Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    I am surprised your Jong does not have arms like that. I guess this would spawn why the younger generation does things differently or perceives them differently
    I think you misunderstood Robert! I DO have one of the three arms like this (that is how it was supplied) the other two are square to the base of the arm.

My Sifu is of the older generation too and his arms, as I've said, are all square to the base. Can I ask, do you fit your palm 'into' the triangle created by the top two arms? Do you punch 'flush' into this triangle too? I personally wouldn't have thought so because an even set of arms doesn't allow the 'snug fit'.

I may have to put up a pic to demonstrate... but a regular pic. No hotpants!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Sifu Phil's video explains it all. Nothing more is needed.

Hard to believe he is a Vietnam vet. He only looks like he is in his 40s!
    Old Marines never die, they just keep rowing...

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41292

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I think you misunderstood Robert! I DO have one of the three arms like this (that is how it was supplied) the other two are square to the base of the arm.

My Sifu is of the older generation too and his arms, as I've said, are all square to the base. Can I ask, do you fit your palm 'into' the triangle created by the top two arms? Do you punch 'flush' into this triangle too? I personally wouldn't have thought so because an even set of arms doesn't allow the 'snug fit'.

I may have to put up a pic to demonstrate... but a regular pic. No hotpants!

In my custom made YKS Jong I can put my palm into the triangle created by the top two arms, and can punch flush in it, too. As for the Yip Man Jong, the space between the arms is too tight for that.

Perhaps I misunderstand. Maybe you need to post a pic, however Spencer, the thought of you in hotpants is not a pleasant one.

In my custom made YKS Jong I can put my palm into the triangle created by the top two arms, and can punch flush in it, too. As for the Yip Man Jong, the space between the arms is too tight for that.

Perhaps I misunderstand. Maybe you need to post a pic, however Spencer, the thought of you in hotpants is not a pleasant one.
    The space between the arms and also the angle is very important. This triangle is for a very specific reason when training the Dummy. If the arms are not level and at the correct height ,in relation to who is using it, then it becomes just another method of banging arms into for no apparent reason other than practicing applications. The dummy is for far more than that.........or at least it is within my system.

GH

Again, a misunderstading!! I was talking of using a sexy young female model...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    The space between the arms and also the angle is very important. This triangle is for a very specific reason when training the Dummy.
    Please share your thoughts and reasoning...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

www.shaolinhouse.com

I got my dummy from them, and just by rotating the dummy arm by 180 degrees, you can choose to have offset or level arms.

To be quite honest, the only reason why they should be parallel, is for the left bong-sau. If the arms are offset, then when doing the left bong-sau you twist your arm and the bong-sau isn't in the proper form. If the arms are parellel, then your bong-sau's are in proper formation.

I know that some pictures show Yip Man himself using offset arms, however, later in his life he noticed the difference in the bong-sau and this was his idea to have them parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by wingtsun85 View Post
    www.shaolinhouse.com

I got my dummy from them, and just by rotating the dummy arm by 180 degrees, you can choose to have offset or level arms.

To be quite honest, the only reason why they should be parallel, is for the left bong-sau. If the arms are offset, then when doing the left bong-sau you twist your arm and the bong-sau isn't in the proper form. If the arms are parellel, then your bong-sau's are in proper formation.

I know that some pictures show Yip Man himself using offset arms, however, later in his life he noticed the difference in the bong-sau and this was his idea to have them parallel.
    In the Wing Chun forms regardless of lineage, the arm positions are the same on both sides to cover certain gates. It should be the same on the Jong. It's just common sense. But then again many people don't use common sense.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

We have both, I guess 90% people in the world will choose levelled arms not offset.
    Traditional WC, should keep level arms.

Wing Chun Wooden Dummy

There are many styles of wing chun dummies in the world.
    Which kind the best for you?

Quote Originally Posted by topwoodendummy View Post
    there are many styles of wing chun dummies in the world.
    Which kind the best for you?
    --------------------------------------------------------

spamming?

Quote Originally Posted by vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------

spamming?
    i don't need sell any dummies here. None of business with you.

Quote Originally Posted by topwoodendummy View Post
    i don't need sell any dummies here. None of business with you.
    Hey, that's Sifu Duncan Leung's logo on you site. I know that because I know who drew it. Duncan does have some great WC knives for sale. Is he involved with your dummies?
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 04-11-2011 at 06:42 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Cherish our forest

We use China Oak to make wooden dummies and dragon poles. China Oak is a kind of Chinese hardwood also called za'mu, easy to find in China. We never use local expensive timbers or any imported rare timbers. I hope more and more companies could stop using expensive timbers to protect forests from damaging. Also someone said jointed wood is not better than solid wood, I don't think so, at least the chance rate of crack from jointed wood is smaller than from solid wood. Furthermore, We use jointed wood to make dummies avoid wasting raw materials, anyway, hope more people recognize that we live one same earth, we should cherish nature. Do your best! Stop buying teak wooden dummies and some rare materials.

Wooden dummy INfo

Quote Originally Posted by straightblast46 View Post
    Hello im after a Wooden Dummy. I know there are two types. The Dummy with Parallel arms, and arms that are off set. I remember David Peterson (WSL Lineage) saying the arms should always be parallel. However I find it very difficult to find a dummy on the net anywhere with exact parallel arms. I have heard Koo Sang and Buick Yip Dummies are the best but even they have slightly offset arms? There is other dummies with offset arms but more offset than the ones made by Koo Sang or Buick Yip. If anyone can explain to me what the difference is and where to get a good one from. I would really appreciate it. Im also after a Dummy that can be mounted but removable.

Any knowledge and recommendations will help.

Thanks for your time

Regards
    Straightblast46 Hello , Okay everybody who replied to your topic thread wooden dummies , all had the same thing in common with you . Have you ever connect with Koo Sang and Buick Yip about it ? There must be a good reason why they are so different like you said ? it ' s just that you need to find out why ?

Wing Chun Dummies , the best thing you could do is connect with Sifu Peterson and find out why the dummy arms should be parrallel like you mentioned . and explain to him your problem , you can ' t find out what you really need from the 2 companies you mentiond then , maybe Sifu Petersons' WC dummy is custom made . and probably he ' ll send you information of the company that made his wooden dummy .

Take Care ,
    Lance