Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Brethren...What have you done to "modify" your own personal Wing Chun?

I. P. Chi Guest
    To make a Wing Chun punch more effective, put a .357 snubby in your hand.

Sam Guest
    Learn the Kung Fu as completely as you can and the hands will be there for you. Good, effective Kung Fu is adaptable to most any modern "street" encounter. Centuries old systems of Chinese Boxing Have encoutered Mongolian and Russian wrestling, Western boxing, Japanese judo,jiujitsu, and karate. Of course there is always room for improvement but it should be done from within. Observe other systems and counter from your own style which you should be masterful in. You don't have to wait twenty years for an answer just be smart and work hard at what you know.

flavour54 Guest
    Sorry guys, I don't even know them yet and when I do I don't think I'll be posting it on the internet.

jojitsu27 Guest
    WT,
    Let me clear that up alittle. I didn't really mean actuall boxing strikes, I meant boxing principles....I was just in a hurry and should've been more specific.
    There are alot of little things boxing teaches that Wing Chun ignores because of it's strict and unwavering principles.
    One such thing that I think all Wing Chun fighters would benefit from boxing is the bob and weave type defensive maneuvers.
    This is something that added to your arsenal of wing chun parries will only decrease the likeliness of you getting hit in a fight.
    Also boxing bobs and weaves put you in postitions for some really nice boxing strikes that seem uneffective to a wing chun fighter...things like the uppercut or hook punch. Both of these work quite nicely off of a bob and weave and with the wing chun pak sau added even work better.
    I wish we all had live sattelite feed so I could show you actual moves online and ****...oh well maybe someday when things are more high tech this will be commonplace.
    -jojitsu27

Sam Guest
    Jojitsu27, Who said that Wing Chun Fut Sao in my case doesn't have movements that resemble bobbing and weaving. The difference is the back alinement, hollowing chest, circular,up&down and side to side movements. Most angular, circular, straight line punches, open hand, fingers, palm, knuckles,and claws are taught. Search deeper my friend and it is there.

Sam Guest
    By the way the movements are done differently than boxings bob&weave because unlike boxing sport rules we worry about kicks, knees, and grappling therefore our movements have to be much more guarded and precise.

benny Guest
    i think there is ground fighting in wc its just that the techniques that work standing up, because we use defection and not brute force, work even better on the ground with the opponent on top, and no offence to any students but i dont think wc should be proved good or bad on the merit( if any) of william cheung and emin boztepe. just my views
    see ya
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR

jojitsu27 Guest
    Sam,
    What is your family style of Wing Chun? Because if it has bobbing/weaving in it like you claim I would like to see it?
    I have been studying Wing Chun for 10 years and have never seen a style of Wing Chun yet that teaches evasion of strikes by upper body movement.

Benny,
    You have made the fatal Wing Chun mistake.
    You said, "techniques that work standing up, because we use defection and not brute force, work even better on the ground with the opponent on top".
    You actually couldn't be any more wrong in this assumption.
    Wing Chun techniques work very, very badly on the ground, because of the body positioning of you and your opponent.
    Lets take for instance the situation where you have slipped on ice, or grease and your opponent is in the classical groundfighting position of the "mount", he is sitting astride your chest at a 90 degree angle to your horizontal body. He is striking down to your face. Because of this positioning he has range on your face, but your fists cannot reach his face. If you are really, really good a chi sau, you could theoretically chi sau for defense until he is tired of punching at your face, and I hope you realize how stupid that thought is.
    You can strike at his upperbody, but you have only your chon choi, with no footwork or hip or shoulder power to back it up.
    And being as Wing Chun has no postitioning reversals, techniques that teach how to get out from under the mount, you are basically screwed.
    It takes specialized technique to get out of that special situation which is actually quite common in streetfighting situations and groundfighting.
    And those are the things that Wing Chun is lacking. I could go on and on over hundreds of situations and positions that Wing Chun does not have the answer to.

It boils down to this....you Wing Chun brethren can keep your cups "full" with Wing Chun or you can continue in the martial arts with room in your proverbial "cup" to learn something from an outside source. You can remain stagnant and unchanging in your thinking and believe the Sifu who tells you Wing Chun has everything you need (of course crosstraining in a grappling style would effect his pocketbook!), or you can learn from the already proven battleground of Nhb where many long time Wing Chun fighters have been reduced to nothing by a grappler in a matter of minutes and often seconds. The choice is yours so I'm not going to harp on this any longer.
    Truse me, someone who has studied Wing Chun a long time and has found no legitimate Wing Chun groundfighting. Crosstrain and save yourself the potentially life threatening situation of being beaten on the ground.
    And remember I say all this not as an antagonist, but as a Wing Chun brother who really would like to see Wing Chun grow and incorporate more groundfighting techniques into the system.
    -jojitsu27

DragonzRage Guest
    benny,

I agree that you can't judge a style completely merely based on the performance of two individuals. After all, it is the practitioner and not the style. But I think that you can definitely evaluate certain aspects of a style by watching two of the style's best in actual combat. If you watch Roy Jones in action, you will definitely learn something about boxing. If you watch a Gracie fight, you will definitely learn certain things about Bjj. Now if you take Emin Boztepe (one of the reknowned Sifu Leung Ting's top students and top fighter of the Wing Tsun Organization) and take William Cheung (orginal disciple of Yip Man and considered by many to be one of, if not the, best Wing Chun man alive) and put them up against each other, you should definitely be able to evaluate certain aspects of wing chun. These aren't just casual practitioners or poor McDojo sifus, they are top authorities and experts in the art of Wing Chun. You can definitely judge from their performance the well roundedness and effectiveness of some wing chun strategies. Looking at how poorly they did, can anyone really say that wing chun techniques are very well rounded? If the top Wing Chun authorities in the world can't do jacksh!t on the ground then I'd say its pretty safe to assume that wing chun style is ill suited to deal with that kind of situation.

~Max

Sandman2[Wing Chun] Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jojitsu27:
    Sam,
    And being as Wing Chun has no postitioning reversals, techniques that teach how to get out from under the mount, you are basically screwed.
    It takes specialized technique to get out of that special situation which is actually quite common in streetfighting situations and groundfighting.
    And those are the things that Wing Chun is lacking. I could go on and on over hundreds of situations and positions that Wing Chun does not have the answer to.
    -jojitsu27
    [/quote]

Man, you just gotta come down to our kwoon..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Sandman[Wing Chun]

jojitsu27 Guest
    Sandman,
    I will...I willl!
    I replied to your last e-mail, I am really excited about what you are telling me about your system of Wing Chun!
    If your sifu has any videotapes I will GLADLY purchase them!
    I need to know where exactly your school is and all that stuff, also could you give me your sifu's e-mail address again?
    Folks...if this is all true, then Sandman's Wing Chun he is learning has actually has real Wing Chun groundfighting techniques in it that are actually an originaly part of his style of Wing Chun, not borrowed from another groundfighting system. If this is so, it is awesome and is going to revolutionize modern Wing Chun!
    Maybe we can actually start to compete effectively in NHB competition!
    Keep in touch Sandman, I am excited about finding out more about your system and your school!
    -jojitsu27

Buhma Guest
    Sandman, I am also very interested in this. I am planning to take BJJ to supplement my Wc, but if what you say is true.. then I'd like to find out more about it and try to keep it within one style.

Hey Jojitsu, if you visit them, I'd like an honest critique of their methods on the ground.

Sandman2[Wing Chun] Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jojitsu27:
    Sandman,
    If this is so, it is awesome and is going to revolutionize modern Wing Chun!
    -jojitsu27
    [/quote]

Hehe, ya know, to be honest with you, I doubt it's that "revolutionary", I mean, I'm sure there's got to be others out there doing this sort of thing. Perhaps I'm just the only guy talking about it...besides, I'm personally skeptical of any claims at a "revolutionary new way" of doing things. That's why I do realistic traditional arts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks!
    Sandman[Wing Chun]

Sam Guest
    Jojitsu, My lineage is Fut Sao Gu Yee Chuan Wing Chun Kuen from Leung Chi Man to James Cama. Our web site is www.buddhapalm.com As far as counters to the mount position or most any other hold we have many counter measures.

Sam Guest
    Jojutsu27, Try www.buddhapalm.com
    Sam