Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chi development methods in wing chun?

Raatra Guest

chi development methods in wing chun?

can anyone give me some information on any aspects of chi development found in wing chun?

curious Guest
    I believe that Willaim Cheung Wrote a book on this topic. I think it is called " How to develop Chi" or "How to develop Chi Power." I think it is available through Ohara Publications. I think I also saw it in a Barnes and Noble store once. I hope this helps.

PerfectTechnique Guest
    First of all if you think you can learn that black magic crap from a book, you need a reality check. Second of all, it doesnt even exist. It's not real, never was, and never will be. The only chi that any of you have is a bullet launched from the barrel of a gun.

I just wanted everyone to know the absolute truth about this matter.

------------------
    the only thing better than me is god, and that's a close call.

[This message has been edited by PerfectTechnique (edited 07-26-2000).]

curious Guest
    I have read that chi is a natural energy in all of us, which would rule out it being black magic.

PerfectTechnique Guest
    IT'S NOT A NATURAL ENERGY . . ITS THE DEVIL!!! Well, ok it's not the devil, but merely a chineese joke to fool gulible americans.

------------------

Sihing73 Guest
    Perfect Technique,

You seem to be of the opinion that Chi does not exist or only exists in the guise of some evil plot. I must admit to not being in agreement. If Chi were from the "Devil" I owuld be very surprised. And, I would feel that God had let one very usefull and beneficial object in the wrong hands.

As to the original question: Chi developement in Wing Chun takes many different forms. Obtaining the proper stance and structure and holding this in a relaxed manner while breathing.

Still I think the poster may have been referring to the first section of the first form. This is done in a manner of specific breath patterns while extending the hands in Taun, Fook and Wu Sau. By incorporating the breathing with the practice of the movements, and the mental intent that goes along with them one can indeed develope his "Chi". Whether this is simply a matter of increased concentration and perfecting the technique through slow precise practice I will leave to you to decide. The practice is done in few schools of YM lineage until one is advanced. Still, I have seen/heard the specific exercise referred to as "Hay Gong" by some of Augustine Fong lineage.

Hope this is some help.

Peace,

Dave

BTW: Chi translates in at least manner as Breath or Air so if it is truly from the Devil I think we are all in trouble [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Fubokuen Guest
    PerfecTechnique may just be a well meaning "devil's advocate", or perhaps just shallow, but at any rate, what he's saying is BS.

Wing Chun uses a chi development technique similar to other southern styles utilizing the 3 joints of the arm. In Bak Fu Pai it is called the Somquan, or 3 Borders. There are acupoints in the arm that can be stimulated and opened to help the flow of energy, and exercises to develop the explosive Ging necessary to perform the WC techniques correctly. The 1st form is also called "Praying 3 Times to Buddha" for this reason. It is said that Yip Man could take up to an hr. to perform this 1st form.

benny Guest
    as far as i have read bodidahma(spelling?)believed what enstein believed that there is energy between atoms, which is real. what is not real is that you can project it into someone else. i have read that book from wil cheung and it is crap.he just likes to make money off people with no idea, what wc really is which is just hard work.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR

Water Dragon Guest
    Heeeyyyy, I know that quote.

WT Guest
    Dave.
    They are now teaching WT chi gung for health
    at the castle and special seminars.
    I think Sifu Liebscher-Bracht is in charge of it.
    WT
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sihing73:
    Perfect Technique,

You seem to be of the opinion that Chi does not exist or only exists in the guise of some evil plot. I must admit to not being in agreement. If Chi were from the "Devil" I owuld be very surprised. And, I would feel that God had let one very usefull and beneficial object in the wrong hands.

As to the original question: Chi developement in Wing Chun takes many different forms. Obtaining the proper stance and structure and holding this in a relaxed manner while breathing.

Still I think the poster may have been referring to the first section of the first form. This is done in a manner of specific breath patterns while extending the hands in Taun, Fook and Wu Sau. By incorporating the breathing with the practice of the movements, and the mental intent that goes along with them one can indeed develope his "Chi". Whether this is simply a matter of increased concentration and perfecting the technique through slow precise practice I will leave to you to decide. The practice is done in few schools of YM lineage until one is advanced. Still, I have seen/heard the specific exercise referred to as "Hay Gong" by some of Augustine Fong lineage.

Hope this is some help.

Peace,

Dave

BTW: Chi translates in at least manner as Breath or Air so if it is truly from the Devil I think we are all in trouble [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    [/quote]

[This message has been edited by WT (edited 07-27-2000).]

jim lin Guest
    I'm not a WC/WT guy by any means, but I have a couple of friends who are. I've asked the same question, the answer I've received is pretty consistent:

A lot of the qigong in WC/WT is done in the Sil Nim Tao form. When I look at the form, this makes perfect sense to me - a slow, relaxed, focused practice of the form with proper breathing would be an excellent qigong developoer.

-J.

PerfectTechnique Guest
    It certainly tickles me to know that while the rest of you are wasting your time playing with your imaginary chi, the enormous gap between your skill levels and mine grow even more rappidly in my favor. You see, when you look out to the technique horizon you will notice a little dot fading out of site. That is me. If you at least want to be able to witness my greatness, even as a little dot on the horizon, you must stop playing games and start training for real.

PerfectTechnique Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PerfectTechnique:
    It certainly tickles me to know that while the rest of you are wasting your time playing with your imaginary chi, the enormous gap between your skill levels and mine grow even more rappidly in my favor. You see, when you look out to the technique horizon you will notice a little dot fading out of site. That is me. If you at least want to be able to witness my greatness, even as a little dot on the horizon, you must stop playing games and start training for real.[/quote]

------------------

Sihing73 Guest
    Perfect Technique,

I live just outside of Philly in a small town called Colwyn. Why don't you let me know when you will be in town and I would be willing to witness firsthand your perfect technique. You are one of those windbags that shows up from time to time. I had decided not to bother with you but your ego is way up there. I am sure if you decide to meet me I will get to see your perfect technqiue firsthand. At least I am sure you will hit the ground with perfect form. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I know you won't bother to show up and I will laugh at your immature efforts to make excuses. BTW, what style do you practice? EgoFu perhaps [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] LOL

Laughing at you and all those like you.

Peace,

Dave

mantis108 Guest
    Hi all,

I am reposting this from the Souhtern Forum.

Although I am not a Wing Chun practitioner, I have some friends who practice the style. The "Sarm Bye Fut" (opennig segment) in the Sui Lim Tau form is said to be Chi development oriented that is why it is more beneficial to perform them slowly. Also, the final segment of the "Bil Ji" form the deep bowing is IMHO a Chi Kung exercise also; however, no "official" acknowledgement from the Wing Chun community is noted. I am not surprised by the old saying "Bil Ji But Chu Mun" that Bil Ji contains certain "secrets" and is not supposed to be performed in public. May be one of the secrets is its Chi Kung aspect?

Sihing73,

Well put. I will advice against "Kong Sau" with Perfect Techniques though. I'm afraid he will use his traditional American Gun-do Chi Kung, which we all know is the only Chi you will every every experience and when you do, you are dead. The only person you are going to testify it's exsistance and powess is St. Peter at heaven's gate. I for one will miss your wisdom and company on this forum.

Peace to all

Mantis108

------------------
    Contraria Sunt Complementa