Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Dummy

Good Point...

"What really gets my goat (riding stance...wacka-wacka) ..."

LOL @ KungFu Cowboy. However, you bring up a good point. Dropping 600 bones, you need to know exactly what you're getting. So I emailed'em to find out.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt before labeling Pagoda a scam / rip-off!

I think I saw a Mantis dummy once. It wasn't has dynamic as the wing chun dummy. Pretty static- like a pole with two arms coming out, as I recall. Not to say there's anything wrong with that...

Peace!
    Mokujin
    "He's on the jazz."

Lightbulb Here we go...

Straight from the Pagoda's mouth:

"Thanks for your email regarding our handcrafted Wooden Dummies. In answer to your question, the timber that is used in production of each of our wooden dummies is kiln dried and is monitored throughout the kiln drying process to ensure that the moisture level is perfect and is not to moist or to dry in the finished product.

My company is primarily involved in the production of high end furniture for the USA, and the quality of finish on each Dummy is made to the same standard as the furniture we produce. Apart from being lacquered by hand, we also use the latest 2pac glues and hand picked timbers to produce what we believe is the finest Wooden Dummy available anywhere at the most competitive price.

The trunk on our new dummy is made from 5 pieces of laminated "Xoan Dao" which is a very high quality timber sourced from managed forests in Asia, and the arms and legs are made from "Yellow Bilao" which with it's long grain structure is ideal for the types of abuse a wooden dummy will be subjected to in training.

I hope this answers all your questions, and when we launch our new dummies in June I will send you pictures so you can see the quality of the new design.

Kind Regards

Alan Foley
    Owner"

That wood sounds exotic. Anybody know more about it?

Peace!

Mokujin
    "He's on the jazz."

Never heard of Xoan? It's not even a chinese word as far as i know... unless you mean Xian? But then i dunno...

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Why didn't they say what kind of wood is perfectly kiln dried?

Re: Here we go...

Originally posted by Mokujin
    Straight from the Pagoda's mouth:

Apart from being lacquered by hand, we also use the latest 2pac glues
    Dude. It's 2Pac.

Ask them why they use Chinese wood when the humidity is different in America?

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Wooden dummy

how does a corner dummy work?

thanks
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you will lose all that heavenly glory.

A corner stand? It's just designed to be kiddie-cornered <sp> in the corner of a room so it takes up less space.

www.woodendummy.net has an example.

But a "corner dummy," I've never heard of that.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I see

thanks

so it still has two posts but with additional supports at the back that fit in the corner.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you will lose all that heavenly glory.

wooden dummy

I was wondering, does anyone have a dummy in their apartment? I live in an apartment, and I was thinking of getting a dummy, but I'm thinking it'll be entirely too loud for the people around/beneath. Anyone else ever face this? I do have an outside patio, perhaps I can put it there...

Wow, I never quite expected that question. But yes, I have a WC dummy in my apartment. The noise isn't really an issue, but it is with the heavy bag (which had to go). Just to be on the polite side, I usually train my harder techs during the day, and save form and speed for the evening. Though I've never had complaints about the dummy even when I occasionally hit it hard at night. But if I do jump rope the lynch mob knocks on my door. I recommend keeping it indoors unless there's a space issue, but you should be ok in regards to sound.

If anything bothered your neighbors it wouldn't be the sound of you hitting the dummy, but of the the reverb that gets sent threw your dummies legs. If that is a prob- then just pad the dummies footing a little.

But please don't put your dummy on the patio, unless its plastic. The thing would probubly rot away, not to mention the lack of space for your training. Unless you have one of the few kick arse huge patios, where it'd be safe from the elements.

But good question, I wonder how many had no idea. Good luck-
    P.S. If you can, could you tell me where your going to get your dummy and price- just for sh^ ts and giggles.

Yeah, that was the issue I was thinkng of, not so much the sound of me striking the dummy, but rather the vibrations going to the ground from the dummy. Well I guess I'll wait till I get my own house to get one, then devote a room to Wing chun!

I saw a pretty good looking dummy from www.wooddummy.com, their dummies appears up to par. I also saw dummies for sale on www.azwingchun.com that seems well made, but their dummy website has been down for a while.

By the way, thnx for the reply, I was starting to think no one would be answering this post.

Vegita- the guy on the site that has been taken
    down temporarily still turns out very well crafted dummies slowly one by one.(I dont have a business connection. I dont sell equipment, shoes, uniforms, belts or sashes)) He just got tired of ignorant folks interested in plastic and pvcs and of course at very low prices...asking for advice but not really interested in gettinga good dummy. His own dummy is an apartment dummy on a movable platform. He has added some sound proofing and lowering vibration under the platform features on his own dummy and he
    plays on it when the neighbors are gone. Adjustment. Just as Ip man adjusted when he moved to Hong Kong.

Vegita, honestly I think you should go for it- it'd wouldn't even be a bothering as loud music. Sure you can't do hard hitting when people are in bed, but in apartments no one can do any hard training at that time. I wouldn't let the idea go- it's damm cool to be able to train with that thing at home.

go immortal

I live in a mobile home so space is a concer. the noise issue i really don't have any advice for that. but immortal brand dummies are great. thats what i have. i have the ground level base (not the large frame kind) and it works great. since immortal brand is made out of this resin plastic polymer (think thats what it is but its as heavy and as hard a wood) you can put it ouside uneffected by the elements, no cracking or splitting due to temperature changes.
    when hands stick to hands there is no place to go.

wooden dummy

Does anyone know of a place to
    order a good quality inexpensive mook joang?
    I don't want to spend more than $700.
    Thanks