Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: another quiting smoking thread

I smoked for over 10 years.

One day I was standing there with about 3 or 4 friends and we were all smoking cigs.

It was at that point I felt how much damage my lungs had taken over the years of abuse I had given them. I could fully feel how awful the smoking was for me.

It was at that point I realized the only way to quit smoking is by truly wanting it.

I went and bought one of those patch things, the three step kind.

I started with the second step patch for about a week, then realized the only good I was actually getting out of the **** thing was the super lucid dreams.

Threw the patch out and found out just wanting it was enough to help me quit.

1 month after I quit smoking I tried a cig just to check myself. I found it utterly repulsive and couldnt even handle smoking it, I had to put it out.

Havnt had one since.

edit: that was 5 years ago
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

found this looking for my training log . . .. currently working on year 5. i have had a few cigars though. not as in a few here and there . . . i think ive had 2 or maybe 3 in the last 2 years. none before that as i felt it was too risky.
    where's my beer?

I've gone 3 weeks without smokes or alcohol.
    Was never more than a weekend guy anyway.
    A coworker has been using peer pressure to get me to fall off the wagon, and I know he's gonna rag on me if I fall off any time before april.
    I'll be happy if my new year's resolution sticks to July.
    Still got a ways to go.
    Find myself with a lot more freetime on the weekends.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

stick with it man . . . it gets harder before it gets easier, but it does eventually get easier. i couldnt even imagine smoking now . . . i mean once in a great while ill miss it, but there's no actual urge, and i know id miss being a non smoker a ****load more than i miss being a smoker.

i haven't had any beer since new years either, but thats just a january thing for me. kinda remind myself that there are some things i dont need as much as i think i do . . .. like my own personal passover.
    where's my beer?

Well the fact that I can actually do stuff on the weekends without having to worry about healing up from the previous day's sins is very nice.

The best selling point for not smoking thus far is that it doesn't feel like my body's falling apart after a good workout day. My ability to heal & my resistance to getting sick feels much improved. Kinda makes me feel a few years younger. If I can turn back the clock a bit, then it's worth a few boring weekend evenings.

I do kinda miss going to Flying Saucer for 3 of their 200+ types of beer; but I've got stuff I need to accomplish before I'll allow myself that pleasure.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

stick with it man.

the single best argument for not smoking is that you live better.

smoking is an addiction, like heroin or crack, but is become less and less socially acceptable all the time.

i think within a decade or two it will be completely illegal to smoke in north america.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I don't think it will ever be illegal to smoke. However I think that, sooner or later, the law will state no smoking in public. You could only smoke in the privacy of your own home or a smoking lounge.

I haven't seen the recent statistics but both my parents chain smoked and it appears that almost all adults smoked in the 1940s and 1950s. That started to change a little in the 60s/70s. Here in Boulder I would guess less than 20% smoke. When I was in the south I saw 2X/3X more people smoking than here in Colorado. I think in the future that will go down to less than 5% but the tobacco companies will never go out of business....not then they can make a pack of cigarettes for a nickle and sell them for 5 bucks.

Anyway I just don't see why anyone starts. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of people who smoke today are children of smokers. My observation has been that usually smoking is a family thing.

Smoking has just become illegal in a car with a child present, in Ontario.
    It is now illegal to smoke in ANY public place ( I don't know about those that have designated smoking rooms though).
    Of course this is all part of the master plan to not have Ontario health pay for any smoking related diseases, which cost 10's of millions per year in Ontario alone.
    It has been rumored that Ontario health will stop footing up th ebill for smoking related disases in the next 20 years.
    Or so goes one of the conspiracies.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    The best selling point for not smoking thus far is that it doesn't feel like my body's falling apart after a good workout day. My ability to heal & my resistance to getting sick feels much improved. Kinda makes me feel a few years younger. . .
    the hardest part is when that novelty of not smoking wears off and you're just left without cigerettes. for me it was about 2 months in, and then again around 6 months in. if you can make it through that your golden.
    where's my beer?

I'm glad your resurrected this thread. I've tried to quit numerous times and never been successful. The best I've done is a few months.

I noticed that when I try and quit now, I become a holy terror. When I was younger and quit smoking, it didn't seem to bother me like that. I could chew nails now, when I try and stop.

Has anyone ever tried Chantix? I'm not keen on getting on one drug to give up another, but I know a few people who have used it successfully.

I've kept up with my new years resolutions so far this year, but to stop smoking wasn't one of them. I like the idea or quitting better than I like actually quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    the hardest part is when that novelty of not smoking wears off and you're just left without cigerettes. for me it was about 2 months in, and then again around 6 months in. if you can make it through that your golden.
    Pick up another addiction like slapping old ladies or kicking cats or my personal favorite, swiping credit cards in the butt cracks of sexy strippers.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    ...or my personal favorite, swiping credit cards in the butt cracks of sexy strippers.
    ...and how's that working out for you?
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    ...and how's that working out for you?
    It goes well with my MA training regime, as you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Pick up another addiction like slapping old ladies or kicking cats or my personal favorite, swiping credit cards in the butt cracks of sexy strippers.
    ??????
    Whaddaya do when you hear the modem dial out, connect and ring up the sale?
    (and where does the authorization number come out?)

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    ??????
    Whaddaya do when you hear the modem dial out, connect and ring up the sale?
    (and where does the authorization number come out?)
    Now, a gentleman never tells.