Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting weight programme.

do handstands against a wall and hold them for as long as you can,(static ex.)
    do leg raises and v sits. remember its the the quantity of your reps, but the quality of them, when you do ab ex. tense every aware muscle you can in your abs, especially the lower belly are where it turns to your bladder, do stance training, OTHER RELATED ARTS>TAO. simple pushups, sets of ten or 20 up to 100 or 200, forget all the other stuuf, work on strengthening your basics and your foundation(legs).

Quote Originally Posted by spiraler
    when you do ab ex. tense every aware muscle you can in your abs, especially the lower belly are where it turns to your bladder,
    Bro, if you're talking about the rectus abdominus (the six-pack muscle), you've only got one muscle. You can't tense every muscle down there... you've only got one. You can tense it or relax it. That's it.

Unless you were talking about "other" ab muscles, like obliques and stuff, but I don't think you were.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

i was talking about the lowest part of the abs, the part that is usually neglected if you only do regular floor sit ups, of the part that burns when you do situp/legups.
    the obliques are the muscles in the love handle region right? thats a hard one, you need some sort of resistance band for those .
    Last edited by spiraler; 04-03-2005 at 03:30 PM.

You can't selectively isolate parts of a muscle. Different muscles, yes. Different parts of the same muscle, no.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

explain then what the purpose of variation with abdominal exercises?,for instance in pilates you constantly tense the lower abdominals althogh you are using the whole abdominal muscle.

Tell you what Spiraler, why don't you do a search and if you want to continue this conversation for the enth time please do on another thread. Until then, if you have any answers to my questions, please go ahead.

"And what are the benefits of kettlebells over dumbell workouts?"

More versatility. You can grab it by the horn with one or two hands easily (great for pistols and hack squats), and there is a "rack" position where it fits comfortably. This is the key to the repetitive jerk exercise. It is not as comfortable to hold or catch a dumbell or two in the rack. Lastly, the center of gravity is off line from the handle, making it more difficult to get it up there, but easier to stablize once you do.

I would recommend the adjustable kettlebell from these guys :www.uskettlebells.com, but maybe you could import something from Russia, since you aren't that far away. You also should get a copy of "The Russian Kettlebell Challenge" by Pavel T. whether you get k-bells or dumbells.

The cool thing about the Soloflex adjustable dumbells is that you can change the weight with a turn of the handle bar. You just stick it in a special plate rack, turn the handle, and pick it up. The weights you selected automatically stick to the d-bell. I haven't seen one in person but from the TV advert, it seemed like solid contruction. You may want to look into further to make sure you can swing them around over your head and stuff. Hope that helps.

Oh, and check out the dumbell snatch clip I posted ****her down the page, if you haven't already.
    Last edited by fa_jing; 04-04-2005 at 10:21 AM.

PS being able to hold the k-bells in the rack is also good for the front squat.