Thread: Translation Pak Mei Article

Translation Pak Mei Article

Hi,

I found this article on Pak Mei breathing, but I can't read it Can anyone please help me with the translation?

Thanks, Regards, Lau
    Last edited by Lau; 03-11-2005 at 12:24 AM.

I see it is too small to read. I just uploaded it to the web, that should be better to read :
    http://home.tiscali.nl/simlalau/pakmeituntu.jpg

Regards, Lau

I'm not a professional translator or Pak Mei practitioner, so apologies for any mistakes. Perhaps you can see the problems with the translated text and substitute correct theroy/terms.

Translation:
    “tun-tu” (swallow-spit) is a method in traditional Chinese martial arts (kung fu). But within Pak Mei circles, some people think that thrusting the hand out is “tu” (spit), retracting the hand is “tun” (swallow); also some people think that arching the back forward is “tu”, expanding the abdomen is “tun”. Therefore, when there are differences on the ideas of “tun-tu”, there are differences in practice.

In “Siu Pai” Bak Mei’s training methods, “tun-tu” is considered medium level kung fu, how is the “tun-tu” understanding and application, the depth or shallowness of the physical expression [can’t follow the thread of the last half of the paragraph].

The idea of “tun” is to receive and conserve, “tu” is the opposite of “tun”, and is the external release. “tun-tu” actually indicates tendon, bone, chi (breath), muscle multi-layered movement. “Siu Pai” Bak Mei fist arts’ “tun-tu” practice is divided into “whole body” and “sectioned” “tun-tu”.

Whole body “tun-tu” indicates the bridge hands (kiu sau), head, chest, back, waist, abdomen, hip, legs and essence, chi, spirit connected motion and linkage.

Sectioned “tun-tu” indicates only using the bridge arms or chest, back, etc. movement. For example, in the forms’ arrow step training method, first bring your palms and five fingers up and forward in a spiral shape, force the elbow joint tendon to separate, the idea is to cause the tendons to be suspended, then contract the arm and elbow joints, then immediately use the waist-abdomen “dan tien” to pull on the elbow tendons, then loosen the arm tendons, and in the same motion release the “ging/jing” into a punch. This action is one of the “tun-tu” training “linked characteristic” hitting methods. This “linked characteristic” motion is called sectioned “tun-tu” (that is: only using bridge arms, chest, waist/abdomen).

Whole body “tun-tu” is divided into multi-layered and single-layered “tun-tu”. Multi-layered “tun-tu” indicates tendon, bone, chi, muscle beginning or end “tun-tu” action. Single layered indicates only chi or …. [image text stops here].
    Last edited by CFT; 03-16-2005 at 06:14 AM.

Smile

Interesting; is there more?

Ha ha, we'll have to wait for Lau to scan and post again.

David, does it make sense? We don't go into this level of detail in training (Wing Chun), it's just look and do. We try to make it work in our own way I guess, with a bit of supervision.

It makes general sense regarding swallowing and spitting so you've got the right words in your trans.

You don't often get the level of detail written down like that - specifiying different scenarios and paths - and so far I haven't tried to copy the method so I don't know if it is clear in a final sense. I ain't trying now cos I'm eating but will try tomorrow perhaps.

I imagine it's quite similar to my spm.

Rgds,
    David

haha, that is how good my chinese is. I thougth the one page was the whole article. But I managed to get a scan of the second part. I hope it is complete now !

CFT, thank you very much for taking the time to translate it. Some of it makes sense, but I printed it and will read it tonight at home. My first thought is that it takes it in a larger scope than i would explain tun tu, which to me relates specifically to the breathing pattern in Pak Mei

Part 2 :
    http://home.tiscali.nl/simlalau/Reci...kmeituntu2.jpg

Regards, Lau

Chee sez:
    David, does it make sense? We don't go into this level of detail in training (Wing Chun), it's just look and do. We try to make it work in our own way I guess, with a bit of supervision.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

((??? Some do go into detail and have more than a bit of supervision. Surprised by your statement,

Appreciated your translation very much. Thanks for helping lau with the interesting passage in another soutern art))

Chee sez:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

((??? Some do go into detail and have more than a bit of supervision. Surprised by your statement,

Appreciated your translation very much. Thanks for helping lau with the interesting passage in another southern art))

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti

Appreciated your translation very much. Thanks for helping lau with the interesting passage in another soutern art))
    I should have qualified that statement I guess. All Wing Chun is not the same; it's just that I have so far not personally experienced a training session where I've been scrutinised and corrected in the minutae. I'm still relatively new to WCK training so there will probably be such events to come.

I hope to translate the 2nd section before long.