Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids and Kung Fu/MA

Kids and Kung Fu/MA

A remark in SPJ's thread influenced this one.

I am curious as to what others think about children in martial arts. To be more specific, what arts are more suitable for younger children.

For instance, many kung fu schools do not take children under a certain age.

TKD, if a good program for kids, can be fun and get them interested in MA. As well as a chance for us single dads to meet some hot soccer moms.(football moms to our overseas friends).
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I don't see a problem with kids in MA - I have recently began teaching my 6 year old muay thai. The church also wants me to do something there, but I don't really have the time. I think some arts may have principles that are too complex for a kid to grasp, like say - "internal" styles - overall, I dunno if a child would derive much benefit from that.

A buddy of mine recently got a gig teaching capoeira in a local school here.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Personally, I don't think kids should train until 11 or 12.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    Personally, I don't think kids should train until 11 or 12.
    That's about right. My instructor has a 4-6 year old class and a 7-12 year old class. In the 7-12 year old class most of them aren't really dedicated until the 10-12 year old range. There are a few younger than that, but they are mature for their age. The 4-6 year old class gets them introduced and they have fun, but I've yet to see a child that young extremely devoted. You can't expect them to be, although I'm sure there has been some here and there.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

wdl hit a good point. At least for my child, I want her to start with something that is fun since she is 4 now. I will probably have her in judo in a couple of years, and maybe boxing if I can find a good childrens' program. It's kinda tough though, because as much as I want her to have fun, she is already getting into situations at freakin daycare that I would like to resolve but my methods are generally fround upon by society in regards to adults and 4 and 5 year olds. At least she has good rock throwing skills, which we recently found out.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I think its another case of individual circumstances. Some children are ready to learn at an earlier age than others.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by ewallace
    At least she has good rock throwing skills, which we recently found out.
    Kids are adorable like that.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

hey 7*, do you know if your buddy is affiliated with a particular group for his capoeira?

That's a tough thing about being a parent. You have to sit them down and tell them that what they did was wrong, but inside your thinking "you should have picked up a bigger rock...but excellent work".

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    I think its another case of individual circumstances. Some children are ready to learn at an earlier age than others.

bingo. my son WANTS to train every day. he gets upset if I don't make it home in time to train with him. Last week, I called the house after class to check on everyone, and my wife told me that he was in the mirror shadowboxing on his own. He loves it. Without a doubt, not all kids are like that, so training young ones can be a problem.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think there is a difference between showing a kid something to defend themselves, like a punch or throw, and putting them on a consistent training regiment.

Quote Originally Posted by red5angel
    hey 7*, do you know if your buddy is affiliated with a particular group for his capoeira?

yeah, it's nacao. I'll ask him his maestre's name. I posted a link to one of their sites a while back, but since we had the forum move, you won't find it. I think it was www.capoeirartist.com

EDIT - that's the right url, but they it's undergoing a redesign or something, I guess. there is nothing there now, except an under construction splash page.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    yeah, it's nacao. I'll ask him his maestre's name. I posted a link to one of their sites a while back, but since we had the forum move, you won't find it. I think it was www.capoeirartist.com

EDIT - that's the right url, but they it's undergoing a redesign or something, I guess. there is nothing there now, except an under construction splash page.

Thanks! I've heard the name just not real familiar with it. I bookmarked the page and I'll have to check it out once it's up!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    I think there is a difference between showing a kid something to defend themselves, like a punch or throw, and putting them on a consistent training regiment.

we are consistent. we train jthree days per week, at least. I don't want to overwhelm him, so we only work basics - jab, cross, hook, uppercut, defense and footwork. we start with calesthenics, move to footwork drills, then shadowboxing, defense and I let him hit the pads. We then stretch and call it a night.

Now, I don't believe in ranking kids that age. there is nothing I hate more than seeing 9 year old black belts. But, I am all for them training at that age.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    Yep. Personally, I think it's great for young children to get involved in more sport-fun oriented programs. Maybe because I can relate. When I first played football (american football) in the "pee-wee" league, it was fun. Then it turned into wanting to win during middle school, and in high-school it was about wanting to be the best I could. But it all started out as fun, and no one forced me to do it.