Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woman killed in boxing match

Woman killed in boxing match

Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

It is a risk taken.

But this does happen. Not frequently, but it does.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Kinda brings you back down to reality. She was wearing head gear as well.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Well, a woman died not too long ago in a "tough-woman" contest as well. Anytime a person enters the ring they have to realize that there are risks. But, as KL mentioned, it doesn't happen very often. Sorry to hear about it though.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

I'd actually like to see the full autopsy report. I wonder if something like this could be a result of a previously undiscovered problem such as an aneurysm.

Generally, if your brain hits the wall of the skull, you will be unconcious. If the force is hard enough and the lining of the brain is torn, fluid will leak out and death can ensue quite quickly.

Currently, there is no way of knowing who's brain and cranium can withstand how much force from a punch thrown.

Just keep in mind that when you enter a fight or a match, there is a risk of death or permanent disability. It's a fact of the matter.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

that's what women get for entering.....oh wait, wrong forum, never mind

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Well, if she was competing then she evidently loved what she did. R.I.P.

I'd rather go that way then some other way.

I just hope this doesn't add to the liability issues already present in our society.

But, of course it will.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Lek
    Generally, if your brain hits the wall of the skull, you will be unconcious. If the force is hard enough and the lining of the brain is torn, fluid will leak out and death can ensue quite quickly.
    True, but you won't necessarily be unconcious immediately. I was the first on scene of a car accident where a drunk guy made a bubble the size of his head in the front windsheild. He was concious for the 10 minutes before the paramedics took him away. He later died because of the fluids that leaked out as well as the brain swelling.

It(the boxing) was a freak accident but it won't be the last. I have a feeling this will spark more of a controversy than if it was a man. Nature of our society I guess. Same line of thinking as women in combat.

thats very sad to hear

On a somewhat unrelated note, a friend of mine worked at this resturaunt/bar a few years back. Three guys got into a fight and took it outside. The fight only lasted through one punch. The attacker punched the other guy, that guy fell and smacked his head on the curb. He cracked his skull and was in a coma for 8 days or so. The attacker got charged with attempted man slaughter. So, real fighting has real consequences.

Its nice to have a reality check every now and then, but its sad that its at the cost of people getting hurt.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

This makes my point

Women were not designed for fighting like that,,,or for combat. Women have a more delicate structure physically and are suseptable to more injuries and life threateneing ones associated with fighting matches and the like.
    This is not as to say that women should not take martial arts to defend themselves should they be sexually assaulted or attacked. But to try and put yourself in a position where you are going to get repeated knocks to the head and body,,i mean come on.
    i dont see women as a weaker sex,,and i know the feminists will come out of the woodworks to counter me on this. But it is simple,,,,Women are not designed physically or mentally to be fighters,,,they can be fighters if they want,,but then they set themselves up as this poor woman did when she decided to enter the ring and get her block knocked off and die as a result.

women are not subserviant to the will and needs of the man but they ARE care givers and providers of our children and need not be put in the violent situations that we males put ourselves in.
    thats my opinion on the subject.

Peace,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

wOMEN AREN'T FIGHTERS lol!!! Have you ever dated?

Theresa would knock ur block off just for saying that if you two were in the same room together. Of course I've seen her break into buildings too......

I agree they are softer than us, but that really just means they need more care in the Iron head/body department.

Iron Buns, and Iron abs too

Or was that Buns of steel?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword
    Women are not designed physically or mentally to be fighters,
    I agree, especially compared to men women are at a physical disadvantage when it comes to fighting, lifting heavy objects, etc. I disagree on the mentality point however. You put a woman in fight mode and look out. Women vs Women is one of the most brutal fights I've ever seen, and God help you if a women puts her sights on you and has intent in the ring. At that point we as men with our "nobility" become the "weaker" sex. Most of us as men are "thinkers" in the ring, we try to psych each other out, etc. Women generally speaking when they fight men aren't like that. It's all or nothing. Women that can flip that maternal switch on when they fight are DANGEROUS.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword
    they can be fighters if they want,,but then they set themselves up as this poor woman did when she decided to enter the ring and get her block knocked off and die as a result.

I agree with you on a couple of levels. The average woman is not as strong nor can she easily get as strong as a man her size. Bone structure is generally more delicate... so on and so forth.

That said, this was boxing, not a streetfight. She's fighting a female opponent who is relatively equal in size and strength. She had trained for a time, from the article it appears she may have been away from training for a couple years before deciding to enter this competition. That may have been a factor.

I think in a controlled bout situation, death rates between trained individuals of both sexes are probably very similar. I would be interested to see the number of similar deaths in male fighters - Given that there are far fewer female competitors in general, I wonder if for this type of death, the percentages are similar between the genders.

bottom line is, she wanted to box, she knew the potential for injury... Still very sad.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by TWS
    women are not subserviant to the will and needs of the man but they ARE care givers and providers of our children
    and need not be put in the violent situations that we males put ourselves in.
    In nature, in most cases, it is the female that does both. Protect the young and provide care. It is only under the dominance of men was their role softened. Not that I wouldn't rather see then in bikini's rather that boxing gloves mind you........

Quote]and need not be put in the violent situations that we males put ourselves in.[/QUOTE]

Interesting use of the word "put". Why exactly do we males PUT ourselves in violent situations?
    Kind of stupid if you think about it......
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......