Thread: when your grip gives before your main movers

Hybrid View

when your grip gives before your main movers

ran into a bit of a problem today. the past month or two have been my first proper time doing deadlifts (i'm preferring stiff-legged), and as such, every time i add weight, it's a new pr. i did 225x5 today just fine, but the second set, my grip was about to give after two reps, and the same happened when i tried again for more on a third set -- only two reps.

after reading what fajing said about hitting his grip max before his pull max, i started to figure that this problem for me will get worse, not better, unless i do something about it.

the question is, what is a david to do about it? i've been on the same ptp cycle since i started, waved back a couple times after some undesired periods off, and i feel i can pull at least another 30 before this cycle calls it quits. my back is making happpy progress, but my grip, mainly in my off-hand (obviously) is going to give me un-joy unless i do something about it.

suggestions?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

I dunno. Try farmer's walks. I haven't had that problem yet so I don't know.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I had the same problem, then I took 8 months off deadlifting to use k-bells and the thick handles improved my grip significantly.

Personally, I use a hook grip, until I go for PR, then, if things are shaky, I use straps. My last max on deadlift, for instance, I pulled 456 without straps, then pulled a pr for 471 with straps, mainly so I wouldn't have to worry about my grip while maxing. Using this cycle (always lift my last PR without straps, then PR with them) has worked nicely for me.

Heavy farmer's walks and rack pulls may help too.

Andrew

Make a home made clubbell and do a couple workouts with it a week. You really have to grip it to stabilize the club. They're really cheap and easy to make.

Here's the link: http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/klub.html

They also work your shoulder stabilizers and are fun to swing around.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I've always had relatively weak hands so I use straps for some of my heavier lifts. I also did tons of wrist and hand stuff at the end of a workout just to try to keep up.

Well if you weren't hitting failure or discomfort with your hands before, then you are only really just now starting to train them. Have you tried switching hands between sets? That seems to help. Your grip recovers pretty fast, so I'm thinking that it is because you are deadlifting frequently on PTP. I have had many occasions where I had to take 2-3 days off from pulling just to let my grip recover.

I always have more grip problems with long sets than with reps of 3 or less, so you might want to do more singles, doubles etc.

I'm surprised that you are surpassing your grip with a straight-legged pull. One other thing you could do is to do moderate squat work before you deadlift. That would pre-tire your legs and back. I'm seeing that in the future for myself.