13 59.09%
  • Just stay a single art

4 18.18%
  • Or considera mma, muay thai,etc

4 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bak mei or Baji Chuan as a second ART

since i do both i think i can give you a good answer.

pak mei is harder to learn, hard to find worthy sifu and is the most different from your karate and 5 ancestors, so go with baji it is a long range to close range combat style, it has some techniques which may appear similiar to want you have already studied but is also very deep and practicle if you know what to look for, its easier to learn but this doesnt mean its anyless a great style also you already stated that your lineage will be from sifu hsu who has a great reputation.
    Also the baji is slightly more external so it will be a easier transition than bak mei.

both bak mei and baji are extrmely good close range styles but baji is actually an infighting(xtrme close range) style while the piqua gives you the long range options.
    Both styles use the 1,2,3 ko theory baji especially is 1 shot loaded(thou xtrmely good at it) baji is harder to recover from a failed technique than pak mei.

Do the baji but either style is an excellent choice.

Also there is alot of support for baji/piqua out there in sifu's, books etc but pak mei is very difficult to find anything.
    There is no technique that speed cannot defeat......

I have to agree with Brad. Although stylistic differences and methods do matter the ability of the teacher to physically interpret/apply the art in reality and then teach it well is so much more important IMO. There are so many good systems that have people that either cant apply them or cant teach well that the ability of the teacher becomes the first concern for me when choosing something.
    Personally I would go down there and experience both classes first. If what your looking for is a self defence or combat art and not just 10 years of forms practice then you have to go down there and experience it first. I wouldnt assume that the general principles that each style tend to promote is exactly what you will get your going to learn a teaching from a person first and a style second.

FWIW

if you want teh fighting skills
    do 1 striking styel and 1 grappling style
    period
    Resistance is futile, teh Clerus is done. He awaits for the end aknowledging its presence everyday. When it comes he hopes to feel like being in the womb again.
    I am not here at the forum therefore, got nothing more to say and cannot save anyone (me included).
    I know i can resist for a good while, uknown is the value of while. Impermanence might be the only truth to life.
    Bye, peeps

I would say, pick the master, not the art. The style debate is a smokescreen.

If it is too far, or too expensive, or has a good reputation but you don't like the training, then you may have trouble sticking with it.

I'm a big believer in depth not breadth when it comes to training.

And, if you want a lifetime pursuit, think about what the art will offer you in 10 years, when you're 45, or 50.

Good luck.

Baji need not be a second art, Baji kills people (well Baji masters do anyway)
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree
    Baji need not be a second art, Baji kills people (well Baji masters do anyway)
    Wow! You mean like for real, dead, and all that stuff??

Are there any other arts that enable people to kill people??

Lol

If most kung fu Masters can kill someone easy then why not go into the UFC and PRIDE and fight real fighters?

After seeing the WU TAIJI AND PAK HOK grandmasters fight made me sick in the guts and i laughed so hard that i almost sh!t myself. Most kung fu students and teachers do not teach fighting but just a form and tradition and i feel sorry for us kung fu guys because we all get laughed at in tourneys when fighting MMA GUYS.

Forms are not going to help u or is sticky hands, u gotta spar and train like a fighter to kill someone. LOL

FT

If you have a good teacher, or a good lineage, they will teach you the fighting skills of the style, sometimes inside of a form, sometimes not. And by good lineage i mean a lineage that really fights, not fights in the ring, but actually fights real fights with no rules like don't poke the eyes, stike the throat and no referee to stop it.
    Bless you

I do agree many lineages and teachers teach forms and tradition over fighting, but that does not mean the other does not exist.
    Bless you