Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Dummy

qy Guest

Wooden Dummy

Anyone have specs or know where to get specs for a dummy that does not need to be attached to a wall mount?

Sihing73 Guest
    Right off the top of my head I can offer the following:
    WWW.Cougarmountain.com
    They offer a free-standing version.

I&I Sports also offers a free standing stand
    you can call them at 310-715-6800

Or you can try the great Lion Company in Atlanta Georgia, sorry don't know the URL offhand.

There is also a new product I have seen advertised in magazines. This is some type of recycled Dummy made out of recycled materials. Supposed to be pretty good. Sorry don't know anything about it. But, it does show several versions which are free standing. You can probably find an add in a current MA magazine.

If you have access to any of Randy Williams books he gives some specs for the Wooden Dummy and a free standing stand.

Wish I could offer more but I am pressed for time at the moment. Feel free to email me if I can be of further assistance.

dmcknight@home.com

Peace,

Dave

benny Guest
    not wall mounted what style do you do. if its wc than i wouldnt buy the randy williams one if its the one that hangs between a door frame. i cant see how you could do proper wc eg the push in the dummy with a free standing dummy if its like a puching bag.
    confused

hokyun Guest
    qy,there are some blueprints on how to build a wooden dummy at www.spheral.comalmaindex2u.html look under text hope it helps

J Guest
    qy,

Look at www.azwingchun.com. It shows a movable frame. Basically, it's a frame to the plywood on the floor.

J

qy Guest
    thanks all!!!
    The reason I am asking is because I am a lowly "renter" and can do nothing to my walls that a little white paint wont cover up. I have some friends that are woodworkers that saw "Fist of Legend" and want to see if they can build a wooden man. So I jumped on that one.

I do understand the mounted type is better for many reasons.

Thanks again all!!!... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by qy (edited 07-28-2000).]

benny Guest
    i seen one in a mag that was a corner dummy. it was a normal dummy but it didnt need to be bolted to the wall as it was like a corner unit but i asked my teacher and he said that for the step away and kick(hard to explain unless youve seen it) would be hard as you need room to step to the side.
    but its worth a look
    see ya
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR

I know of two options: freestanding or corner unit. There are a couple of companies that have a weighted-base free-standing dummy, but they are $600+US.

When I was renting, I got the corner unit stand from Great Lion (http://www.woodendummy.net). It fits neatly in any corner and lets you go full force without damaging walls. I highly recommend it. If making your own, you can get the ideas of the corner design from Great Lion's website.

Taijimantis Guest
    Some of the Senior Students in my Kwoon have a NPM dummy that was designed by our sifu and one of our students. It is a Wooden dummy, the type being a modified NPM style that was seated in a metal cup(for lack of a better word)about 10 inches deep. At the bottom of this cup are welded four coil springs attatched to a metal plate which is in turn bolted into a large piece of wood that sits on your floor and can be attatched by bolting or nailing directly into the floor. (This can probably be done with minimal carpet damage)

The coil springs are from heavy automobiles and will hold the dummy erect, and at the same time give enough when you strike to get the proper feel. Our wall mounted dummmy is held in place with leaf springs for give.

Any ??? let me know...

Namaste.

qy Guest
    thanks again for all the help, still working on which design to go with. Thanks for the help!

Braden Guest
    You didn't specify wing chun, so maybe this might be interesting:
    http://www.taijiworld.com/Articles/Bagwazhang.html

Tien Long Guest
    Is the wooden dummy used primaryily in Wing Chun or is it used also in other kung fu stlyes?

"Watch the skies, the DRAGON flies!"

Taijimantis Guest
    Northern Mantis and I have heard Choy Li Fut use a dummy.

I have Mantis dummy specs, but they are written in Chinese... If you can get them translated....

Chum Kil Guest

Wooden Dummy

Does your Wooden Dummy move from side to side (on it's stand or rack)or is it just stationary? Should it have some play into it. I've seen both and I'm curious. Please explain your theory if any.

John

Have little and gain;
    Have much and be confused.

Starbuck Guest
    The ones at our kwoon can slide left and right along the two horizontal 2" supports, and there is some 'bounciness' forward and back. This is supposed to represent the 'give' that a real human body would have to your strikes. Though Yip Man's original dummy in Fotshan was planted in the ground and was therefore pretty solid. He only used the modern frame because he didn't have any room for an outdoor dummy in Hong Kong and needed a way to mount one in his apartment. I think the 'give' in the modern dummies is more a side-effect of the way they must be mounted indoors rather than a deliberate attempt to recreate a human body's reactions. That being said, I don't really think it matters either which way. Dummies don't cry out in pain or go "SNAP!" when you stomp on their knees but I don't think that will ruin your technique when your attacker does. :D

<HR>"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform." - Mark Twain