Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when your grip gives before your main movers

when your grip gives before your main movers

ran into a bit of a problem today. the past month or two have been my first proper time doing deadlifts (i'm preferring stiff-legged), and as such, every time i add weight, it's a new pr. i did 225x5 today just fine, but the second set, my grip was about to give after two reps, and the same happened when i tried again for more on a third set -- only two reps.

after reading what fajing said about hitting his grip max before his pull max, i started to figure that this problem for me will get worse, not better, unless i do something about it.

the question is, what is a david to do about it? i've been on the same ptp cycle since i started, waved back a couple times after some undesired periods off, and i feel i can pull at least another 30 before this cycle calls it quits. my back is making happpy progress, but my grip, mainly in my off-hand (obviously) is going to give me un-joy unless i do something about it.

suggestions?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

I dunno. Try farmer's walks. I haven't had that problem yet so I don't know.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I had the same problem, then I took 8 months off deadlifting to use k-bells and the thick handles improved my grip significantly.

Personally, I use a hook grip, until I go for PR, then, if things are shaky, I use straps. My last max on deadlift, for instance, I pulled 456 without straps, then pulled a pr for 471 with straps, mainly so I wouldn't have to worry about my grip while maxing. Using this cycle (always lift my last PR without straps, then PR with them) has worked nicely for me.

Heavy farmer's walks and rack pulls may help too.

Andrew

Make a home made clubbell and do a couple workouts with it a week. You really have to grip it to stabilize the club. They're really cheap and easy to make.

Here's the link: http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/klub.html

They also work your shoulder stabilizers and are fun to swing around.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I've always had relatively weak hands so I use straps for some of my heavier lifts. I also did tons of wrist and hand stuff at the end of a workout just to try to keep up.

Well if you weren't hitting failure or discomfort with your hands before, then you are only really just now starting to train them. Have you tried switching hands between sets? That seems to help. Your grip recovers pretty fast, so I'm thinking that it is because you are deadlifting frequently on PTP. I have had many occasions where I had to take 2-3 days off from pulling just to let my grip recover.

I always have more grip problems with long sets than with reps of 3 or less, so you might want to do more singles, doubles etc.

I'm surprised that you are surpassing your grip with a straight-legged pull. One other thing you could do is to do moderate squat work before you deadlift. That would pre-tire your legs and back. I'm seeing that in the future for myself.

I guess you have to specifically work on your grip strength. I would recommend that you brush off the dust from your Captain crushers, wrist roller, and etc. By the way, I would not recommend the home made clubbells. However, if you are cheap or cant afford thr real thing, then make one at your own risk.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter
    I guess you have to specifically work on your grip strength. I would recommend that you brush off the dust from your Captain crushers, wrist roller, and etc. By the way, I would not recommend the home made clubbells. However, if you are cheap or cant afford thr real thing, then make one at your own risk.
    I'm curious. Why no homemade clubbells?

Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand.

Farmer Walks, but also consider Power Shrugs, alternate hands,and swaping grips.
    With Shrugs you can load with larger amounts then that you DL,work all grips then proceed to DL.
    But in general all break downs of O lifts will help Bar grip for obvious reasons.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter
    You know, this is a really quite offensive post.
    Train Smart, Train Hard & Enjoy Every Minute Of It.

Kung Fu & Personal Training: ABActive.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Lung
    You know, this is a really quite offensive post.
    Yeah, I know, I guess I'm cheap, poor and like to take risks.

I'm surprised that you are surpassing your grip with a straight-legged pull. One other thing you could do is to do moderate squat work before you deadlift. That would pre-tire your legs and back. I'm seeing that in the future for myself.
    wouldn't pre-tiring myself out be counterproductive to making larger gains in how much i can actually pull?

as my squatties are pretty craptacular right now, i'm doing 5x5 to work on form, particularly on the bottom end of the lift. so i don't take away from my deads, i do deads first (right after bench), then squatties.

as far as doing a straight-legged pull, my form with that is miles ahead of my form on a standard dead, so i'm sticking to straight-legged to get my p-chain nice and toasty. when i'm feeling strongeri may switch back to standard, but i'm liking the straight-legged stuff more than normal anyway.

as far as clubbells, i don't have the money to spend on the supplies, much less on one of sonnon's videos or clubs. i'm getting married a month from wednesday, and even if i could spend money on fitness stuff, i have other things i'd rather buy first.

Yeah, I know, I guess I'm cheap, poor and like to take risks.
    didn't NWA have a song about you? something like ... strawberry?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Quote Originally Posted by abobo
    Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand.
    I'm gunna put this in my sig. Wise words.

Rubby, I train grip twice a week pretty heavily. I reach failure on double pronated, then switch to alternate grip for the rest of my cycle and haven't reached failure on that (or come close). I've got some straps if I ever do (unlikely unless I start lifting like AndrewS, Ford or fa_jing).
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Quote Originally Posted by rubthebuddha
    i'm getting married a month from wednesday
    Good luck, man. Keep us updated.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo