when someone gives you a pressure that isn't part of the cycle. Basically, it depends where you are in your learning. You have to be able to work free to have anything worth a ****, but if you just brawl, you never get better.

Toby,

I keep my elliptical at '1' for my intervals. I think I was reading somewhere that Taku does the same. For interval stuff, you're going for speed and intensity, as I understand it, and increasing resistance may make it into more of a strength-endurance thing.

Andrew