Thread: question about wing chun school in Tampa

question about wing chun school in Tampa

Im interested in taking up wing chun and I found an instructor Grandmaster Swift in Tampa Florida http://www.swiftwingchun.org/steveswift.html

any of you guys know if hes a good instructor??? hows his reputation??

thanks

Mike

I've only seen a few of his videos, but it seems like he knows wing chun pretty good. I think his training is from Ip Man's sons, Ip Chun and Ip Ching. On the videos he enjoys making his own fighting sound effects which I found funny, and in no way takes away from his skill. I would check him out as he seems like a good bet and a nice guy.

Worth looking up IMHO

Hello,

I met Sifu Swift a few years ago when Yip Chun did a seminar in NYC. I think it was around 1992(?). Anyhow, he seemed to be quite good and if memory serves correctly was affiliated with terrence Yip and Yip Chun. Also present at this seminar was Sifu Samual Kwok from England. All in all very enjoyable and enlightening.

I certainly can think of worse people to visit or work out with, me included

Peace,

Dave

Thanks Crimson

Silver, Steve is very fast and flashy. He has been teaching wing chun for 20 years or so. He probably knows more chi sao attacks than anyone else I know. I am not flashy and not very fast unless I have to be. Steve and I do not teach or practice the same wing chun although the forms will look similiar.

I teach on a semi -private basis out of my home in Tarpon Springs. 2 of my students have opened schools further south one is in Largo. That student ,Ray Peters, is very combat focused. He also teaches catch wrestling and may add a boxing class as well. The other teaches in North Clearwater and is also the senior student of Alan Goldberg so he teaches a blend of Jason Laus wing chun and what he has learned from me so far.

If you want more information pm me . If not I am sure you will do well with Steve.
    Last edited by hunt1; 03-31-2005 at 01:42 PM.

HOLY SH!T! The dude charges $1,000 to test for a Black and Gold sash!

I don't care how good he is. $1,000 to test is outrageous!

http://www.swiftwingchun.org/academy/levels.html

Find a different school.

EDIT: He also has a section on his site about "Business Opportunities". I'm seeing red flags all over the place.
    Last edited by Chief Fox; 03-31-2005 at 03:36 PM.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    HOLY SH!T! The dude charges $1,000 to test for a Black and Gold sash!

I don't care how good he is. $1,000 to test is outrageous!

http://www.swiftwingchun.org/academy/levels.html

Find a different school.

EDIT: He also has a section on his site about "Business Opportunities". I'm seeing red flags all over the place.
    Although they do pose red flags, I think it's best to go train and see if they're all about the money or if they're running a commercial business.

I know that Tang Sifu charges a bit for his Gold Sash test, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're bad teachers...just that they have a shifted focus of making money.

No matter how much money you pay someone - or how commercial they are, they should be taking the time to make sure all your shapes are correct, etc. Good instruction is priceless. (...to a degree! of course.)

Peace,
    Kenton
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels