Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Which kung-fu style is usually most dominant

Quote Originally Posted by ChinoXL
    oh i took brazilian ju-jitsu by the serra brothers; and i am retaking it on starting on april; i also am boxing and taking muay thai (good ufc combo) the problem with boxing//kick boxing//muay thai is that its so limited in the area of learning.. i want to learn something that takes time and when i'm good it'll be very deadly >:]~ so i was thinking Tibetan LAMA PAI....? is that go0d?? or bak mei.. or tai shing pek kwar??
    Serra brothers? That would mean you're in my neighborhood .... I work in Uniondale and live in Long Beach. Want to get together to train one day? If you like what you see we cans plit a ride to my masters.

Ray

Do you guys think this school is legitiment http://www.nykungfu.com/school/style.asp he claims to teach tibetian pai mai; bok mei; and under others he also claims to teach tai shing pek kwar.. can anybody tell me is he da real deal or another imposter tryin 2 make money??
    Ha .... those guys just handed me a flyer in the mall for a free class. I'll be stopping by sometime within the next 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie1
    I could be wrong, but I thought the general consensus was:

fighter > training methods > style
    not in my book. A person can be a natural fighter, but if they use mediocre training methods, then someone with superior training methods can be trained to beat them.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

oh i took brazilian ju-jitsu by the serra brothers; and i am retaking it on starting on april; i also am boxing and taking muay thai (good ufc combo) the problem with boxing//kick boxing//muay thai is that its so limited in the area of learning..
    why do you think so?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

oh i took brazilian ju-jitsu by the serra brothers; and i am retaking it on starting on april; i also am boxing and taking muay thai (good ufc combo) the problem with boxing//kick boxing//muay thai is that its so limited in the area of learning.. i want to learn something that takes time and when i'm good it'll be very deadly >:]~ so i was thinking Tibetan LAMA PAI....? is that go0d?? or bak mei.. or tai shing pek kwar??

You got enough on your plate.

[QUOTE=SevenStar]
    oh i took brazilian ju-jitsu by the serra brothers; and i am retaking it on starting on april; i also am boxing and taking muay thai (good ufc combo) the problem with boxing//kick boxing//muay thai is that its so limited in the area of learning..QUOTE]

why do you think so?

ask delibandit 7*

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    not in my book. A person can be a natural fighter, but if they use mediocre training methods, then someone with superior training methods can be trained to beat them.
    I can see that.

That Son Than Vo Dao.

But you would have to move to Philadephia, PA since it's the only studio in North America that teaches Seven Mountains Spirit Fist Kung Fu.

A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    I think it's a matter of degrees, hard to delineate in my book anyway. You can take someone with no talent whatsoever and they could get pummeled by someone with raw natural talent and crappy training.
    I sort of equate it to cars. If you have a 4 banger under the hood, you're going to have a hard time finding all the parts and upgrades ot make you compete well with 8 or 12 cylinder cars that come stock.

Or like William Wallace slaughtering the he!! out of trained soldiers. I think one of the biggest factors when it comes to combat is the human spirit, if your spirit is weak, one with a strong spirit will eat you alive.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    Or like William Wallace slaughtering the he!! out of trained soldiers. I think one of the biggest factors when it comes to combat is the human spirit, if your spirit is weak, one with a strong spirit will eat you alive.
    I see you have crossed paths with my father. Better to cross paths than to cross hands with my father.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

"Hard Work beats talent when talent refuses to work hard."

----Rhadi Ferguson
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by ewallace
    I see you have crossed paths with my father. Better to cross paths than to cross hands with my father.
    you related to WW? if so I know one of your relatives.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

If you're only looking for fighting skills and have access to a good Muay Thai instructor, that might be your best bet. If you're looking to train in a style with more depth and has historical or traditional aspects, with the self defense coming *later*, then you should choose whichever style of Kung Fu interests you.

Let me say this, don't listen to all the stories of famous "masters" who fought countless legions of challengers. Because a lot of the old Kung Fu was not of a very high standard and you can see for yourself here:

The actual combat records of traditional kung-fu "experts" against other disciplines. Notice that in most cases they fought bare-handed using (or rather trying to use) all their techniques.

Quote:
    Dec. 1973 saw the first of "leading exponents" of kung-fu from Hong Kong knocked out in the first round. The defeated fighters claimed to be at a disadvantage by having to wear gloves and being unfamiliar with Thai rules. A revenge match, this time allowing bare hands, was accepted by the Thais, and this match took place January 22, 1974 as part of the Chinese New Year celebration. Five kung-fu experts from Hong Kong arrived bare fisted and were quickly devastated by the Thai boxers, the fights lasting only six minutes and twenty-two seconds (0:06:22) total! All the fighters were knocked out in the first round.
    http://www.lotusselfdefense.com/HistoryLong.html

Quote:
    In 1974 a challenge at Lumpinee Stadium, Bangkok resulted in some of Muay Thais finest moments. Kung-Fu masters were being knocked out before the end of first round. Despite their power and strength, demonstrated by the smashing of bricks with their bare hands, they were unable to compete with the rapid firing combos of Muay Thai. The Thai Fighters were able to find all kinds of openings with the traditional Kung-fu stances. In some of the fights the kung-fu masters were unable to land a single blow. At this 1974 challenge, most of the fights ended in knock outs, demonstrating the affectivness of Muay Thai that so many NHB fighters have come to embrace in their arsenals. The Chinese soon after created Sanshou as a way to teach their fighters a watered down version of Muay Thai, similar to the Japanese demise of Karate, created kick boxing as an answer to Muay Thai.
    http://www.angelfire.com/nj/thaiboxing/vskungfu.html

But the most striking and impressive link is:

http://crane.50megs.com

Read in particular the sections: 'A history of kung fu vs Muay-thai' and 'The first kung fu and Muay-thai contacts'.

Notice that the author is Chinese from Singapore and has a great interest for kung fu, so the source is absolutely not biased.

The bottom line is, if you only want fighting skills then stick with the easiest and most direct path...boxing/muay thai/kickboxing, etc. Or better yet JKD! If you're looking to train in the long run and want MORE than just fighting skill, go with any style of Kung Fu and don't concern yourself with being "deadly". That will only get you killed or land you in prison.
    Last edited by MoiFah; 04-21-2005 at 01:22 PM.