Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    ALL versions of WC do their forms to cover the same points/gates in space on both sides. You don't do a right tan lower or higher than the left one. It's that simple. Also, if you're doing YMWCK then the arms are level. That's according to the plans YM had.
    You are not doing a right tan lower than left tan. You do a right tan sao on the low arm and the high arm and you do a left tan sao on the low arm and the high arm (assuming you have a dummy with arms of different height). Chu Shong Tin does YMWCK and the arms are decidedly not level. Just look on youtube and verify it.

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    You are not doing a right tan lower than left tan. You do a right tan sao on the low arm and the high arm and you do a left tan sao on the low arm and the high arm (assuming you have a dummy with arms of different height). Chu Shong Tin does YMWCK and the arms are decidedly not level. Just look on youtube and verify it.
    I think you missed my point. If you do SLT/SNT, CK, and Biu Jee you cover the same gates on both right and left sides. But since you want me to look on youtube. I'd like you to look here:
    http://classic-web.archive.org/web/2...oodendummy.htm
    Yim Man gave the very first plans for a dummy to be made in HK to Cheung King Kong and Cheung Cheuk Hing to give to Koo Sang. Cheung King Kong was Wm. (Cheung Cheuk Hing's brother. I knew about this since the 70's before I even knew who Wm. Cheung was. Chu Shong Tin's Sifu (Yip Man), had dummy plans with level arms. So if you want to practice your forms at different levels on both sides then go for it.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 04-23-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Also, if you're doing YMWCK then the arms are level. That's according to the plans YM had.
    Hmm So according to you, Lee Shing was not Ip Mans student then Phil?? And everyone else who trains with the non-level arms are not linked to Ip Man either?

I think you need to take into account that the wooden man you have plans for was designed specifically for your Sifu and his students, just as my Sigungs was too.

Everyone had varied ideas to everything, and the wooden man is no different. But to even suggest that the level arms is the true heritage of Ip Mans teaching is ludicrous imho.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That said and in regards to the wooden dummy, if the dummy is used to test and correct one structure then how is doing the dummy in a "less than forceful" way doing that.
    And who actually trains their wooden man in a less than forceful way? Beginners, and people who do not know what the wooden man is for dude!

The 108 is very specific, and needs hands on instruction to 'fill in the gaps' presented by the cine8 footage and photographs of Ip Man. The form he presented was specifically for therapeutic purposes, showing positioning but hiding how to get there. Very clever stuff imho and very misunderstood by the legions of people who claim to have completed the form!

I will try to film a short clip of just the first set to highlight what I mean...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I think you missed my point. If you do SLT/SNT, CK, and Biu Jee you cover the same gates on both right and left sides. .
    I think you missed my point. My point is that Wing Chun can be done with level arms or non level arms. It does not matter. The position of the arms does not make one better or worse, it's a point of preference, not technique.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Hmm So according to you, Lee Shing was not Ip Mans student then Phil?? And everyone else who trains with the non-level arms are not linked to Ip Man either?

I think you need to take into account that the wooden man you have plans for was designed specifically for your Sifu and his students, just as my Sigungs was too.

Everyone had varied ideas to everything, and the wooden man is no different. But to even suggest that the level arms is the true heritage of Ip Mans teaching is ludicrous imho.
    You have to be kidding me. Where did I ever say that Lee Shing wasn't one of Yip Man's students?
    I may have even known that fact longer than you have depending on your age.
    That dummy was the one used in Yip Man's school for everyone.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I think you missed my point. My point is that Wing Chun can be done with level arms or non level arms. It does not matter. The position of the arms does not make one better or worse, it's a point of preference, not technique.
    If that works for you then it's all good.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Yip Man Dummy

This is Yip Man's dummy at the Museum in Fatshan.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I see level arms ....

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    I see level arms ....
    Where ?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Maybe Yip Man had more than one

Maybe Yip Man had more than one
    He probably did use many, but the one in Fatshan was his.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

My point is that it clearly can be seen Yip Man practicing on a dummy with uneven arms.

i thought they were leung tings arms. Same as the picture of leung Jan that was of some bus driver. The museum isnt that authentic from what I was told. Considering the money was blown a couple of times by certain people its not suprising.
    But I have both types of arms and it just makes the center small