Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasn't Kung Fu Always Been About Money?

Hasn't Kung Fu Always Been About Money?

I was reading an interview with a BaJi teacher in Ohio - he discussed how in China, martial arts were for the rich. If you were rich, you could afford the best teachers, spend time training. That even today, the wealthy appreciate the health-giving and self-defense aspects of CMA. But in America it is not as appreciated so much, so you teach who you can.

Comments?

I know a great many people whine about the cost of lessons or thier teacher trying to make money... what is wrong with a teacher making a living?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

I'm sure that's true, at least to some degree. But of course "back in the day" you could make a good living as a skilled MA, so it was a valuable trade to learn. Currently, kungfu-centric job opportunites are slim pickings.

Nothing is wrong with it. Heck, even Mc Dojo teachers have alot to offer thier clients. It's when you get guys claiming to be the best of the best, charging outraguous rates, and delivering substandard Chung Moo Quan level martial arts that you have problems.

Many feel in the USA, you have to offer total Mcdojo material to even keep students, so the hard core guys look down on you as a a sell out. They never stop to think that the 70 yearold in your Taiji class has had tremendous beniffits from your teaching after his heart attack. They never think about the 11 year old ADD kid that got off ridelin because you gave him a good dose of structured exercise in a format he really enjoys. Or the single mom who has refound her energy because you taught her a good holding set. Or the 17 year old girl who fought off an agressive boyfreind because you taught her how to use a few techniques from a form you learned out of a book, or the 10 year old who took on and adult that jumped her 21 year old brother, and gave him the fighting chance he needed to save both their asses.

All the above are real case story's of some of my students when I taught, the last one bruised the guys ribs and knocked the wind out of him with a jumpside kick and everything (Sounds like she hit him in the floating rib from behind and to the side). I got the story from her, her Mom, AND her brother who came in to class to thank me for teaching her to do that.

The way I see it, just charge a fair amount,work on having enough students to pay the bills, and make a deacent living. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this and make darn near six figures if you market right.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    The way I see it, just charge a fair amount,work on having enough students to pay the bills, and make a deacent living. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this and make darn near six figures if you market right.
    So, where's your Porsche parked?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Greetings,

The answer is NO. Chinese martial arts were/are about WAR. China has had its warrior class whose chief responsibility was readiness to protect king and country and to kick assiduities when necessary. The Yang family (of the Yang Spear technique) is an example of this. The guy may have meant the ruling class. Money did not make it in those days; skill and ability did, as evidenced by the Wen Wu examinations.

mickey

And WAR was in the special interests of the ruling class. The ruling class could AFFORD to train and PAY soldiers. Money has always been a factor one way or another. But in later days it was quite true that it took some kind of benefactor to get to choose which schools you went to.

Not everyone was a begging monk teaching along the path. This whole mythology is movieland stuff. because even the begging monk was given all that he required. Shelter, food, firewood, maid service .

ADD kid that got off ridelin because you gave him a good dose of structured exercise in a format he really enjoys.
    Then he didn't have ADD.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I have had about a dozen students who were on Riddelin that got off of it after spending a few sessions taking classes from me. This also includes D-F grades going to C-B and even A's here and there. All I really did was train those kids harder than the rest of the class. Lots of holding postures and such.

To be honest, from my teaching experiance I don't believe in ADD at all. I think it's just a poor diet and exercise issue. Those kids need physical discaplines that require alot of concentraition and such and they need more raw fruits and veggies than most.

In fact, of the kids I delt with that were on ridelin because of ADD only one didn't improve dramatically because of the training, and it turned out he had some exceptional home life issues with his family.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 03-09-2005 at 11:55 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

ADD is a crock of sh!t. If you read the diagnostic guidelines, you could fit it to almost any body. Once again, a drug company has tried to create a catch-all to make money off the unsuspecting. Snake oil kind of stuff.

However, there ARE compulsive disorders that can be treated by ridalin, but there are many other methods that should be tried first.

Most of the kids put on ridalin are at the reccomendation of teachers (when did THEY go to medical school?), and are representative of our countries unwillingness to enforce discipline amongst our young. Lazy teachers + lazy parents = drugged kids.

I beleive RD's story - he gave those kids what they needed. They should not have been on the drug in the first place.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

ADD and ADHD are not a crock of sh.it, but there does seem to be a lot of people diagnosed with it who likely shouldn't have been.

Ritalin isn't exactly what I would call a safe drug to be distributing so freely, it has in fact become a large problem for narcos all over because of the all to quick distribution of it by doctors.

Every year, disorders are pinpointed and drugs to wayley the disorder are created and distributed. Every year, wrong diagnosis of various symptoms and diseases are made.

This is because the person at the very bottom of the graduatin class in medical school is still a doctor. Should standards be raised again? Maybe.

Consider that it wasn't so long ago that insane people were thought to be possessed by demons as opposed to having whacked out brain chemistry or severe depression or even environmental poisoning, etc etc.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

They should not have been on the drug in the first place.
    Which is my point. They never had ADD. Exercise and discipline doesn't help an ADD child at all.

ADD is not a crock of ****, but it IS completely overdiagnosed and adderall and ritalin and simlar drugs overperscribed.

I know because I was/am ADHD, back before it became popular to label every bored kid with the disorder. You never really outgrow it, but you learn coping mechanisms...and it's got its upsides too...
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

remember the southpark where everyone had add and the guys solution was to beat the crap out of them and they listened. lol i love that episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySlap Too
    I was reading an interview with a BaJi teacher in Ohio - he discussed how in China, martial arts were for the rich. If you were rich, you could afford the best teachers, spend time training. That even today, the wealthy appreciate the health-giving and self-defense aspects of CMA. But in America it is not as appreciated so much, so you teach who you can.

Comments?

I know a great many people whine about the cost of lessons or thier teacher trying to make money... what is wrong with a teacher making a living?
    Monkeyslap, apparently you haven't been keeping up on your kungfu movies. The poor could learn kungfu by showing up at the doorstep of a famous master, pestering him non stop for a few days and showing some stickwithitude. either that or cleaning up after him for months on end, or even years!

Since we have gone off topic, I will indulge a little,

If you know someone with ADD and ADHD, remove sugar from their diet. All forms of it. Take away the hidden sugars as well-- cereals, sodas etc. Replace it with a vegetable rich diet (I'm not excluding meat though that would not be a bad idea, I'm saying that it should be vegetable RICH). Any kind of sugar should come from fruits. You should start seeing a change within 2-4 weeks. I have also heard that wheat should be eliminated as well.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey
    Since we have gone off topic, I will indulge a little,

If you know someone with ADD and ADHD, remove sugar from their diet. All forms of it. Take away the hidden sugars as well-- cereals, sodas etc. Replace it with a vegetable rich diet (I'm not excluding meat, I'm saying that it should be vegetable RICH). Any kind of sugar should come from fruits. You should start seeing a change within 2-4 weeks. I have also heard that wheat should be eliminated as well.

mickey

what about cornbread master? can we have dat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.