Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working the Heavy Bag

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceofidaho
    I actually do that sometimes for cardio ....... as well as "grappling" with the bag and transitioning from one position to another (bridge & roll, side control to mount, etc.)

20-30 minutes with a 70lb bag on the folding mats in my garage has me breaking a pretty good sweat.
    One time my buddy got drunk and fought a giant wicker chair. Needless the to say the chair took him to the ground and after about 15 mins of rolling around on the ground my buddy was wore out, and the chair had infact won.

True story.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

I did Kali arnis escrima at the same moment I started WT(same instructor), but I found WT better. But I think our instructor now has switched to Kali si-karan?? Don't know for sure.

I liked the knife fighting...but overall I find WT better.
    Last edited by Thaegen; 04-12-2005 at 10:01 AM.

Why isnt hip useage emphasized in WT student programs?
    if it adds power to the punch it should be taught asap instead of waiting years!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMONK
    Why isnt hip useage emphasized in WT student programs?
    if it adds power to the punch it should be taught asap instead of waiting years!!!
    If they teach it right away, how will the instructors keep the students in awe with their comparative power for the first five years.

Kidding!

(sorta)
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

Unfortunately, it seems that if one has a relative "purist" for an instructor, the only cross-training a WT person seems to be able to do without being considered a heretic is Latosa / Newman Escrima. -Fine........I'd definitely recommend taking advantage of that if one has the opportunity. (All of the WT guys with true fighting ability have.)

The footwork, body mechanics, and adaptability of those systems have a lot to offer the WT student, IMO.

PERFORMANCE is much more important than whether or not what you're doing is exactly what a "pure" wing tsun guy like LT (or whoever) would do in that given situation. -To me, what I can make work in fight is what matters, not the choreographed stuff I see many WT "experts" doing in their demos.

No one wants to get their a$$ handed to them on the street, only to have a bystander say; "Well at least he was doing real WT."

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich