Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats your goal?

and meeting sexy instructor as Jenifer Lopez ..... and living happily there after
    "happily ever after" is a pretty short time with J-Lo, looking at her track record.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

"I still have to use the larynx and mouth, or the keyboard - Anerlich"

Why didn't I think of this? You are most wise! =)

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich
    "happily ever after" is a pretty short time with J-Lo, looking at her track record.

past in not equal to future, and am I going to live forever or i might die the next second? GOD knows.

short time can be ever after if one appreciate what one has.

short time can be ever after if one appreciate what one has.
    Then lusting after J-Lo would be a bad idea (desire, suffering, Buddhism, yadayada...).
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

I have no special goals with Wing Chun.I just want to get as good as possible in it and to be able to practice and teach it for a very long time.I like it!...

O.K! teaching a class of sexy movie stars* (1) would not be so bad either!...

*(1) Female sexy movie stars only!...

WC Goal?

To develop the right wu sao and timing to deal with Cerebrus at the crossing or Yama's black dog at the river on the way home..

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich
    Then lusting after J-Lo would be a bad idea (desire, suffering, Buddhism, yadayada...).
    with one's mind grasping one's own though, what is not illusive becomes illusive.

your suffering is forsure since you love to graps.

see, there is different between lotus from the mud and you dive right into mud.

lotus stays clean but no guarentee about you not get stick and stuck in the mud while diving into the mud. hehehehe that is Zen.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-10-2005 at 10:52 PM.

your suffering is forsure since you love to graps.
    I don't know how to graps, so I don't know that I'd love it.

Patronising would also lead to suffering, I'd imagine.

HI Jim,
    For those of us that have to work 40 hours a week and family responsibilities I truly believe that wing chun is the most efficient means of self defense. I also practice wing chun because unlike most martial arts there is not a direct correlation between conditioning and fighting ability. For the street as opposed to the ring wing chun is the best form of self defense for the average person that doesnt have 20 hrs a week to train.
    Dave c

Lots of people have what they call "goals" -- that doesn't make them realistic or attainable. Nor does it mean that they are necessarily doing those things that will produce the results they're after. IME a lot of the "marketing" of WCK is directed at folks with those unrealistic or unattainable goals, and then with cooperative practice they are sold that they are achieving their goals.

Folks that think they can fight well (using WCK or anything for that matter) without good cardio or conditioning are living in a fantasy world -- but there will always be some willing to sell them that fantasy. Folks that think cardio or being in good condition is only for the young are also living in an unhealthy world. Folks that think WCK is for self-defense or that WCK is a good form of self-defense don't understand self-defense. Folks that think they will be able to defeat larger, faster, stronger folks without becoming highly skilled themselves are living in a fantasy world. Folks that think they can become highly skilled without good cardio, without good conditioning, without doing a great deal of fighting, are living in a fantasy world. There is a lot of fantasy surrounding WCK.

The real question is do you have realistic goals (and are you taking realistic steps to reach those goals) or do you have unrealistic fantasies/dreams? If you are an out-of-shape, out-of-condition, WCK "practitioner"; if you're someone that doesn't fight as part of your training; if you are into role-playing, practicing hei gung, using dim mak, practicing iron palm, developing your internal power, etc.; and so on; then you don't have goals, only fantasies.

BTW, gangersterfist -- you better have good cardio for that goal!

Terence if your wing chun is dependent on a high state of cardio then you are not doing Yip Man wing chun.
    Dave c

Quote Originally Posted by saifa5k
    Terence if your wing chun is dependent on a high state of cardio then you are not doing Yip Man wing chun.
    Dave c
    don't forget to break the opium pipe out ! keep it traditional
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie
    don't forget to break the opium pipe out ! keep it traditional

**Drops pipe**

You mean we don't have to smoke this stuff?
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gangsterfist
    **Drops pipe**

You mean we don't have to smoke this stuff?
    hope you didn't burn a whole in your silk PJ's or pretty sash

anyway back to the regular scheduled program [ construction of the living robot blue print 1900 ]
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Hey guys,

Some interest thoughts and some interesting opinions!

How about this? Should we all start doing what the Brazilians call (spelling is going to be way off on this one but it sounds like) Wuistro! Steroids! This will boost our recovery time and supercharge our athletic performance. Why not? The guys in the UFC do it and since they are the standard most use for real fighting level shouldn't we do that to? Even the average guys at the local BJJ schools I am friends with love Creatine (sp?) to boost their strength for the average tourny!

Seriously tho!

How about this ultra sensative topic of CARDIO!

First lets realistically define exactly what we are doing or something close to what we are doing! Are we or are we not supposed to be a Rou Jing art in which Soft carries the Hard? Or! Are we some other type of art that uses a different base?

Now, if we so-called WCK practitioners are are truly a Rou Jing based art then isn't Carido something that goes against the principles of our art? Why am I saying that? Because cardio causes the heart rate to accelerate/pump where as the goal is just the opposite of our training! Rou Jing, Stillness, etc.. Any true practitioner of these sort of arts work on slowing down the heart rate and relaxing the mind! Now! I know that sparring regular helps your get comfortable and relax during exchange but Cardio type exercise is counter-productive to our training! Fighting in the street is much different from multiple rounds in the ring or a time limit on the mat. Two totally different types of fighting. Street fighting is fast anf furious. If a fight lasts more than a a few seconds in reality then you have already lost IMHHO. Thats when things start breaking down or the other guy was just better! Certainly at this point a back up system is needed but we are not talking about that are we? We are talking about Wing Chun Kuen!

Agree or disagree?

Another thing that is very interesting to me is all the talk about MMA/UFC being the way to go. If your stuff does not hold up in those venues then its certainly not worth much right! Well, when will we see someone/anyone from that camp entering/competing or winning one of those or any event even similar to that with their UFC ready WCK? Until then I feel they need to show us some sort of results or placing status! Wheres the results? Anyone??? Please show us the real results from those competitions? Look forward to seeing them!

I am sure the cardio topic is not going to sit well with some but first we need to define what we actually are doing! Agree or disagree?

Regards,
    Jim