Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Dummy

While I'm in my jerky mood...

Originally posted by gou quan
    We received a great deal of feedback from many, many martial artists at Dragonfest (including one well known WC teacher).
    This is like the opposite of name dropping. Was Ashida Kim's secret teacher also there?

The main criticism was that the body should be more round, in response to this we are now looking at going to the rounded front dummy... So in response to IronFist we will shortly be offering the dummy with a round front.
    Four months later, dude, and no round front dummy on your website.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Talking Dummies

Anyone tried the Pagoda dummy ? It says its made of sections of wood, its in a free standing frame (looks like the immortal framed dummy) and its only £325 (UK). They say they keep the price down by not using a solid body but offer a guarantee against breaking and splitting, anyone seen one or used it ?

Thanks

Originally posted by AdrianUK
    Talking Dummies

Anyone tried the Pagoda dummy ? It says its made of sections of wood, its in a free standing frame (looks like the immortal framed dummy) and its only £325 (UK). They say they keep the price down by not using a solid body but offer a guarantee against breaking and splitting, anyone seen one or used it ?

Thanks
    Is there a link somewhere with pics?

Heres the link the Pagoda Site

http://www.woodendummies.co.uk/pagoda.htm

I thought the frame was free standing but its wall mounted, anyone got opinions on this ?

Question Gou Quan, affordable?

Take this has constructive criticism from a potential customer...

Why would I pay 600 dollars (which is not affordable), plus 75 dollars for shipping for a flat dummy when at Woodendummy.net, I could purchase a round PVC dummy WITH space-saving corner stand for 25 dollars more ($625 total vs. $674 total)??

Also, Woodendummy.net as well as other pages (Asheville, Sifu Joy's site, etc) are Right-Click enabled. So if I wanted to show my sifu who didn't have an Internet connection for his opinion of this Urban Dummy (sounds like the Urban Sombrero), I'd have more difficult time with screen prints. Why disable this feature? However, IE 6 can get around this problem.

**Next**

Regarding the Pogada dummy, my only concern is the extra joint in the leg seen here. Couldn't it be angled in such a way that creates one less joint/stress point? Why is it needed? Any ideas?

I'd love to hear from those experienced folks out there...

Peace!

Mokujin
    Last edited by Mokujin; 04-15-2002 at 03:44 AM.
    "He's on the jazz."

mok

"Why disable this feature? However, IE 6 can get around this problem. "

How can you get around it?

Re: Gou Quan, affordable?

Originally posted by Mokujin
    Couldn't it be angled in such a way that creates one less joint/stress point? Why is it needed? Any ideas?
    I dunno. It looks like they just did it that way so the leg goes through the body at a more horizontal angle without having to change the actual angles of the leg (ie. the leg still sticks out of the dummy at the proper angle). While an extra joint does create more stress, maybe they had a reason to do it.

Normally, though, I would assume the leg would be one piece from the end that goes through the dummy to the knee joint. Then, one piece from the knee to the bottom.

Actually, that one might be one piece too. Look at the light strip that runs through the upper part. If it's one piece I'm sure it's strong. If it is actually 3 pieces (a new piece at every angle) then it's probably weaker.

Mokujin check your email.

IronFist

That leg is weird. The angle that it goes through makes it look weird. Look in this pic:

Also, it looks like it touches the floor.

Here

IronFist

I know, let's email them. However, while we've ripped on some really crappy dummies in the past, this company, while not perfect, you have to admit has some of the better looking dummies considering what we've seen.

Crappy dummies have included:

The flat bodied ones
    The square armed ones
    The superman dummy
    The weirdest one
    etc.

So, because this company doesn't suck too bad, I mean, they did do a good job lining up the upper arms... the left one isn't 3 inches higher than the right one, let's not be too mean if we email them.

IronFist

Stuff...

IronFist-

My onebox.com email is gone. I've updated my profile, so I should be able to get your email. Pls resend.

My point is they don't need the extra joint because the angle they cut through the body for the leg can be the proper angle so only the trditional knee joint is needed. True- this company does look more legit than most of the wanna-be dummy companies.

Ironfist- did you make your leg or did Gaphetto at Asheville handle that?

Lay off the weird dummy, man. It took 5 years to develop!! It's gotta be good!

Sunkuen-

With my IE6, if you hold your mouse cursor over an image, three little icons will appear. One of those icons is a disk. Click it and it allows you to save the image. I didn't do anything special to enable this feature- it seems to be a default when I upgraded from 5.5 to 6.

Rene Ritchie-

What's the history of the dummy? Wondering if there's more than just the hall of training devices... Did that nun really invent it?

Thanks to all...

Gou Quan- still waiting for a response.

Mokujin
    "He's on the jazz."

7* Mantis style dummy

I'm not sure about the "main" branch of 7 Stars praying mantis, but in the branch I study we use a special wooden dummy unlike the wing chun dummies I've seen.

Our dummy has no leg on it, has the traditional 3 arms, but instead of being wall mounted or having a stand of some sort, it is bolted to the ground.

How is this different? Well... it also spins at the base, so that if the person using the dummy goes faster than he can, he gets a smack from one of the arms. Makes for an interesting practice session if you lose focus for a second

I've got to ask my Sifu for the design... it's a pretty cool dummy, and I'd like to get my own for practice while at home.

Any of you seen/heard of similar types of dummies?

Hau Tien

Mokujin, Asheville made the limbs for my dummy.

IronFist

Re: 7* Mantis style dummy

Originally posted by Hau Tien
    I'm not sure about the "main" branch of 7 Stars praying mantis, but in the branch I study we use a special wooden dummy unlike the wing chun dummies I've seen.

Any of you seen/heard of similar types of dummies?
    In a book I saw a Mantis dummy once. It looked like a big cross with arms sticking straight out of the horizontal cross piece. But, it was a dark black and white picture so I couldn't really tell more.

IronFist

History of the dummy? I've seen various accounts, including the Mook Jong Hall. One old article claimed it cam from the "mast dummy" taught to the Red Junk by an old coastal fisherman. Many stories say it was introduced as part of the Weng Chun Kuen system, along with the 6.5 pole.

WRT the Mantis Dummy, its my understanding this came about when the Chin Woo started sending representatives south and they came into Foshan and later Hong Kong, encountered WCK people, and thought it was a good piece of equipment to train with. (Note: WCK dummies were traditionally not mounted on supports or stands but were buried several feet into the ground and surrounded by loose earth).

Rgds,

RR

What really gets my goat (riding stance...wacka-wacka) is this type of advertising info that I've seen on a lot of dummy sites.
    Each wooden dummy that Pagoda manufactures is handcrafted from the finest kilndried hardwood timbers available.
    WHy don't they tell exactly what kind of wood it is? Their idea of "the finest hardwood" might be plywood. Seems like a scam to me. I would want to know what kind of wood I am paying $600-1200 for. It's sort of an important little detail quite a few places overlook.