Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's going to Berkeley CMAT this year?

FORBIDDEN KINGDOM schwag!

Meet me at Berkeley CMAT at the Tiger Claw booth and get a ton of free FORBIDDEN KINGDOM schwag. See you tomorrow!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'll be there, competing in traditional wushu. It's actually going to be the first time competing for me. It should be fun.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    What? Just Ravenshaw?
    Hey!

Also, I figure NS is a foregone conclusion.

Confirm...Yes I'll be there. From what I understand from last year, for whatever reasons, there not many Traditional judges who want to judge anymore.

So I missed ya, Ravenshaw...

...I'm bummed out about that. Rvs, did you make it out?

I saw NS, dutifully manning his post, as always. All the power to you, big bro, you judges are the backbone of our community.

And I had a nice chat with SLF. We had a good chuckle about the knuckleheads on our forum, didn't we? Chuckles on knuckles...

It was a really long day, but fun as always. After getting there at 7AM to build that monster Forbidden Kingdom standee, I called it a day at around 10:30PM. I hear they went to midnight. It was a lot of fun passing out those Forbidden Kingdom tchotchkes.

Any youtube clips yet? Anyone?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    And I had a nice chat with SLF. We had a good chuckle about the knuckleheads on our forum, didn't we? Chuckles on knuckles...
    I don't like it when people talk behind my back
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    HAHA That we did! I'm kind of bummed I didn't let you know earlier that I was competing in Northern Traditional Hand Forms so I could get your assessment of it. Some of the kids I was up against were really good, but their forms didn't seem too traditional to me. I remember that being slightly controversial amongst some of the judges when they were announcing the winners. I'm hoping my Si Hing, Scott Jenson has a video of the whole thing.

Later, one of the judges I knew told me that he felt I should've taken third place, but I was just one point off (I think it was an 8.6 that killed me). It also didn't help that the guy who came in first was one of those kids from China. One judge I knew was telling me they were sort of their "farm team" of B list athletes that they send out here to show everyone up. And I believe that's what they pretty much did, placing in the top two or three spots in every event.

Oh well, I had a blast though. For me those tournaments are like being in a virtual kung fu/wushu wonderland. I actually made a lot of new friends this time too.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

I might have distracted Scott...

...we had a lengthy discussion about BSL, kung fu and the meaning of it all.

Check this out: A Newbie's Take on Berkeley CMAT by Lauren Laks
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt for 2009

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

one of these days before I am an old gray man, i will go to this berkley tournament. i also dread the thought of being in california.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I'm in. You know I'll be there for the 17th time.

A Day Late And A Dollar Short

Ugh!! I've got a big problem. On the night of Fri., March 20th, I got my competitor ID number. When I went to pay I realized it was $55.00 for only one event. If I wanted to to enter four events, so I could have a chance at winning the Adult Traditional Wushu All-Around Championship, I would have to pay $91.00. When I realized this, I stalled on paying because I needed to make sure everything was squared away with my checking account and I had to leave the house that night. I figured it would be OK since CMAT's website said, "All event changes and additions must be completed by 11:59 PM on March 21, 2009." Saturday morning comes along and I'm unable to pay online. I've emailed the CAL Wushu Club and I've called and left multiple messages and nobody has gotten back to me.

The thing is, I'm sure they didn't fill up all of their events in the traditional category since the whole tournament is really more geared towards nandu and contemporary wushu competition. I'm sure they're busy but they've pretty much left me hanging at this point. I've almost given up. Which is a shame because I was really training up for this one. It's hard for me to believe that they don't want my money! Oh well, there's always the Tiger Claw Kung Fu Magazine Championship. I'll be super bummed if I can't compete in this one though.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 03-24-2009 at 08:22 PM.

I'll be there and maybe a few students as well. I wonder if a Wu Shu practitioner will win first place in traditional again?
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

ttt for next week

All the wushu competitors at O-Mei are getting fired up for this. It's fun to watch them work. One of my classmates in our Shaolin class asked me if I was going to compete. I told him I retired from competition in '95.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So all we got from here is four of us?

NorthernShaolin and Lokhopkuen are always easy to find.

Siu Lum Fighter, did you ever get your application issues resolved? We want our forum members to win...always!

I'm cutting out early to get to Strikeforce. I want to see Terry's bout since he's one of Cung's fighters and he's up early on the undercard.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips