Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: "Modified" Wing chun: Does it work on the street?

Sihing73 Guest
    Hi WT,

I can't say I am surprised as the curriculum changed a few times while I was still with the organization.

I think it is important not to get too hung up on different techniques as there are so many variables in each situation to make the proper response different each time.

In any event, I am glad that we can discuss things like adults and even if we disagree on things can still respect one anothers viewpoints.

Again I wish you well in your training. I left the organization but still have many within it that I consider friends. Of course, some won't be seen with me in public [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Hmm considerig my looks I even have trouble getting my wife to be seen with me. (One reason I did not post a picture is I tried and broke the camera [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]) LOL

Peace,

Dave

Sharky Guest
    that's confidence for ya

Edd

Quote Originally Posted by WT View Post
    What You see in the Hong Kong movies is stage combat performed by actors and stuntmen.
    Not much do do with the real thing.

Use a punch to stop a roundhouse,not a tan sao.

William Cheung's footwork didn't save him
    against Emin Boztepe.
    I'm not from either camp, but, that video doesn't make either look good. But how would footwork save you when someone walks up behind you and hits you? Not meant to start any arguements.

Its been more than 2 decades since William Cheung first mentioned modified wing chun.
    Its been more than 1 decade since this thread started.
    Regarding modified wing chun, black flag wing chun is reported by the VTM as wing chun but then Sifu Sergio presented evidence from Indonesia debunking black flag wing chun. He recorded a video of the same grandmaster the VTM interviewed but now he admits it was all made up in America. We should focus on wing chun from China, not south east Asia where it was easily debunked.
    See vtmshaolinbull5hit.blogspot.com

Modified Wing Chun: Does it work on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeung View Post
    Its been more than 2 decades since William Cheung first mentioned modified wing chun.
    Its been more than 1 decade since this thread started.
    Regarding modified wing chun, black flag wing chun is reported by the VTM as wing chun but then Sifu Sergio presented evidence from Indonesia debunking black flag wing chun. He recorded a video of the same grandmaster the VTM interviewed but now he admits it was all made up in America. We should focus on wing chun from China, not south east Asia where it was easily debunked.
    See vtmshaolinbull5hit.blogspot.com
    Jeung , is ' nt there 2 - types of modified wing chun ? One has to do with Sifu Cheung and Sifu Leung ting ? And the late bruce lee ?
    Now you mentioned black flag wing chun ? I saw the youtube video ,as you said in your thread , Is the black flag wing chun is the system without any history ? Because only now I ' ve heard about black flag wing chun , because I ' ve never heard about it before . So you ' re saying the the black flag wing chun is BS .

Now the China Wing Chun , is that with Ip Man ? If I ' m not mistaken reading from this thread about WC , mostly everybody is learning from instructors who learned from GM Ip Man himself or Sigungs of the late GM Ip Man . Very few people are learning WC system of different lineages .

So Jeung this website everythingwingchun.com does it have information on wing chun from china ? Or is it the Ip Man lineage ? Because I remember we ' ve had this WC controversy from before it ' s probably as old as bruce lee since he passes away .

hi Lance, what I know about modified wing chun is it was first defined by William Chueng. According to William, he learned both Traditional Wing Chun and modified Wing Chun from Ip Man. William said he was the only one taught Traditional Wing Chun. The two versions of Wing Chun Ip Man taught is sourced from China, thats what I'm talking about.
    How is black flag connected to modified wing chun? According to evidence on black flags multiple history and background, black flag is madeup from Kwee King Yang's Kung fu which is a mixture of 5 Ancestors & 18 Lohan hand plus Vikoga Wing Chun plus Hung Fa Yi theory. Vikoga Wing Chun is Victor Leow's creation which is made up of many different branchs of Ip Man's modified wing chun. Chung Che Man is a student of Victor and teacher of black flag wing chun Kenneth Lin Xiang Fuk. Do you see the connection to modified wing chun? According to Vikoga Wing Chun family tree, David Peterson is one of Kenneth Lin Xiang Fuk's Sigung. If you review these two videos below, you will see the evidences that black flag wing chun is made up. I hope Wing Chun sites such as everythingwingchun.com know what back ground black flag comes from. There is aaalot of information in the videos. Lance, you can judge for yourself but I see them constantly changing there names and history to this day.
    HKB (Black Flag) Eng Chun Xiang Fuk Lin's multiple identities, multiple background
    part1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQN1MX5xB8
    part2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLqiALIyNMk
    Last edited by Jeung; 04-07-2012 at 12:04 PM.

There is only one modification in wing chun that I hold as significant beyond all others and that is the issue of shifting (pien sun) or not shifting. The core of VT is the spine, upright centre. All other structure references are measured from there. The VT of oldest world do not seem to engage in shifting. Once VT reached the boats an unique challenge was faced. The opera boats and docks were unique places for battle. Restricted footwork meant a modification in VT structure to accommodate the tight environs. Thus, shifting. Every rule of VT must be 'modified' if VT is to work in 'shifted' mode. Different solutions, different structure, different rule of elbow. Then a second period of extreme environment further influenced the mix. The roof tops of Hong Kong. In Ip Man lineages this issue seems to be close to the centre. With nearly every house at odds with others on the point) IMHO this is what 'modified' VT is. Technologically anyway.
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 04-07-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Modified Wing Chun: Does it work on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeung View Post
    hi Lance, what I know about modified wing chun is it was first defined by William Chueng. According to William, he learned both Traditional Wing Chun and modified Wing Chun from Ip Man. William said he was the only one taught Traditional Wing Chun. The two versions of Wing Chun Ip Man taught is sourced from China, thats what I'm talking about.
    How is black flag connected to modified wing chun? According to evidence on black flags multiple history and background, black flag is madeup from Kwee King Yang's Kung fu which is a mixture of 5 Ancestors & 18 Lohan hand plus Vikoga Wing Chun plus Hung Fa Yi theory. Vikoga Wing Chun is Victor Leow's creation which is made up of many different branchs of Ip Man's modified wing chun. Chung Che Man is a student of Victor and teacher of black flag wing chun Kenneth Lin Xiang Fuk. Do you see the connection to modified wing chun? According to Vikoga Wing Chun family tree, David Peterson is one of Kenneth Lin Xiang Fuk's Sigung. If you review these two videos below, you will see the evidences that black flag wing chun is made up. I hope Wing Chun sites such as everythingwingchun.com know what back ground black flag comes from. There is aaalot of information in the videos. Lance, you can judge for yourself but I see them constantly changing there names and history to this day.
    HKB (Black Flag) Eng Chun Xiang Fuk Lin's multiple identities, multiple background
    part1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQQN1MX5xB8
    part2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLqiALIyNMk
    Jeung Hello , Thanks alot for this very interesting information about modified WC , you ' re right about Sifu Cheung learning 2 - versions of WC the modified and the traditional version . Is that the reason why Cheungs' chum kiu form is different from the other WC sifus' form . Example Wong Shun Leung ' s chum kiu has the twisting of the waist . GM Cheung ' s chum kiu does ' nt have the twisting of the body . Could that be the modified WC chum kiu set ? I thought that he modified it to make it his way . But now that your thread mentioned it , it ' s probably the modified WC chum kiu .

And the 5 - ancestors fist style , speaking of this style , I just happened to get a DVD instructional version on this style . It looks like karate , and the 18 lohans according to that Sifu Sergio is really WC , but the ? is , is it modified or traditional WC ? Jeung just how many different branches are there in modified WC ?
    And Sifu David Peterson was he still teaching kenneth lin while teaching under the late Sifu Wong Shun Leung ? Jeung , you also mentioned the china WC is that the traditional one that GM Ip Man taught to GM Cheung , Sifu Wong Shun Leung ,
    Lok Yiu , Leung Sheung , Ho Kam Ming and the list of names goes on and on . Or is that the modified one .

Jeung PM me .

There is only one 'modified' VT That which was born of 'special needs' which were the docks and boats of the opera. Shifting stance, deep turning ( hip and waist. Still aligned) all 'modified' to adapt to the new environs

Every style of WC is "modified" and when people finally understand that then maybe, just maybe, the silliness of WC politics and "lineage wars" will die the death they so deserve.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Every style of WC is "modified" and when people finally understand that then maybe, just maybe, the silliness of WC politics and "lineage wars" will die the death they so deserve.
    :

Will you Canadians stop being sensible please!

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Jeung Hello , Thanks alot for this very interesting information about modified WC , you ' re right about Sifu Cheung learning 2 - versions of WC the modified and the traditional version . Is that the reason why Cheungs' chum kiu form is different from the other WC sifus' form . Example Wong Shun Leung ' s chum kiu has the twisting of the waist . GM Cheung ' s chum kiu does ' nt have the twisting of the body . Could that be the modified WC chum kiu set ? I thought that he modified it to make it his way . But now that your thread mentioned it , it ' s probably the modified WC chum kiu .

And the 5 - ancestors fist style , speaking of this style , I just happened to get a DVD instructional version on this style . It looks like karate , and the 18 lohans according to that Sifu Sergio is really WC , but the ? is , is it modified or traditional WC ? Jeung just how many different branches are there in modified WC ?
    And Sifu David Peterson was he still teaching kenneth lin while teaching under the late Sifu Wong Shun Leung ? Jeung , you also mentioned the china WC is that the traditional one that GM Ip Man taught to GM Cheung , Sifu Wong Shun Leung ,
    Lok Yiu , Leung Sheung , Ho Kam Ming and the list of names goes on and on . Or is that the modified one .

Jeung PM me .
    Hey Lance, sorry for the delay. thanks for the information.

Last word from Sifu Sergio.. he made a video where he says 18 Lohan
    Hand is not Wing Chun. check out the first 3 minutes here.. the part where he is
    talking in the beginning.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk3WPHKAMyg&list=UURex0fFs_Ln2o769H3mFfZg

Back to traditional and modified wing chun as William Cheung defined it. Actually
    in the Traditional Wing Chun family tree, it was Dr. Leung Jan who divided Wing
    Chun into modified Wing Chun and Traditional Wing Chun or TWC. There is a lot
    of Wing Chun that traces back to Dr Leung Jan today, including people on this
    forum. I think you will find answers to your questions that arose from William's
    definition of traditional and modified Wing Chun from the TWC family tree.
    http://wingchunkwoon.com/tree.asp

Now look at Vikoga Wing Chun family tree, Victor Leow created it as its outlined.
    He captured different modified Wing Chun from most of all Ip Man's students.
    Kenneth Lin did not learn from David Peterson, he learned from Anthony Chung
    Che Man in Indonesia. This is Lin's lineage to David Peterson.
    David Peterson > Victor Leow > Anthony Chung Che Man > Kenneth Lin. So really
    black flag wing chun is 6th generation Ip Man Wing Chun.

Since William Cheung has something to contribute to wing chun community, why worry so much about the term modified or traditional? Maybe it's more important to give some appriciation to someone who dares to share, to promote, to preserve the art of wing chun.

And Sifu David Peterson was he still teaching kenneth lin while teaching under the late Sifu Wong Shun Leung ?
    There's a report of Kenneth Lin's inside story here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGe1Ypn3n8I

It can't be easy admitting ones involvement in deception. But I admire someone who has the courage to stand up and inform the public of the truth.

The only problem I've ever had with the term 'modified' is that sifu William Cheung always tries to say this family of VT is 'inferior' to traditional VT. In fact, he basically says it was created to be 'inferior' and 'easier' than the other. I don't see that at all. Modifications are adaptations to change. If seen in this light the old and the new really work together and operate side by side. Male female.
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 04-15-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    The only problem I ever had with the term 'modified' was that sifu William Cheung always tries to say this family of VT is 'inferior' to traditional VT. In fact, he basically says it was created to be 'inferior' and 'easier' than the other. I don't see that at all. Modifications are adaptations to changes. If seen in this light the old and the new really work together and operate side by side. Male female.
    IMO this is a major malady of WCK that i don't see in other arts. "I have TH3 R3@L WCK".

When I hear things like that I can always hear Eminem in the background - "Will the real Slim Shady please stand up, please stand up, please stand up"