Thread: War Strategy and Tai Chi

War Strategy and Tai Chi

Hello,

My personal favourite strategist:

1. Yagyu Munenori
    2. Myamoto Musashi
    3. Jiang Ji Ya (Jiang Tai Gong)
    4. Sun Tsu

I find them very useful in fighting and push hands situation. Especially Munenori.

And I found some of the strategies in "Taiji Classics" also applicable in other areas in life.

Are there many of the members on this site studying these books too? Do you find them useful in Tai Chi? Are there any other good recommendations you find useful?

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

I find that studying such things and philosophy and good literature in general raises me as a person, opens up my mind to new potentials and possibilities and helps me look at the world in a way I might have over looked before. In general it makes me a batter person and perhaps open to understand things, including fighting situations, more deeply.

However, I think if one began reading these things in the hopes of making themselves a good fighter they will be disapointed. But if they read them to grow as a person thay may very well be a side benefit.

The concepts in what I think was the 9th section of the Art of War got me thinking. How to read the enemy, and to respond accordingly. In a purely conceptual way, it helped. I find books like that are helpful for whatever your current set of problems may be, martial, business, relational, etc. It's all in the interpretation of the text. Bible, Art of War, See Spot Run.

Ok, maybe not the last one.

Sun Wu and Sun Bin both wrote Bin Shu or military book or sutra. together with some annotations by others are called Sun Zi Bin Fa.

I have notes on just about all chapters or my interpretations and thoughts. I also wrote some annotations.

Tai Chi means the change of Yin and Yang.

So the real and empty or substantial and insubstantial or Xu Si.

This fits the tactics and strategy of Tai Chi Quan perfectly.

So Yin and Yang principles hold from hand to hand combat all the way to warfare.

Where the opponent is strongest, you avoid. Where the opponent is not prepared or guarding, you attack.

Sun Wu was fighting for Wu Guo against Zhu Guo which is a much bigger state with huge army. Zhu Guo Army was split into 3 first. One was marching toward Wu's landing ships area. Wu Guo was from the south and noted for its naval fighting power or Shui Si. Wu was never a good land army before this.

The other group was guarding the east side. So only one third of the Zhu force was confronting the Wu force along the river. Sun Wu was waiting and not moving first. Zhu force was waiting for the Wu to make across the river. However, Zhu was rested and waiting while Wu was marching a long distance. So Sun Wu waited and did nothing.

Have to go to work.

In short, Sun Wu defeated Zhu and entered the capital Yin Cheng with a smaller force. All because of Xu Si or change.