Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Legitimate schools in San Fran?

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately bruce lee is not here to back his side of the story up. and from what i understand is that the loser of the fight was supposed to close down and if he really won, then why is wjm still teaching?

Also, from what i've heard is that while wjm was taking off his jacket bruce lee attacked. and if that were the case, anyone would run around to avoid being attacked. i just heard it wasn't a fair fight, that bl was the dirty fighter.

still, wjm is alive so can we please just respect that? of course i am a Choy Lee Fut guy, so what do i know.

I'm totally fine with not dissing WJM, the problem I have is with people like Siu Lum Fighter going around talking crap about martial arts they've never done and people they'll never know. If he were to simply stop spewing garbage, he wouldn't receive any negative responses from me, but I doubt that'll happen.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Oh boy. Not this again. Hey cerebus I thought we left this behind in the JKD Forum. Ya, maybe I still do feel WJM was the superior fighter. How would you know anyway since you've never seen him fight? Come to think of it we've never seen Bruce Lee fight either (greatest martial artist in the world and no trophies, no public full contact matches?). That has nothing to do with my distaste for certain technical aspects of WC and HG.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 07-21-2005 at 01:01 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

I just thought I might add that this whole notion, that was perpetuated by Bruce, that high kicks have no place in real fighting is total bunkage. All someone has to do is watch Remy Bonjasky fight in K-1 to see the proof of that (even though he lost to Mo he's still bad-ass).
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 07-21-2005 at 01:30 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

You really, truly know nothing at all about BL or JKD, do you? Every comment you've ever made about either subject displays your ignorance. BL never perpetuated any such notion that high kicks are for actual fighting (but hey, you're the guy who thinks that BL's movie Kung Fu was exactly what he taught in real life as a fighting art. You're so completely clueless....).

And you're the one who keeps wanting to start things up again by talking trash about things you have ZERO knowledge about...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Kick back homie...

Cerebus, kick back man, you're getting angry for pointless reasons. In case you didn't notice, Siu Lum Fighter already apologized, and stated that, for HIM, Northern Shaolin fits him better.

Sorry about dumping on WC and HG. They both can be quite effective in the right hands, they're just not my thing.
    That's a direct quote from him.

By the way, I agree with Siu Lum that Bruce may have lost that fight (or perhaps a draw); none of us really know, and the ones who were there mostly say it was a draw. The only one that overzealously said it wasn't a draw was Bruce's wife, which is understandable. I think Bruce was a hell of a fighter; but he did brag sometimes and was known to be a bit arrogant.
    As always, stay strong, and keep an open mind...

I made a mistake on my last post. I typed it in haste so I omitted a key word. What I meant to say was:
    I just thought I might add that this whole notion, that was perpetuated by Bruce, that high kicks have no place in real fighting is total bunkage.
    So, in response to cerebus's last post, I would like to reiterate my position on the matter and show that I do know a little something about BL and JKD. Bruce DID NOT believe that high kicks had any place in real fighting. It makes sense that he would feel this way since he was more enthusiastic about boxing and hand techniques when it came to actually fighting. He learned the high kicks for the movies.

Now, that was just his opinion, and since there's much of what Bruce said that I personally don't agree with, I don't trust him on that one. Show me a good boxer in professional fighting and I'll show you a good kicker who's just as adept at winning fights (hence my pointing out Remy Bonjasky, a formidable fighter). I mean, God!! what a bunch of BS!! How can someone watch a Muay Thai fight and believe such nonsense. The person who whole heartedly believes this has never felt a roundhouse to the head or a side or heel kick to their torso or face.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 07-21-2005 at 01:29 PM.

Yep, I guess in the end it just comes down to personal preference. Different things work for different people. Anyway, we're getting a bit off-topic now. Let's make sure we stick to the main topic.
    As always, stay strong, and keep an open mind...

Blog Entries

Wong Jack Mans student get PM me!

ok, one of Wong Jack mans student, "B" you know who you are, this is frank, dino's student, but i just heard from the chosen judge of the WJM and bruce lee fight, he was an official eye witness and he told us the story of what actually happened.

although i'm not going to repeat the story, but "B" Pm me or call my sifu and get my number and i will fill you in.

man, this texas trip is really a trip.

frank

Schools in downtown (or near) SF

I think this whole debate is going a little off the subject line of the thread! Anyway, fortunately I don't know enough to reply either way.

But I do have a question...

Any good schools near downtown SF, where I am?

I've been doing some Tai Chi and am interested in something similar, but geared for fighting as well as health. I was considering 8 step mantis? Something flowing yet effective.

Anyone know of anything I should check out downtown San Francisco?

Thanks!

Steven

odyssic,

Read your PM!

There is a good school (Jing Mo?)about 15 miles south of SF. I believe one of the instructors teaches Tai Chi Praying Mantis, a flowing yet very powerful style.

TaichiMantis,

Yes it is a Jingmo school in San Bruno. This particular Jingmo school has several on site sifus whom individually specializes in different styles (both external: BSL, BSL Lo Han and Tai Chi Praying Mantis and internal: Hsing-i, Tai Chi and Bagua) which makes their total school's curriculum very versatile.

And yes there is another school further down near Cambell. This sifu specializes in both Seven Star Praying Mantis and Tai Chi Praying Mantis. However he also knows Fu Jow Pai and BSL but no longer teaches these styles anymore.

But I thought these two schools might be too far for these guys requesting schools since they are specifically asking for schools in a specific area within S.F. Bay Area. But both of these are excellent schools.
    Last edited by NorthernShaolin; 07-27-2005 at 10:16 AM.

Any good [Northern] Shaolin schools in San Francisco?

Woops, I didn't realize I already asked this. I'm looking for Northern Shaolin schools... I still might be moving there. I checked out Y C Wong and Shaolin Wudang association, they're not what I'm looking for though.
    Last edited by ZhuiQuan; 07-05-2006 at 11:03 AM.