Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help I need info on monkey in NY

very well said Nole; I am dedicated.. i do have the time and patience but i need a place to learn it; and if i have to learn styles before monkey then so be it; but would you happent o know where i can learn? or what I can learn from? thanks

Sadly is Vancouver, Canada is where Sifu Chan Sau Chung's school is. Other than that Hong Kong. You would likely have to follow someone for at least 10 years before you learned the monkey sets. I know for a fact they don't teach them openly and that type of dedication is few and far between these days.

Since your in NY you might want to look into other styles more readily available like hung gar, mantis or dragon. I know NYC has quite a few styles available in the Chinatown area you just have to look around.

Good luck.

hey nole, does the videos help at all from their official website? if it does I would want to order them but I have a minor problem; everytime I even do try to order them a freemerchant.com thingy pops up; and none of the emails work to the administrators.. but i think its worth it; i can't get good at something over night

The videos they offer are all Pek Kwar and will not really get you to the monkey forms you seek. Monkey is a difficult style to be able to learn. There are many good styles out there for fighting so if I were you I would find a real sifu and forget video tapes. Video tapes are nice for reference material but you can't learn the subtleties of a style from them. You just copy movements from a 2-D source. There is no substitute for "live" teaching.

Again good luck.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 03-29-2005 at 07:39 PM.

guys is this school legitiment?? http://www.nykungfu.com/school/style.asp it claims it teaches tibetian lama pai; bok mei; and it also has tai shing pek kwar under others sounds a little 2 go0d 2 b true?? o.O

If that sifu is Michael Parella, then I think he trained w/ lkfmdc on this site. You might try and ask him.

that is sifu ross' gung fu brother..

if he is anything like ross, he is legit....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Any tai shing pek kwar practioners on the board? I was wondering, on the website it says that Pek Kwar was the style for the bodyguards of the emperor and it goes on to say how deadly and advanced it is etc. So why does monkey come *after* that? What makes monkey more advanced? Is it just that it's more difficult to practice and perform or are the actual techniques that much more advanced?
    And from what I remember of reading this thread, is the consensus that Pek Kwar is one of a number of northern longfist styles and similar training could be found for example in northern shaolin? I've heard the claim of being the official style of the emperor's bodyguards made about other styles, including hsing-i and Pi Qua. So is it just conjecture or did different emperors employ bodyguards with different training?

ttt

nice question GD...

ChinoXl, living in New York, I do not know why you think shaolin is hard to find, as there are quite a few schools in New York that teach shaolin? Anyway, another option you may want to consider is learning Ape Kung Fu, also known as Tong Bei. If you are a tall person, if may actually be more suitable for you to learn than monkey style. If you are willing to make the drive, I know of two schools in New Jersey that teach it. I do not know anything about the quality of instruction at those schools though, but at least I know that they come from a strong lineage, specifically Sifu Hsu Fun-Yuen"s. If you are interested, let me know, and I will look up their web addresses for you.

I am a TSPK stylist.

In two years, there is going to be a Tai shing Pek Kwar school in NYC.

It doesn't take ten years to be able to learn monkey. Have to become a closedoor student.
    Last edited by Mr. Horse; 04-29-2005 at 03:19 AM.

Hello ChinoXL,

It was politely suggested that you check this guy (Sifu Parella) out. I would if I were you. I would rather start there before going to any other monkey school. I would tell you more but it is not my business to say on a forum. Go there for the art. Enjoy.

mickey

yeah micky my thoughts exactily i'll probably check it out, and by the way horse in 2 years would u happen to know whos going to start the school?

There hasn't been a date set, but it will be in about 2 years. It will be a REAL TSPK school that is authorized by Sigong Chan Sau Chung.

For the billionth time. Pek kwar IS an ape element style. Ape and eagle to be exact. It enjoys much of the monkey footwork.

And the question about "the emperors bodyguards." Which emperor? There were more than one.