Thread: Summer oppurtunity

Summer oppurtunity

A freind of mine who got me into the shaolin school before it closed down emailed me today. A while back his school re-opened and shares space with two other "Schools". One is BJJ, the other is Escrima/JKD - probably one of Rick Faye's students.
    Anyway they do open sparring just about every night, but every saturday they have open sparring and anyone can show up. Lately some guys from from Mike Riley's MMA gym locally started showing up to spar as well so I got re-interested in doing the saturday open sparring.
    I emailed the guy who owns the school to see if he'd let me use capoeira in sparring, and he said he didin't have a problem with it, although he'd like to meet up with me next saturday to see what it's all about so he can make a more informed decision.
    I figure this will be a good oppurtunity to see if breakdance fighting holds up in a sparring situation.

All I know so far for rules are that mouth guards are required as well as MMA gloves.

Sup red5

Sounds good. Make sure and let us all know how superior the ground dancing is compared to the MMA.

I would love to spar a Capoeira guy

sounds like fun
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

before I took capoeira, I sparred a guy who is now my instructor and one of his students. They were tricky. The biggest thing they did was move in ways I could never have expected. Sparring you get used to the way most people move since on average there tend to be only a few good reactions. Tha capoeira guys took more chances doing crazy stuff but it worked atleast as often as it didn't so I"m going to play with that strength in mind. My grappling is nowhere near where I'd like it to be so I imagine if I play with the MMA guys I'm gonne get tapped out a lot.

Sounds like a great opportunity Red!

Best od luck and have fun!

USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

Blog Entries
    An oppurtunity or an opportunity?

Hey red I played this video game once, it was called teken I think. There was this guy on that game that did capoeira, everyone hated that guy cause he was so tricky. Just be like that guy, do a bunch of cartwheels and spinny ground things. Your garaunteed to win. My advice to you is to go buy that game, and learn every combo that guy does, then bust out. You will be unstoppable. Or you will get pounded into the ground. I say you have good odds though.

LOL Pangquan, actually Tekken is my favorite fighting game, however, as much as I love Capoeira I cannot play Eddie or his current hot protege, can't remember her name. I don't know why but I just can't get his moves down!
    But, the reason he frustrates some people - me included when I have to fight against him - is what I'm going to be working on in these sparring matches, nad I think a fundamental of capoeira, a strength if you will. You're constantly switching directions or doing the unconventional.
    The cool thing is since it's casual sparring on a saturday, I can try some of the trickier stuff too :P