Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's going to Berkeley CMAT this year?

Remember 2005?

Rumors of War: The 13th Annual UC Berkeley Chinese Martial Arts Tournament by me. If you're planning to compete this weekend, better be signed up.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It's a struggle to ttt this...

So no one from this forum is headed to Berkeley? Bummer.

Here's my review of 2004 Wushu Conquers the Golden Gate: The 12th Annual UC Berkeley Chinese Martial Arts Tournament.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'll be there, doing the same.

Well, we'll see ya there then, NS

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I showed up for a few hours in the mid-late afternoon. Had a great time and saw some good performances!!
    The sign over the toilet says:
    "Do NOT eat the big white mints!"

well, we'll put this thread to rest for another year...

Although I must say that one of my favorite moments of the day was when Ming Lum was calling NS a young'en.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt42007

So who's going this year? NS? It's early this year, just like the time change.

15th Annual UC Berkeley Chinese Martial Arts Tournament, Saturday, March 24th, 2007
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wow, 15th...Guess I've be going for the 15th time.

Yes I'll be there again, doing the same.

I'm going. But only to watch.

Maybe next time I'll compete.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

siu lum fighter,

Hey look for me at one of the Traditional Rings. I'll be one of the head judges. Some of your classmates will be judging either with me or at the other traditional ring. A few will be judging at the internal rings. Stop by and say hello to us.

Can I sign up to fight? I have friends in the area and I could stay at their places. I would like to have some light-hearted fights before my Kyokushin tournament.

There's no sparring, Infrazael.

That's the one major downside to Berkeley. There's no sparring except for push hands and two-man forms.

NorthernShaolin, I can't say I've been at all 15, so kudos to you on a perfect record. I have vague memories of competing there and tabling for WLE, but those might be false memories. I know I attended prior to covering the event for Kung Fu Tai Chi - this will be my sixth year of that - I'm just not clear on in what capacity. One of the perks of publishing tournament coverage is at least I know where I've been.

BTW, I'll be scouting for new hobos and got qi girls, as always .
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I remember it well. In the early years, before it went big time, not only did we have to judge, but Sifu Bryant had a more active role in the tournament and made most of the judges demonstrate our TCMA. He was attempting to draw the public to the tournament and of course who is going to see crazy local do their stuff. So he went outside and asked for representative from Wu Shu to come and demonstrate. Since Wu Shu was a new curiosity that everyone wanted to see, the rest is history. The traditionalist judges were pushed aside to two little rings. It wasn't until the last 8 or 9 years that TCMA has returned to almost equal status at this tournament. To the general public, the draw is still the performers who do Wu Shu.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    That's the one major downside to Berkeley. There's no sparring except for push hands and two-man forms.

NorthernShaolin, I can't say I've been at all 15, so kudos to you on a perfect record. I have vague memories of competing there and tabling for WLE, but those might be false memories. I know I attended prior to covering the event for Kung Fu Tai Chi - this will be my sixth year of that - I'm just not clear on in what capacity. One of the perks of publishing tournament coverage is at least I know where I've been.

BTW, I'll be scouting for new hobos and got qi girls, as always .
    No fighting, lame as usual.

Agreed, NS

I've been happy to see the traditional stuff coming back to Berkeley. I hope there's even more this year. It was strange how the bay area got dominated by sport wushu with most of the local tournaments. I think after Lily Lau and Tat Mau Wong stopped promoting events, and with the massive influx of mainlanders over the last few years, that was inevitable. But the traditionalists are still here, as always, and seem to be coming forward again. It's encouraging.

BTW, did you hear about the 4th Eagle Cup Tournament (see 08-11-2007)?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips