Thread: Shaolin Brand Martial Arts Supplies?

Shaolin Brand Martial Arts Supplies?

Some of the National China survey vids look interesting to me, but they're friggin expensive as hell! (59.99 each) Anyone ever done buisness with them... or know where I can get this series of videos cheaper?

linkage?

if any
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

very poorly designed site...

as it's hard to figure out prices and get any info on the videos:
    http://www.shaolinbrand.com/shaolinbrand/default.htm

I have some of the vids form them. The Tai Tzu one is fairly good and it documents forms from Tai Tzu Hong Chuan and Tai Tzu Quan from various Taiwan schools.

The San Shou onse suck though. They look like they were shot at a tournament by a spectateor useing a low quality cam corder. I have better home shot footage of my daughters gymnastic competitons.

When I ordered $59.95 was for two videos. The one you buy, and one of equal, or lessor value too.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Shaolin Brand

Ah, Shaolin Brand...

That was the former company of Roger Hagood (see our southern and mantis forums for some background). Hagood was the founder of our magazine. He even put himself on the cover of our second issue . The Shaolin Brand guys love to say that they once owned us (they seem to like to talk smack about us). But the fact is that Hagood started the magazine and did some coop work with Tiger Claw, founding Pacific Rim Publishing, which is a DBA of our company. Then there was a rather nasty break after only a year and a half. His departure was marked with our infamous winter 94 issue, nicknamed the 'lobster' since the cover came out very red due to a misfired first attempt at digital layout (all the previous were traditional cut-and-paste, if you can imagine). Ironically, that issue also featured the debut of the USAWKF. Personally, I like to think of it as the blood issue, since it seems bathed in blood.

Anyway, Hagood went on to found Shaolin Brand, but my understanding is that he sold that to the present owners and is no longer involved with it. That being said, Hagood distributed China's national survey videos and has been the only one to do so in the USA. When we were cooperating, that meant we distributed them too, of course, and if you look in our early issues from the Hagood years, you'll find the whole library. I'm assuming that is what Shaolin Brand is now selling.

The source of these videos, as well as the source material for some of Hagood's other publications, is somewhat dubious. Hagood always claimed he had the rights, but some Chinese authorities have contested this. But it's such a small infringement - it's not like he made tons of money on them - that to the best of my knowledge, there has been no legal action from China. That being said, those vidoes have a wide range of quality. Some are very clear. Some look like Hagood shot them with an old videocamera off a CCTV telecast (and that was over ten years ago!) Those videos are really sort of a crap shoot - you never know if you'll get a good one, and it's quite a gamble at those prices. I've always hoped that some one would go through and edit that footage because there is some great stuff in there, but most of it is buried under a lot of crap.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I got a few of them back when they first came out. They range from pretty good to very bad. They had a couple of intructional ones but most were demo type tapes. A lot of the performers were really old men who could barely do there forms. MY favorite was the tape with turtle kung fu (don't take that serious!)

I wonder when Yong Xin will drop the hammer on Shaolin Brand?

Rumor has it he's going after someone in central Europe

aka Shaolin Temple Austria.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread