Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new training ideas needed

new training ideas needed

Hey everyone,

I am currently starting to get bored with my current training regime. I usually stretch for about 30 mins and really try to increase my flexibility. Then do various push ups, ab exercises, and other calestinics. I don't really lift weights but have a few weighted exercises a I do.

What are some good cardio, strength building exercises to do that you guys like? I am not looking to build mass, but to tone muscle, stay in shape, and get some cardio.

My off nights (where I don't do physical training) I do forms, dummy, stretches, etc.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Got a solidly constructed dumbell that goes up to 40 pounds or more? Learn the 1-armed dumbell snatch. Alternate sets of 10 r/l with hill runs.

If you have a heavy bag, hit it.

jump rope, shadowboxing, burpees, pistols, snatches, cleans, pullups - do you currently do these?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

of course, i highly recommend a set of stance training.

Wrist-rollers are great. Great fun as well.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

You could always do a sprint workout.

When I do a sprint workout, it's usually:
    20 yard sprints (2)
    40 yard (2)
    60 yard (2)
    80 yard (1)
    60 yard (1)
    40 yard (1)
    20 yard (1)

then two walking laps around the track and a lot of stretching.

Not a threadjack

Just curious, where do you train at Reggie?

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Bag work
    Divebombers
    Handstand pushups
    L-sit, V-sit, Planche sit on parrallette bars
    Sandbag work
    U could try making ur own atlas stones by covering a beach ball with plaster of paris (make it thick). Let it dry. Cut a hole then take the ball plastic out and then fill the mould with concrete. I'm going to do this when this poxy rain stops!
    ________
    GAY ASS
    Last edited by stubbs; 03-18-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ewallace
    Just curious, where do you train at Reggie?
    At Jeff Hughes' 7* school here in Austin. What about you?

EDIT: If you were talking about the sprint workout, I go to the local high school or a junior high close to where I work.

Cool. I seriously considered going there since I have always been intrigued by NPM. I heard good things about that school too. Just too much of a drive for me to make. Maybe if they'd put in that dam.n railway on the I35 cooridor I could.

I am currently training in Sitonmyaz. It's a self created style based on the many years of different arts I have trained in.

Really I am just waiting for Water Dragon to get off his ass and open up the Shuai Chaio/Muy Thai/San Shau school.

Quote Originally Posted by ewallace
    Cool. I seriously considered going there since I have always been intrigued by NPM. I heard good things about that school too. Just too much of a drive for me to make. Maybe if they'd put in that dam.n railway on the I35 cooridor I could.
    Yeah, it would be a bit much of a drive. That SA to Austin drive sucks during rush hour. But I love the school. I've been there for about six months and really enjoy it. If you ever want to come up and check it out, let me know.

I am currently training in Sitonmyaz. It's a self created style based on the many years of different arts I have trained in.
    I used to be very good at that style. Now, besides 7*, I'm training in YesDear. Ever since I got married.

I may take you up on that offer pretty soon. I may have to go to guitar center again soon so maybe I can coordinate that with a day you guys train.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread. Sorry GF.

I usually do pyramid push ups (where you start off with 1, then do 2, then do 3, then do 4, up to 10 or 15 then back down again. Resting only for 5 to 10 seconds between sets).

I do all kinds of ab work outs:

Crunches, side bends, bruce lees, rocky balboas (we have weird nick names for them I guess), all with different leg positions or while kicking.

I have a pull up bar on my door way and do pull ups

I do low stance foot work training. Not necassiry static stances, but dynamic. Low stances with movement to high stances and adding in hand and foot techs in the drill. Its cardio and isolated muscle work out at the same time. My quads still hurt from the work out I did on sunday with stance training.

I also made a wrist curl device. Took a 2 foot long wooden pole, drilled a hole in the center, and strung some rope through it. At the end of the rope are free weights, I do various wrist roll exercises with them.
    Last edited by Gangsterfist; 03-29-2005 at 02:57 PM.

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

You could easily add these:

Handstand pushups against a wall

Your favorite bodyweight squat variation

pistols and airborne lunges.

I actually do hand stands for 60 seconds against the wall. Hand stand push ups are pretty hard and I only get a few off, and one time I fell and busted my head

What are pistols and airborne lunges? I am sure I have done them. My buddy runs a very physical work out in his class. His brother is a recon marine, so his work outs are traditional kung fu work outs with a marine PT flavor. Needless to say I never go from his class with full energy.

-Yip Man