Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pope's dead

I'm closer to Pagan than anything else, but I really don't belong to any religions. As such, the passing of the Pope didn't really mean anything to me. What I do find interesting though is the Vatican's use of technology to keep the Pope alive when they have always denounced and been somewhat at war with scientists.

Greetings..

We are here for a time, then we are not.. we pass through these flesh and bones, some without notice or effect.. some with brilliance and hope.. to have the courage of your convictions as did the Pope, will make a lasting mark..

I have no fondness for "religion", but i have enormous respect for those that can change civilization for the better (details and nuances notwithstanding).. and, as others have noted thousands pass daily without even honorable mention, such is the pity of society's view of Life..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

AFAIK, the Vatican had/has nothing against medical technology, only "extraordinary means" of keeping people alive. No contradiction there with the Pope.

I will miss the Pope. He was a gentle and good man. It took courage to hang in there in his final days.

I'm Catholic, as well as some others on these forums. The man did some great things, and with that we must move on for the future of the Church. I think what the Church needs now is a younger pope to make some good descisions and not be physically prevented from doing so. I hear there is a canidate from Nigeria! That would be cool.

Pax,
    SACKTAVIVS
    Sacktavius- AKA Snake Boy!

Chris, this is what I've said several times on here myself. However, it's like trying to argue with a wall. If people are completely determined to believe something regardless of that little obstacle knwn as "reality", then you just can't ever get through to them regardless of how clearly and logically you put it.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Right you are. Right you are...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

I just spent the whole fall in Rome..not that that makes me an authority on anything...I just thought it was neat...as for helping the poor, you could probably feed a small country on the money from the decorations of Rome's most modest Catholic church...but we can say that about almost anything on which money is spent (that it could have been put to other uses)...

I feel that people should be able to believe what they want, and just because I don't agree with them doesn't mean we can't be friends...of course fanatics can be annoying at times, if that is all that they talk about, but that goes for all things, perhaps moreso for tcma than religion...

Who knows who is right and who is wrong?

In some cases it seems as if religion was used to justify violence that would have occured anyway, and in others religion has been a direct cause of that violence...does that make religion bad? Hasn't religion also caused people to do good? I don't have any answers here...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

This thread is about a man who has just died. Please have some respect. If you cannot restrain your religious intolerance, please start a thread to discuss at as a distinct topic.

I concur. To me, religion is a product of people's insecurities. It exists to calm those insecurities by explaining what will happen to you when you die. As former practitioner of magick and now one of reiki (sp?), I can tell you there is definitely a great deal of supernatural influence in this world. I couldn't tell you where it comes from, but it is there.

Yes, but there is one big difference. I am only talking from experience. I am not trying to convince anyone what I say is true. I may be delusional. I may be right, I may be wrong.

You seem to have burdened my request with much more than I actually asked. So I will simply ask again: please have some respect for a man who just died. That is all.

Hmmmm. Let's see.... the title of this thread is "pope's dead". Hardly sounds like it would be an homage to the man. Besides which neither I nor Chris commented on the man (didn't even know him). The commentary being objected to was on religion in general and Catholicism in particular.

Peace all.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

im kinda glad he's gone. no more suffering. that poor guy was suffering so bad. i am glad his soul is at rest. he was a good pope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

If I met the pope, he'd tell me I'm going to hell twice. Once for having pre marital sex, and the other for using protection when doing so. This kinda makes it hard for me to feel as bad as I could. I still feel somewhat bad, though.

I for one, am deeply trouble that Christopher M, a man who's posts here I seek out and invariably find informative, well written and valuable is...

...wearing a Jethro Tull avatar!?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.