Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's going to Berkeley CMAT this year?

Originally Posted by NorthernShaolin
    Already, many of the young Chinese practitioners in China are giving up practicing Wu Shu in favor of studing Karate in preparation of Karate being accepted to the Olympics before Wu Shu.
    That's...the ultimate wushu sell-out maneuver. That's really sad. I can't believe it!

Lokhopkuen
    Thanks for recording that. I know it's a little different than you and Gene's. I actually added a move of Wing Lam's (Gene's branch) though. I saw him do an outside crescent kick in a video in the first half of the form and I thought it would be even more cool if I turned it into a full-on lotus kick.
    Bryant Fong actually gave me a pointer on that form too. He showed me one of the original ways to do the behind the back spear toss. I didn't learn it that way and I went back and forth considering doing it that way in the competition. It was a last minute change and I shouldn't even have considered it. Because I still tried to shoot it out from above the shoulder, which I can usually do pretty well, I sort of botched the whole move. That's what must have caused me to get the bronze. Since I still caught it though and I thought I did an extremely difficult form pretty decently, I thought the judges were a little harsh on me (all 8.5's and an 8.6, what!?). I still may change my view on that after seeing the video though. Oh, I still haven't mentioned how Sifu Arthur Chin helped me with that form. Jeesh, a lot went into that one.

All in all, it was a valuable experience for me. There will be more to come for me (especially the KF Magazine / Tiger Claw event). Once again, I have to thank all the sifus who helped me gear up for this one. Especially Arthur Chin, Steve Ryan, Scott Jensen, Bryant Fong, and Rick Wing.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 04-14-2009 at 10:36 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

I should also mention that my competition was top notch. Michael Shaefer is definitely a true TCMA lifer. He also makes some of the most awesome swords I've ever seen. The broadsword he used in our short weapons event was pretty sweet. He definitely had me beat in that one!

Hey, did anyone see that monkey stylist? His stuff was...interesting to say the least! I stuck around and saw him in a few other events later that night. Some of those events were way cool. I recognized some of the wushu players. My girlfriend was psyched that all the Filipino's kept winning (she's Filipino). One Filipino of note was Tiffany Reyes. She won the gold in every event I saw her in. I remembered her being in that Zero Gravity Stunt Team a while back.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 04-14-2009 at 10:19 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

SLF in action

I was a bit off in my photography at CMAT, mostly because we had someone else doing photos so I only put enough energy into it as a back up. I shot a lot of SLF actually, but I've attached the only one that looks any good that I can see.

Tiffany trains under Ding Wei at U.S. O-Mei (as do many of the top nandu competitors now). That's where I train under Yan Fei, so I see her all the time. In fact, I'm headed there now. She's also one of our top got qi? models.

I have no idea what LHK is talking about. I think all the pervs are down in So. Cal...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I have no idea what LHK is talking about. I think all the pervs are down in So. Cal...
    Nothing to do with pervs, but definitely "ill-advised":

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090416/D97J9SB80.html

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I was a bit off in my photography at CMAT, mostly because we had someone else doing photos so I only put enough energy into it as a back up. I shot a lot of SLF actually, but I've attached the only one that looks any good that I can see.

Tiffany trains under Ding Wei at U.S. O-Mei (as do many of the top nandu competitors now). That's where I train under Yan Fei, so I see her all the time. In fact, I'm headed there now. She's also one of our top got qi? models.

Savage
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Berkeley CMAT 18

I just got this press release from CMAT:
    CMAT Publicity

CMAT is coming back on Saturday, May 1, 2010! CMAT 18 stands for the 18th annual Chinese Martial Arts Tournament. It is the largest Chinese martial arts tournament in the country held at UC Berkeley and hosted by Cal Wushu college students. This entirely student-run tournament has become one of the most successful tournaments in the nation with a cap of 550 competitors each year. Not only does the competition have a wide variety of events, ranging from internal to traditional and contemporary wushu, but it also welcomes competitors of all ages and practitioner levels. With a wushu-centered focus in mind, CMAT has truly become a wushu mecca for those who wish to test their hard work and training, meet others with the same interests, and make lasting friendships.

Past guests have included members of the US national team, coaches from professional teams in China like Hong Kong and Beijing, along with other foreign competitors from countries such as Russia and Singapore, as well as the legendary Wu Bin.

Cal Wushu invites you to join one of the most wonderful experiences you can have in your martial arts pursuits!

Registration closes: April 16

For more information, please visit http://cmat.ucmap.org/
    Also see they're promo vid at http://vimeo.com/9908593

We'll merge this with our Who's going to Berkeley's tournament this year? thread when it's done.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

CMAT 18 on May Day

Roll call time. Who will be at Berkeley this Saturday? Say "hi". I'll be the guy rocking the KFTC gear snapping pix and schmoozing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hello? Is there anybody out there?

NorthernShaolin? Lokhopkuen? Siu Lum Fighter? Anyone?

I know, I know, you're all saving up for our event, TCKFMCII, which will be held on June 12, 2010 at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center in downtown San Jose, California.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene,

Yes, I'll be there and to your event too. You can always count on me.

Thanks NS

Looks like it's just going to be us. Maybe we'll actually get a mutual break so we can chat this year (and maybe we'll win the lottery too!) Look forward to seeing you!

BTW, there will be a special goodie bag for the first 40 people who request it at the Tiger Claw table. Go to the table and ask them if there are any of Gene's special goody bags left.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I will be there, at least in the morning.

That was fun

I didn't take that many pics as we had a photographer on location, but I'll post a few on Facebook & MySpace later. If I get ambitious, I'll pop them up here too.

NS and I did get a chance to chat a little. Shoulda bought that lottery ticket.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene,

Missed the goodie bag. Maybe next time.

Definitely next time

We make sure all of our judges walk away with a goody bag. See you at TCKFMCII.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2011

Who else is in this year?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips