Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Dummy

wingchunwsl Guest

wooden dummies...

i and i sports has good wooden dummies. www.iisports.com they're laminated and everything... and they're endorsed by randy williams :rolleyes:

wingchunwsl Guest

building a wooden dummy

how long would it take building a dummy anyway? about how much would it cost? thanks. ;)

IronFist Guest
    wingchunwsl,

about this much:

8in inside diameter PVC pipe: $35 (approx)

arms and leg: probably around $130-160 depending on wood choice, etc, from www.wooddummy.com

Lumber: I dunno, depends on your frame.

Don't forget to factor in all the time you will spend working on it to build it, probably an hour or so fileing each hole to the correct size, then building the frame. Measure twice, cut once. Cut smaller holes, and file them to the proper size. Otherwise, you may cut the holes too big.

If you can afford it, you might want to consider buying a PVC one with wooden limbs from Great Lion or Asheville Woodcrafters, but remember that stands are extra.

Iron

Lightbulb Wooden Dummy's

Hello everyone,

For people looking for a wooden dummy,

A couple years ago I wanted a wooden dummy for my training. As anyone who has looked for a dummy knows, the selection is limited, the prices are high, and most of them will take over your entire house. I started looking at portable dummy's and I found PVC and plastic things that didn't look like they would last. I am an engineer by trade so I designed and built myself a free standing, portable wooden dummy. It fits in a corner, is made of actual wood, has a beautiful finish, and has been taking abuse for a couple years now. Everyone who saw it said, "You should be selling those". So a sometime later, after refining the original design and talking to people with more knowledge about WC than me, we are now offering a free standing, wooden dummy (actually made from wood) for a reasonable price. To check it out go to:

www.urbandummy.com

We were just at Dragon Fest so 'hello' to any of you guys I talked to there!

Why did you make the front of it flat?

j/w

Iron
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Re quo quan's dummy. IMO it wont do much for a person learning wing chun moves.!

We received a great deal of feedback from many, many martial artists at Dragonfest (including one well known WC teacher). While there were a lot of questions and suggestions ("you could've done it this way or that way") everyone seemed to really like the design of the dummy. The main criticism was that the body should be more round, in response to this we are now looking at going to the rounded front dummy. As it says on the website, the dummy's are custom made to the users height. So in response to IronFist we will shortly be offering the dummy with a round front. As to yuenfan's opinion, everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion but the hundreds of WIng Chun people who tried the dummy didn't seem to agree with you. Let me emphasize, we are trying to offer a product that until now hasn't been available. An affordable, free standing wooden dummy that can be used by someone that lives in an apartment or who has limited room for training equipment. We have already sold quite a few dummies and everyone has been a satisfied customer.

quo quan- enough of the sales pitch. You have made your announcement.Good luck with your dummy.
    You are not by any means the first to offer a free standing dummy or a height adjusted one. I am glad that you recognize the need for a round dummy body. There is more...

Urban Dummy

Gou Quan,

Excellent craftmanship with your dummy. It is truly a work of art. But my only problem, other than it not being round, is the base that you are using to support the dummy. I know it is difficult to judge by a picture. The base is not recessed enough for side entry, it is just too far out, preventing a person from stepping in.

As a Wing Chun practitioner, the dummy form has numerous entry techniques, requiring us to move into the dummy at an angle on both sides. I have my own portable, free-standing dummy, from Immortal. It is not made of wood like yours, but made of high density, compressed polymer. It feels and weighs as much as dummy made of oak. I keep it in my basement, which gets pretty damp. A wooden dummy would not be good, since it will crack with the changes in humidity. The base is small, and with the body of the dummy placed foward, for easy side entry. Check it out at:
    www.immortal-usa.com

i'm sorry but i have to agree with yuanfen.
    there are only 2 reasons why these people would like it if they say they are from wing chun.
    1. they odviously really don't know wing chun
    2. they are just being polite
    there are reasons for the dummies shape, diametre, hieght, even down to the width of the frame if you want to be fastidious. if these need explaining then refer to piont 1. or wait til' your up to that part or the training.
    i am not saying that there are not some drills that someone may come up with & find your dummy useful for(innovation is always good as long as it complies with wing chun fundermantals) but for the dummy form there is no substitute for a real dummy.(and no i don't mean me, your girlfriends/boyfriends, or the less interlectual in your classes.)
    vts

OK, no more sales pitch : ) I do appreciate any feedback from other martial artists. The side entry techniques will not be affected by the stand. I know it is hard to tell from the picture but in reality there is plenty of room. As far as the "there are reasons for the dummies shape, diametre, hieght, even down to the width of the frame if you want to be fastidious" comment, the dummy height should be constructed for the person using the dummy. I don't know what you mean by "shape", as far as the width of the frame, yes I'm sure there is a traditional frame width but a lot of people don't have room for such a large structure. As I have told other people who have questioned the traditionalism of our dummy, if you want a traditional, full rack system go buy one. Our dummy is for people that don't have that option (or that much money). There will always be people who are full of negativity who will say, "it's not traditional enough" or "a traditional dummy is built this way or that way". My response is, if that's what you want then by all means go buy a traditional dummy. I know there are a lot of martial artists out there who would rather have a not-so-traditional dummy they can afford and use rather than looking at pictures of dummy's they will never be able to own.

Question Wooden Dummy...

Originally posted by yuanfen
    I am glad that you recognize the need for a round dummy body. There is more...
    Sifu YuanFen-

In your opinion, what are the most important aspects / features of a wooden dummy? Thanks for your time.

Mokujin
    "He's on the jazz."

Dummy qualities

In no particular order.
    Realistic weight
    Durability
    Attention to detail
    Action
    Quality of materials
    Relation to practitioner's size
    As for action,depends on your needs.Beginners in W.C. might want less resistance,advanced,more resistance.JKDers might want more springiness,options like higher legs,neck contours,horizontal side legs,etc.

"Gung Fu is Gung Fu,it's not childsplay"-Bruce Lee

Sifu YuanFen-

In your opinion, what are the most important aspects / features of a wooden dummy? Thanks for your time.

Mokujin
    --------------------------------------------------------
    You might want to visit my site at <www.azwingchun.com>. My part of the site is on the left. On the right side is my students site
    and I have written a short piece on the dummy for him. Red Lion in Georgia also makes a decent dummy and Wing Lam imports some from China.But some imported dummies have the top arms misaligned horizontally. I dont like to see Yip Man wing chun watered
    down though I am prepared for reasonable adaptations which do not violate some basic wing chun principles. Yip man himself shifted from the buried dummy to the apartment dummy with slats but the principle remained i.e. a little springy- a little give but not too much so that the practitioner adjusts and becomes flexible and mobile, develops his/her wing chun footwork but does not sacrifice structure. Bruce Lee never learned the wing chun dummy form and went off on a tangent with his own ideas. Since then some JKD folks and even some wc folks just beat up on dummies without understanding the concepts behind each motion and put all sorts of springs and contraptions which slows down good wing chun development. I have no problem with an
    apartment stand alone dummy if it is stable and fairly solid. I like the feel
    of hardwood- one senses the transfer of energy. Metal or even PVC does not do that to the same extent and softwood becomes loose and breaks up fast. Hope that helps. In any case I tried to respond to your question. Good wishes.

JKD and Wing Chun dummies both work well for their different approaches.JKD being more agressive and less detailed requires a heavier dummy with more spring,whereas Wing Chun is more precise and sticky.Trapping cousins.

It's most important to maintain and control while adapting to a fixed structure.Oddly enough it was Hawkins Cheung who said that learning the first third of the dummy form would probably be enough for most people,some of the time.Once you have the principles,body unity etc. the ability to improvise and flow become just as valid when viewed as a training aid.Different perspectives arise(Filipino destructions and zoning principles),and imagination stretches.That can't be so bad if practiced in a balanced way.

To me,dummy quality consists of 3 things
    1.value vs. co$t
    2.users needs
    3.the builder

If the basic design strays too far,we're getting into something 'not' Wing Chun.Trapping cousins,perhaps.Afterall,no styles is omnipotent enough to patent a fighting range.Muay Thai have an effective clinch etc.Learn from each other,hopefully take risks and make wise choices along the way.Only the brave and determined get anywhere.If someone wants to bust a few more angles on a dummy,some side legs or a neck grove isn't a big threat to trapping practice as a whole.Thanks for letting me rant.