Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew's workout blog

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS
    I keep my elliptical at '1' for my intervals. For interval stuff, you're going for speed and intensity, as I understand it, and increasing resistance may make it into more of a strength-endurance thing.
    Exactly my opinion these days. Maybe I should try 1 on the rower, although 6 is pretty good.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Today's workouts:

Wrestling 1hr 15minutes
    Rolled a little before hand with a tiny beginner.
    Single legs- leg up, head in armpit, press across body with head, take over backwards- LEVEL CHANGE!!!, if pushes head to side, press with side of head through body and pick double.
    Single leg defense
    -stomp the leg down while pulling elbows up
    -push head to side, aggressive cross-face, block hip or leg to smash down
    -lace leg to outside, single neck tie with one arm, break grip with other
    Handfighting
    Pummelling- guy coaching likes a nice high elbow to sneak into your own armpit- kup jarn/ teacups, silk-reeling gets mechanic nicely

At home: 2hr 15min
    Regular partner by.
    Escrima 1hr- #1 strike hitting, roof attack from point, roof attack off-lining, roof attack walking up and back, roof-attack vs/ #1 circling- breaking up timing

WT-remainder
    lat sao 2 intro
    gan impulse
    crashing with the back hand for gan dar- hip mechanic to get power and cover line
    reps from several setups
    lat sao 1 +2 free

CK
    BT
    SNT

Last up,
    Standing rows at 60 degree bend w/ t-bar
    191 lbs
    3x6
    1min ri

10 rounds alternating
    pole raise lower + thrust 10/5/10/5
    sled drags + 70lbs

It was a good day.

Andrew

Are/were you a rower?
    In my dreams, yeah Unfortunately, my rower has one speed - TOUGH. Got it off my brother 2nd hand but its good enough for a workout. Has a reasonable display, I'm not sure about the calorie expenditure though.
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Yesterday,

Private lesson-1hr
    7th section
    clean up body mechanics. Use more legs, esp. on dai tan. Relax forearms to help handle tok. Let the force go out, then cut the angle.

Evening- class- 1 1/2 hrs.
    Mellow. Stance, some dan chi based on stance/elbow force games, into some hitting, into some closing drills all focusing on crashing with the elbow then firing hip and elbow.

Still a bit off mentally. Wanted to squat, but was feeling like I'd hurt myself if I got under any real weight. Maybe today.

Andrew

Yesterday,

1 1/2 hrs
    CK
    BT

plyos with 2 minutes on dummy between sets
    long pole raise/lower 20r/20l between exercises for first 7 exercises, working on getting low and opening hips
    last few exercises doing body flow stuff for 3-5 minutes between exercises/sets

SNT

Not squatting a good call- r mid back is still tweaky from Saturday- either the back roll out of a hard takedown or stick work got me- maybe both.

Andrew

Today,

back in the groove

tabata, elliptical
    1.8 mi
    204 kcal

wrestling a bit over an hour
    Stance- a little lower, get it from the hip and knee
    inside control
    hand-fighting for inside control
    arm-drag- catch it when they reach for you or post on you- works better 2nd or 3rd time. Catch on the radius and whip the arm around while going high into the armpit and pulling- don't pull yourself around, MOVE THEM!
    Arm drag sets up 3 takedowns into taking the back
    1). Body lock and control near shoulder- from here either slam or smash them down in the direction of the pinned near shoulder. Once on the ground, re-grip to head and arm and pull them back into you to take the back
    2).Guy runs- creep down the body, big hooks to the ankles and slam, then hustle to take the back
    3). Step on the knee- from behind with the body lock- foot to the back of the knee and fall back- right into taking the back. Much like the dummy takedown.
    Arm drag counter- redrag if pull on tricep, not up in armpit

ME
    PL low bar squat
    135x3
    185x3
    225x3
    245x3
    265x3
    285x3
    310x1
    330x1
    350x1 PR
    370x1 PR!
    Last one was a true max- maybe 5-10 lbs left in me. Finally figured out the low bar position- got the thing nice on the rear delts and felt like a rock. 400 will fall soon.

Push-press
    45x6
    95x6
    133x6
    158x6
    158x6
    153x2- put a 5 on one side instead of a 10. ouch.
    158x4- unable to finish set, oh well.

Decided not to fight in June. Haven't been getting enough flight time. Break seems to have been good for my sanity which was getting tenuous. Gotta re-assess my training now that I'm not aiming for a fight. Maybe add some high-rep k-bell stuff in 2x a week for body comp.

Debating doing some sled dragging to round out the night.

Andrew

Worked overnight, got home. Before nap-

Workout #1
    -about 1hr 45min

Plyos HFL level 1 upper body, then lower body
    -should do these separate days- total of 11 exercises for 25 total sets
    -overhead throws while kneeling- playing with mechanicsof chest/ hip. Should do these light and easy to play with coordination
    -rhythm, speed, power skips- coming together. Finally understanding these.

Between exercises- sled dragging with 70 lbs. Figured out that straps fit perfectly over crown of head. Whole body felt springy and connected after dragging this way. Very cool.

Between sets- 2 min rounds either dummy or body flow.

Workout #2
    -about 1 1/2hrs

Snatch drops
    45x5
    65x3
    90x3
    then
    110x3 for 10 sets.
    Missed 6th set. Mind wandered. Need to get down quicker. Shoulders feel rock solid.

T-bar shrugs- vertical
    3x6
    1min ri

lunges
    3x8
    1 min ri
    Can feel the tweaky weak point on my r hip with r leg forward. Should do these with less weight and try to open this region up. Maybe some pole thrusts into a lunge position for reps.

hanging leg raises
    3x6
    1min ri

Andrew

Last night-

training partner- about 1 1/2 hfs
    SNT
    intro to kicking- pads, air
    front, outside, side kick
    stop kicking-reps
    stop kicking, yup, bong- live
    sweeps-reps
    shin to shin- go behind and shin lock-live
    legs- low kicks, sweeps, go behind, knee control-live
    lat sao- hands and legs, prog 1

Nice sequence. Work capacity coming up on partner. Focus mitt rounds in 1-2 more practices.

Andrew

Today,

Tabata elliptical 15 minutes
    1.9 mi
    211 kcal

Sifu was in the area so he dropped by for a 1 hr. private lesson

New dan chi sao for 5th SG- sick fak sao/bong/chan sao/kao/shoulder bong/jum/gwat sequence. Lots of higher sections brought to dan chi to work 1 handed

fak pak for last 1/3 1st section, working the bong defense. I figured something out on the elbow on the bong vs. fak/lop in there- gotta sneak the bong in, can't fight . Interesting feel.

Chi gherk for 5th section- Nice! Side kick/yup gherk/kao? gherk thing. Getting the legs in made the footwork crisper.

Finished with 15 minutes mixing it up. Another trip to the meat grinder, loads of fun as always. I've definitely lost an edge since he was last in town. Gotta get back to work. Gas was better though, shoulders not an issue- I'm hooked into my body better. My footwork is coming more naturally now, too, it seems. Hands have gone to hell, though.

Decided not to go to Jerry's. Needed some rest.

72 lb kettlebell hang snatch 3r 3l
    99lb sled drag

15 rounds, no breaks
    24 minutes
    Volume on snatches- 6540lbs

Good day.

Andrew

Lost the last 2 days to errands, getting ready for party, and friend showing up on doorstep having a meltdown. Sometimes it s*cks playing the responsible one.

Got some work in today.

Training partner by-
    Escrima 1.5 hrs
    lots of hitting #! and #2, including hits up and down the line
    roof attack vs. various size weapon from 16" stick to 2 handed weapon. Added in balance checks, breakaways, and move in and attack, move off and attack off the counters. Nice.
    A little two handed hitting with the big clubs to finish- my boy's hands couldn't hang. Oh well.

WT about 30-45min.
    Went throung dan chi for 1st and 2nd SG. Partner recovering from flu and fried out fast. Got things feeling a bit smoother, he's starting to use jum our way rather than his old way.

DE
    box squats 15"
    low bar
    45 s ri
    8x2
    1 more week of this, then on to the next cycle

lunges
    3x10
    1min ri
    **** these hurt. Part of it is the bar in the clean position choking me. Right leg feeling a bit better.

windmills
    3x7rl
    1.5 min ri
    72lb k-bell
    hmm, 5x8 next then bent presses or time to use the oly dumbells and go up in weight?

t-bar shrugs at 60 degree bend
    3x8
    191 lbs
    1 min ri
    should go up by 20 lbs on these.

Decent day, time for a party.

Andrew

Spent Sunday recovering from party. Wound up helping some neighbors dig up and move a 15' high tree a block. Called that a workout and went back to bed.

Today,

#1 1.5hr
    Training partner by- busy shooting pilot and has been flaking.
    Worked exclusively on new dan chi. Cooked the footwork over and over. Starting to get a nice feel for it. Biu Tze chi sao is in there. Interesting.

#2 about 1.5 hr
    Lower body plyos
    7 exercises, 2 sets of each
    2 minutes on sections between exercises +10r/10l kicks on bag (worked chi gherk sequence into this)
    2 minutes on dummy between sets

Need another 1-2 sessions on this level, then time to move on. Starting to feel crisp.

Busy day coming it looks like. I'll take some rest time.

Andrew

Today,

#1).
    Private lesson w/ sifu, 1 1/2 hrs.
    Si-sok was there, wound up working with him doing constant reps on the chi gherk additions to 5th, 6th, 7th sections chi sao with sifu coaching. Very useful, given the amount of kicking I've been doing lately. The chi gherk really refines the footwork and control of CoG . Extremly cool, all the more for working it with someone who has the chi gherk programs already.

#2).
    Oly liftings, 2+ hrs.
    Power Cleans
    5x3
    Need work on catch. Jumping back. Pull feels good. I should do 20-30 singles and doubles some time soon.

OH Squats 3min ri
    10x3
    missed the 7th set. Generally felt really solid. Need to do over head lockouts again.

DB rows 1min ri
    3x8

Y-sits 1min ri
    3x6
    41lb dumbell behind head

Andrew

Today,

R hip rocked. Has been hurting for last 2 weeks, but the overheads and leg work made falling asleep last night rough.

#1). Quick recovery and body comp workout
    kettlebell swings 20 reps switching hands with 72 lb k-bell
    sled -drag with 114lbs
    5 rounds
    Under 15 minutes, forgot to time it. No breaks, good cardio workout. Nice snap on the swings. 20 is usually about 35-40 seconds for me. Should up the reps to 25 next time.
    Volume- 7200lbs

#2).
    CK
    BT
    10 2 min rounds kicking on the bag, 1 min ri
    6 rounds just doing sections with chi gherk, focusing on fluidity, crisp leg transitions.
    SNT

Private lesson with sifu Emin again tommorrow.

Andrew

Yesterday,

Private lesson with sifu- 2hrs.
    Main training partner was by at same time. Wound up working on new dan chi, fak/lop for 8th SG, chi gherk for 7th section. Footwork key for fak/lop- whole basic idea is to get moving, and keep the distance, otherwise 6th section happens. Had a beer with sifu afterwards and hung out a bit. Good practice, yet wound up completely depressed on ride home. These things happen.

Andrew

Yesterday,

training partner by. Did close to a good 2 hours.

Constant reps working new material.

Tan/chan defense/attack to fak- pressure and body motion dependant. Bag drills seemed to help.

Fak/lop- seems to really require footwork emphasis more than either dan chi or 6th section. Slightly different range. Interesting- I think the torso motion requires moving back on the diagonal while the footwork follows (on the backwards motion) the tight arc. Kind of an interesting knee/hip/body relation.

5th section- thinking more about this- need to ask why not use the crashing tan from 2nd section. Probably because of the down force. Should just play with that tommorrow. Should tweak that forward straightening on the double grab like BT- like Jannis was showing me to further misalign shoulder. Gotta play with sequencing the kick/pull interaction more.

6th section- moving the legs beneath you with the CoG more stablet. Interesting. Challenging to hit all this in one beat. So much like an oly lift.

7th section- kao resonse to dai tok- keeping it forward. Think I figured out something slick with the chan sao, stealing the lift to send it forward rather than getting knocked back. Sinking to fire dai tok- working nicely- gotta try that wrestling today.

Overall- this stuff brings out the footwork even more. Going over things with sifu- the whole 'elbow moves body stays; body moves elbow stays' is artificial. Obvious, but I pushed it as far as I could, and then found where it breaks down, as usual.

Andrew