Thread: Original JKD and JKD Concepts

Original JKD and JKD Concepts

Hello Kung Fu Magazine readers,
    Mr name is Jerry Beasley. Since I am no longer active in JKD circles I wanted to take a few minutes and provide some information. I started learning about JKD like many of you from books and magazine articles. In 1982 I trained at a seminar in Charlotte, NC with Larry Hartsell and Dan Inosanto. I was hired by a book editor to write a book on JKD. At the time I was a 5th dan in karate/kickboxing. and I was very impressed with the JKD/Kali system being taught. For the next few years I traveled around the country training at Dan Inosanto seminars. I received certificates for training but I had no interest in an "apprentice" certificate since I was already a 5th dan.
    My book "The Jeet Kune Do Experience" came out in 1988 and was endorsed by Dan Inosanto.
    In 1981 I had begun training with Joe Lewis who was also a student under Bruce Lee. Mr. Lewis gave me a letter certifying me to teach the JKD kickboxing he had learned from Bruce Lee but I never opened a JKD club or taught an art or style and called it JKD. Just wasn't interested. Besides I had earned the 8th dan in Karate/kickboxing(1995) from Mr.Lewis and have taught that approach to combat ( www.aikia.net).
    My interest in JKD was as a writer and Promoter. I was hired by Karate International magazine in 1988 to write the JKD column for that magazine. I introduced Dan Inosanto, Larry Hartsell, Tim Tacket, Paul Vunak, Lamar Davis, Gary Dill, Jerry Poteet, Ted Wong and many more to my readers. I received many, many leters requesting information not on the JKD Concept but on the JKD taught by Bruce Lee as a fighting art. I coined the term "Original JKD" to identify a difference in JKDC and OJKD in 1989.
    Because of the interest in OJKD I promoted the first ever Original JKD camp in 1993. Paula Inosanto was unfortunately so upset that I was promoting OJKD...they must have thought it was an insult because, she wrote a letter calling me a JKD fake. Writers/promoters can't be fakes if they are successful. The camp was very successful with over 100 participants in spite of her attempt to stop people from attending or validating my articles.
    Because of the popularity of the OJKD camp many OJKD instructors received attention and the unfortunate OJKD versus JKDC feud was begun. Sorry about that folks. The OJKD movement became so strong that Mrs. Bruce Lee began to organize the Bruce Lee Foundation ( formerly Nucleus) in the late 1990's.
    Now there appears to forever be a divide in JKD.
    My message is that all JKD is one. Dan Inosanto is the master of the JKD Concept. He is extremely talented. When Bruce Lee died in 1973 Bruce's other students turned to Dan for leadership. Dan has continued to advance, promote and evolve JKD...just as his instructor told him to do.
    Still, there is room for other teachers of the JKD that was taught to them by Bruce Lee. There is absouletly no reason to insult Dan Inosanto for evolving the system. And, it makes absouletly no sense to insult those who prefer to learn about the JKD just as it was taught in the 1960's. In no way can the OJKD instructors and participants compete with the long established, powerful and wealthy JKD Concepts organization. To attack OJKD advocates for their interest is without merit.
    I have had first hand experience as the target of written attacks and gossip for my support of OJKD. I am neither OJKD nor JKDC. I write about and support both sides. I encourage others to stop the debate and be proud of the path they choose to experience Jeet Kune Do. When you say something bad about someone else it is because you fear them. Seek to experience liberation from fear through your study of JKD. If you pursue JKD, in any form you are brothers.
    Jerry Beasley, Ed.D.
    Black Belt Magazine Hall of Fame
    Instructor of the Year 2000

Well put. It is nice to know there are people out there that put effort into promoting an end to needless debates, and arguments. I think that if Bruce Lee were alive today, he would be on the same path as the one you have chosen to undertake. It is not about who is right and who is wrong, it is about what works. Period. If it works it works, if it does not then it does not. The eagle does not flap its wings when it is not needed. Punch when you need to punch kick when you need to kick. I personally find it silly to place labels and boundaries around an idea that was forged through the belief of martial freedom through correct action based on the given moment.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

That's good stuff. Thanks for sharing, and please continue to contribute to the forum, this section in particular!
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Here's another tidbit of info. Bruce Lee moved to LA/CA in December of 1966. By 1967 he had established a JunFan Gung Fu club as a training center. Jeet Kune Do was not formalized until 1968. Bruce closed his school and disbanned the teaching of JKD in 1971. Original JKD identifies not the junfan gung fu but the JKD as taught by Bruce from 1968-1971, about two years.
    Bruce continued to teach his personal training methods and philosophy ( based on the philosopher Krisnamurti) until 1973. The "philosophy" of JKD may be what Dan Inosanto has labeled as the JKD concept. But he has never offered this comment. Instead the term "Jun Fan jeet kune do" has been introduced after Lee's death to include Junfan Fan gung fu and the Original JKD (68-71). The whole thing has been confusing and the source of many heated debates.