Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Legitimate schools in San Fran?

Exclamation

Oh yeah, one more problem... Where am I going to live? It's expensive for college students to live in San Francisco. Well, I got a few years so I'll figure that out...

Thumbs up

Oh yeah, one more thing, check out Zhong Luo's training center, at www.undergroundkungfu.com ; even though it isn't exactly "Shaolin", it's got some Shaolin Techniques (like many systems do.) Bak Mei and Long Ying Boxing, along with Shuai Chiao, plenty of solid training there.

And you're a college student? You going to Berkeley?
    As always, stay strong, and keep an open mind...

Most students at UC berkeley live around the campus in the city of Berkeley. There are many apt. or rooms for reasonable rent to accommidate the students.

While you're at it, check out www.hungfakwoon.com for information on this Wing Chun school in S.F.

David
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

there's nothing wrong with complementing styles such as wing chun and hung gar. just look at the iron thread form of hung gar to see if you can understand why.

As to where you can live...

When you start to head out here, send me a message. Our house is about a 15 minute bike ride from U.C.B. We've got a great backyard for practicing and a cool group of people live here. I would describe the neighboorhood as "pleasently ghetto". North Oakland's actually an awesome place to live.

Hey Disciple,

Don't waste your time with those Southern styles. If you want to become a true bad ass, join EBM kung fu (see NorthernShaolin's suggestion for kungfu.net). They've got one of the top San Shou teams in the country and they teach real traditional Northern Shaolin kung fu as well as Tai Chi and Hsing Yi. You can't go wrong with this school. Brent Hamby and Dan Carr (my teacher right now down here in LA) are very qualified teachers and they'll transform you into a true martial arts bad ass!!
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 07-16-2005 at 10:30 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Blog Entries
    don't get all uppity,

but what's your problem with southern styles? it is a well known fact that southern styles have some of the fiercest fighters.

not starting trouble, just wanted insight into your dislike for southern styles.

but i will let you know Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut is truly one effective system.

oh, and by the way, Doc Fai Wong is not the only choy lee fut school in sf. the original Hung Sing Kwoon is still running under GM Dino Salvatera the head master of the American Hung SIng Clf branch. and then you have tat mau wong, E.Y. Lee, the CHan family guy in chinatown, and the lacey's accross the bay.

forget about doc fai wong, he is not the greatest or the biggest.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 07-16-2005 at 06:07 PM.

I guess maybe I shouldn't have been so general. Now that you mention it Choy Lee Fut is an effective system. Out of all of the Southern styles, it's the one I respect the most (interesting note: there have been some major rivalries between Choy Lee Fut and Wing Chun http://www.buksing.com/5_panthers/5_panthers.html)

I myself have just never been partial to Wing Chun or Hung Gar. Due to my height (6'3"), I'm mainly a kicker so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, I've never felt like Wing Chun or Hung Gar were really well rounded styles when it came to incorporating hand techniques and versatile kicks. Hence, my preference for styles like Northern Shaolin and Muay Thai. Hsing Yi and Ba Gua don't emphasize kicks either but they're great for building internal power and concentration.

Sorry about dumping on WC and HG. They both can be quite effective in the right hands, they're just not my thing. Once again, I suggest EBM Kung Fu. Either there or some other Shaolin school like O-Mei Kung Fu Academy in Oakland (or one of those aforementioned Choy Lee Fut schools).
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

The reason you feel the way you do about WC & HG is because you obviously know very little about them. Well, that and the fact that a WC guy (Bruce Lee) beat your grandmaster (Wong Jack Man) in a fight back in the 60s.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Blog Entries
    where did that come from?

anger management? maybe?

LOL! Nah, Siu Lum Fighter is just always talking smack about how crappy Wing Chun, Hung Gar, etc are (even going to the Jeet Kune Do forum and talking crap about Bruce Lee, Wing Chun, etc) so I just get tired of him always playing his broken record...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Is it true that Wong Jack Man got beaten ...I thought that it was a draw or something. It seems there are stories supporting both camps. Who knows ?

Don't believe what you read about WJM and BL. If you understand the Traditional Chinese Martial Arts Custom, its a no brainer.
    Last edited by NorthernShaolin; 07-19-2005 at 12:23 AM.

Well, if you understand anything about actual fighting, it really IS a no-brainer. Unfortunately there are alot of people around who think that just because their sifu told them something, well it must be true.

Those of us who have spent most of our lives (yes, literally, the greater part of my training since I was 12, I'm now 35) sparring full contact (boxing, kickboxing, san shou), and most of our professional lives working in professions where we had to use our training on a regular basis (cop, prison guard, security) can see that, though Linda Lee's account of the fight may have been exaggerated, Bruce Lee was most likely the winner of that fight, as has been generally acknowledged for decades.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust