Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad habits from sparring

"Victor, i love ya man, you crack me up sometimes and you are very passionate about wing chun. You have definately given back to the next generation being so into it and teaching it and passing it down. You trained under william cheung (?) and incorporate some catch wrestling in your wing chun training to cover more ground(?), correct me if I am wrong, memory can be kind of fuzzy sometimes." (G)

YOUR MEMORY IS CORRECT.

"If someone says something you disagree with, you immediately engage into some kind of debate or argument mode and you even provoke them into it. I wish this forum would go back to a golden age of just sharing information and no flame wars would occur, oh wait, that has never happened." (G)

I GOTTA PLEAD GUILTY to that, Gangsterfist...as for the Golden Age...

let me know when it starts, LOL.

BTW...the rest of your post about your sparring philosophy and what's happened to you in the past was very cool - I've had similar experiences and I agree with your overall point of view.

If you have sparring partners you can trust...then the skies-the-limit.

Your whole game takes off to new and better heights.

Good training.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 03-15-2005 at 05:30 PM.

yup

The Golden Age was when Martial Joe racked up 1000 posts in about 3 months!
    Last edited by Spark; 03-16-2005 at 07:52 AM.

Dude! I remember that guy!!!

It's funny, because I recalled talking on here and the board really was more into helping one another and sharing information rather then bickering about personal issues and whose lineage does what, who trains how...etc. Everyone simply did their own thing and shared their knowledge that it might help someone else.

Apparently it's evolved since then. I still have a couple copy pastes of some stuff from here. I'll see if I can find them on my home pc.

Now getting back to the question on the thread:

Now one has really listed the bad habits one can get from sparring...so Im still waiting.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

haha

Yup those were the good old days. I guess our post tally doesn't reflect it, but that is pushing 4-5 years ago now.
    I also remember that douche Neil something or other who Ryu was always threatenting to kill.
    But yeah it was definitely quiter back then, alot less bickering with two sorta "camps".

I'm just wondering - is there anyone on here who spars hard, often, that gets into lots of streetfights? That is someone who could answer this question best!

I think a few of us here train/fight hard consistently. As for streetfights...that's just not smart. I know Im not getting into them often.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen
    As for streetfights...that's just not smart. I know Im not getting into them often.
    Often means what?...How many times a month or year?...

Quote Originally Posted by old jong
    Often means what?...How many times a month or year?...
    I think the last "real" fight that I was involved in was a few years back, prior to my wrist being broken. It was actually to break up a group fight at a movie theatre that migrated ONTO an old couple's car that was trying to leave the parking lot. I didn't step in until I saw the old guy in the car freaking out...