Saturday 9am-1pm
    Sunday 9am-1pm

McElroy Conference Room, 2nd floor
    Boston College

http://www.wailunchoi.com/vids/index.html

http://www.liuhopafa.com
    (info about liu ho pa fa)

Cost: $150 for 2 days, $75 for 1 day.

Feel free to PM or email me for more info.
    Last edited by cvp72; 03-30-2005 at 02:16 PM. Reason: additional link...more info

Where is it being held?

my man in Amsterdam (sic) is working on that.....

the cost will be $150 for two days, $75 for one day and most likely it will be near Harvard.

More videos will be added in the next two weeks.

so that's a dialectical variation for 6 harmony mantis?

whoever goes say hello to Lester (my Little Brother) Leung and Yon Lee. they ought to be nearby.

To the best of my limited knowledge their is no connection between Liuhe Tanglang and LiuheBafa outside the nomenclature.
    Six Harmonies is romanized Liuhe.

Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

since you seem to have an inside angle on the differences...would you care to explain the diff btwn tl and bf? i thought they were strikingly similar, with the exception of the hook claw grasshopper techniques overlain on the ba fa movements .
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 03-18-2005 at 12:21 AM.

To be honest I know little about LHBF. The liuhe aspect is in reference to the three internal harmonies and the three external harmonies (something common in ALL CMA). Now I guess in that regard they are similar. Outside of that there is no similarity. LHBF is a combo of Xing Yi / Taiji / Bagua. Has one form that is hours long (JK but it is long). To the best of my knowledge (limited of course) LHBF does not share any common Lilun (theory) with LH Tanglang.
    In LH tanglang it is rare to see the Mantis "hook." For instance in the first form Die Yi Tzang Hua, not a single hook. To be honest if you looked at LH Tanglang and did not know what it is, you would never guess it is Mantis at all.
    I am not familiar with what the Bafa (eight methods) are in reference too in LHBF. We do not have those in Mantis. Someone here on this board surely plays LHBF though.

Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

6 harmonies & 8 methods

Originally, Liu Ho Pa Fa was called Water Boxing, symbolizing water's ability to be both still and moving at the same time - like the ocean or a great river. Practitioners learn to combine the softness of water with the power of the wave - limitless, endless, never ceasing and never broken.

Later, the water reference was considered too difficult to be understood, so the name was changed to Liu Ho Pa Fa to express more directly the idea begind the training and make the intention of the style clearer.

See this link for more info on the 6 Harmonies and 8 Methods

http://trinity.psnw.com/~dlmurray/6h8m1.html

The purpose of the animal forms is to train the inside and outside - the mind and the "chi" inside, the coiling power outside. However, the animal forms themselves have real practical fighting purpose and applications.

cvp72
    Thanks. Can you verify my assumption that Liuhe Tanglang has nothing to do with LHBF?
    Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

jake,

i don't know much about preying mantis, but the chineses love 6 harmonies as much as they love 7 stars :P

Good point! Maybe it has 108 moves in it, and we should practice 10000 times more!

Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies
    Good point! Maybe it has 108 moves in it, and we should practice 10000 times more!

Jake
    close....the main form has over 700+ techniques!!! in a simplistic way, it's kinda a way of stringing all the animal forms together.

personally, my favorite is the LiuHungBaSai form (Mother and 8 Sons Linking Palm). short and sweet with alot of oomphs for combat.

here is a sample attachment of a "modified" LHBS form...

LiuHungBaSai page 1
    Last edited by cvp72; 03-19-2005 at 08:30 AM.

I know of one other 'water' type form but its not in the Lie Hue tradition, i don't think.

I think the full name is Waves In Motion Standing In A Star Formation, often abbreviated to Wave Standing form, or just Wave Form. It's a rather legthy creature but i'm not sure exactly how many manuevers or 8-pack sections are in it.

those of you in boston have probably seen him.

Luk Hup Baat Faht

LHBF was created from manuscripts found in a cave at Wah Shan, it doesnt look or follow anything like Tong Long of any branch be it southern or northern.

My Sifu is teaching me Wun Yuen Yut Hei Jurng which is 1000 years older or so then LHBF if im correct. LHBF is purely internal and uses rise and fall movements like water. It links the whole body in unision and is very powerful! My Sifu also is a Master in LHBF for now 50 yrs from Grandmaster Lo chi wan hongkong. He is now retired and myself and my wife are his last desciples to learn both LHBF and Wun Yuen kung. Traditionally you must learn LHBF first and Wun Yuen last due to its intricate moves and motion. He believes the Wun Yuen Kung is far superior although has some similarties in ways. The 12 animals forms are taken out as sections to learn from the actual form so i believe!

www.wunyuen.com

FT

do u think anyone would learn style XYZ if it didn't have some kind of mythical story attached to how the style was found and developed? for example, i am joe schmoe and i have just developed the latest and greatest martial art style....

is a color television better than a black and white television? if it is....could it possibly have came before the black and white television? yeah ok...Wun Yuen Yut Hei Jurng is 1000 year older. sure sure.

you are right about the 12 animals, but does your system have the 12 animals? if no, why not? :P