Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's going to Berkeley CMAT this year?

April Tourney in Berkeley

Does anyone have any info on the tournement in April. What styles can compete? what the sparring rules are? Anything?

Shaolin36

April 2002 13th, Berkeley, CA - 10th Annual UC Berkeley Chinese Martial Arts Championship, hosted by the UC Martial Arts Program and the Cal Wushu Club.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~calwushu/tournament/
    http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~calwush...nament/faq.htm
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

what about the san shou toury in chicago in april?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Unhappy

thanks for the reply Northern,
    Unfortunately they havent updated it yet!

I will be at this tourney, and the Golden Gate Classic!! WOOO HOOO...gotta love tourneys (yeah right)!!

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

If it is like last year and all the past years, the tournment is open to all CMA which includes also includes CMA internal styles. The usual break down is internal and external and then within this is traditional and Wu Shu. Wu Shu has its own set of standard rules and pattern after China's point system while the traditional is what most of us are use to. Point system with a range of 10, i.e. 8.0 to 9.0. Usually they try to separate southern styles and northern style. Weapons are broken down to short (Sabers, fans, canes, and swords) and long (Staff, Spear and Quan Do). Once in a while chains and other weapons compete. The traditional includes classical and traditional WuShu so it makes it tough on the real classical styles because the sets are not fancy with flips, etc., so the forms are judge on speed, power, fluidness, balance, flavor, etc. In the internal side, different styles of Pa Kua, Tai Chi and Hsing i are found here. Also Tai Chi pushing hand sparring is here too. There is a section call open form where sparring sets and group sets are done. The tournement usually is one day with six rings going on at once.

good tourney!

I'm biased of course, as I've worked on this tournament a lot in the past . Its by no means a perfect tournament, but definitely a lot better then most out there. Its entirely run by student volunteers, which amonst other things means you're not making some already rich school owner richer - the focus isn't on extracating as much money from your wallet as possible. The turn out is usually pretty good, about 300-400 competitors, mostly from the northern california area, but usually a few come from further (canada, east coast, europe and asia even).

The focus is on taolu mostly, the application events are limited to push hands, chisao (I'm /pretty sure/ they're doing it again this year) and weapons sparring.

The other good thing is that this year, for the first time in like 4 years, they're getting Haas Pavilion (formerly Harmon Gym), UC Berkeley's main basketball arena, which is huge, so a lot more floor space and spectator seating (last few years were getting crowded while the gym was being renovated).

-Raffi

cool, thanks for the info, I will be attending and most likely competing in the sparring.

Wushu Chick- can you tell me the date of the Golden Gate Tourney you menioned.

THanks,

Shaolin36

Who's going to Berkeley CMAT this year?

LUcky 13 just after April Fool's: 13th Annual Berkeley Chinese Martial Arts Tournament
    I hope to be there in the afternoon and evening. If you're from the forum and see me, say 'hi"!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'll be there at 7:30AM.

Dam! I work 12 hours on Saturday. Otherwise I'd LOVE to go.... though just to say "Hi" to Gene and tease him about Blooming Lotus.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Can't make it.... will do Jimmy's and maybe USWU in Vegas, if I can make it to a qualifier.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

cerebus

It may go late. You may still be able to drop by. Not that I need to hear any BL smack from you.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

TTT for 2006

14th Annual Chinese Martial Arts Tournament is April 8th, 2006. Anyone here going? I'll be there all day signing autographs, accepting drink offers, scouting for got qi? girls & catering to the needs of my large nachoninjette fanbase. HA! I wish....

Seriously, will any other forum members be there? If so, I hope to see you.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i would have gone and signed up but it was too close and im lazy when it comes to going places. so much easier if i had a secretary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.