Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a Mc Dojo?

Question Is this a Mc Dojo?

Hello,

I am looking into a school that teaches wing chun and karate kenpo (I'm only going to study kung-fu) and it looks alright but a bit pricey. The website is http://www.haineskenpo.com/index.htm
    Last edited by Disciple; 03-16-2005 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Title

There is zero information on that page re wing chun.

Why are you thinking of doing wing chun there?

Because right when I walk down the street I see a big sign that says: "Kung Fu" .

What I meant was the price. I could see for myself if it's fake (with the help of a few FAQs over the internet). It seems like a lot of money to me.
    Last edited by Disciple; 03-16-2005 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added more

Bruce Lee's Original Style.
    Direct and efficient.
    React by touch alone.
    Subtle, internal art form.

Authentic Instruction in Yip Man's Hong Kong Style

Bruce Lee was the most famous martial artist in recent history. Yet, his original style, "Wing Chun", remains a rare and obscure form of kung-fu. I am proud to offer instruction in this kung-fu treasure to my community.

Wing Chun was created by a nun at the Shaolin Temple in China named Ng Mui. Ng Mui was one of the five Shaolin masters who escaped the burning of the temple and an attack by the Manchu soldiers. Ng Mui, inspired by the combative contest between a crane and a snake, developed a new style of kung-fu. Her first pupil was a beautiful girl named Yim Wing Chun. Yim Wing Chun was being forced to marry the local town "gang" leader. She of course did not love him, but knew if she refused him that she and her family would be threatened.

The nun convinced Yim Wing Chun to have the marriage postponed for one year while she learned kung-fu. Then, if the local "gang" member could defeat her in the match, she would marry him. He agreed to the contest and Ng Mui prepared her pupil.

Ng Mui trained Yim Wing Chun to use the line to defeat the circle; the soft to overcome the hard; timing to defeat power. Yim Wing Chun won her freedom and in honor of her skill, Ng Mui named the style after her first pupil.

We invite you to come and see for yourself the benefits of health, personal safety, and self achievement that kung-fu training offers.
    Well we know he at least heard the story! As far as whether the wing chun is "authentic", that can only be known through first hand experience.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti
    There is zero information on that page re wing chun.

Why are you thinking of doing wing chun there?
    All I saw was this.
    http://www.haineskenpo.com/wingchun.htm
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond
    Isn't that what I just posted Phil?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

There's a link there that says: WING CHUN

And judging from the one and only photo there of the instructor doing some wing chun (which was not impressive)...and coupled with the fact that the description given of wing chun is so general...and given the fact that there's no mention of who he trained with or for how long - I would say...

McDojo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen
    Isn't that what I just posted Phil?
    When I made my post yours wasn't there
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

He apparently has 110 black belts that have gone through his system.

http://www.haineskenpo.com/blackbelts.htm
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

It has that "Junk Fu" smell!...
    Anyway,it is very hard for a karate guy (Kenpo) to forget his hard ways when practicing Wing Chun...Forget about teaching it!...

Quote Originally Posted by old jong
    It has that "Junk Fu" smell!...
    Anyway,it is very hard for a karate guy (Kenpo) to forget his hard ways when practicing Wing Chun...Forget about teaching it!...

OJ-

I have several years of Ryukyu kempo karate under my belt. I was about to take my brown belt tests when I had to move and quit. I take wing chun, and yes there are some habits I had to let go, but honestly they were not that bad. My sifu holds a black belt in okinawan karate as well.

Its not that its hard to learn different systems, its the fact you have to train hard to learn one system, and then once proficient enough, go cross train. Too many people cross train too early or when their wing chun skills are not developed enough. Then that developes lots of bad habbits.

However, I digress, it totally does depend on the individual. I was suggesting look up one of his black belt students and see what they have to offer. A student does reflect on the teacher's ability.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Authentic Instruction in Yip Man's Hong Kong Style

Can he do that? Does this mean he trained with YM, or is he just name dropping?
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Did he offer you fries with your Wing Chun??

Quote Originally Posted by Gangsterfist
    OJ-

I have several years of Ryukyu kempo karate under my belt. I was about to take my brown belt tests when I had to move and quit. I take wing chun, and yes there are some habits I had to let go, but honestly they were not that bad. My sifu holds a black belt in okinawan karate as well.

Its not that its hard to learn different systems, its the fact you have to train hard to learn one system, and then once proficient enough, go cross train. Too many people cross train too early or when their wing chun skills are not developed enough. Then that developes lots of bad habbits.

However, I digress, it totally does depend on the individual. I was suggesting look up one of his black belt students and see what they have to offer. A student does reflect on the teacher's ability.
    I just said that "It is very hard" to do!...Not impossible.But,I bet he was in Kenpo before he learned Wing Chun.What is more difficult?...Wing Chun after karate or karate after Wing Chun?...Chances are that the two styles will end up very similar.

"I'll have a cheeseburger, double order of fries, and some wing chun to go, please?"