Thread: gloves?

gloves?

I'm looking for some good sparring gloves with open palm and fingers.....basically a good mma type glove to use during wing chun sparring. Anybody have a good recommendation? I've looked at gloves from Ringside, Fairtex, and a few other places. Some look like good training gloves, others look more like fight gloves (meaning not enough padding for training). I want enough padding for everyday sparring, but want to be able to grab and have as much sensitivity as possible.

What do you use? What are the pros/cons of what you train with? What do you recommend? I'm willing to spend money if its worth it and they'll last. I'd like to hear some good reviews before shelling out cash though.

thanks
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

Dunno if you've seen this already but there's quite a good review of gloves on SFUK.net.

Link is
    http://sfuk.tripod.com/sfukmainframe.html

Choose Reviews from the left hand side.

Then you need to scroll down to gear and check out the glove road test.

Taters
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson
    I'm looking for some good sparring gloves with open palm and fingers.....basically a good mma type glove to use during wing chun sparring. Anybody have a good recommendation? I've looked at gloves from Ringside, Fairtex, and a few other places. Some look like good training gloves, others look more like fight gloves (meaning not enough padding for training). I want enough padding for everyday sparring, but want to be able to grab and have as much sensitivity as possible.

What do you use? What are the pros/cons of what you train with? What do you recommend? I'm willing to spend money if its worth it and they'll last. I'd like to hear some good reviews before shelling out cash though.

thanks
    Wilson,

I like "Harbinger" (a respectable company) boxing/Martial arts Gloves with protects your knuckles and fingers which is very similar to MMA fighter gloves. I think and I may be wrong they were the first to design what people know as MMA fighter gloves because I remember these gloves before the UFC. Pro: easy to put on and make it easy to grab things. Feel more natural than classic boxing mitts. The con is you better have strong wrists and forearms to support your punching in heavy bag training. That is why taping your hands and wrists are a must when you actually do heavy duty sparring with these kinds of gloves.

Bao
    Last edited by FooFighter; 04-06-2005 at 10:15 AM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

I use a pair of leather gloves made by CENTURY...they are actually called "bag gloves" on the box...very thin, but with some padding around the knuckles and half the fingers are exposed.

The best glove I've ever used...really excellent. Costs $50. per pair, and worth every penny, imo.

Just about everyone in our group, including myself, use the "finger free gloves" from RevGear. The homepage is www.revgear.com. This link should take you directly to the page with the gloves:

http://www.innovare.com/revgear/dept.asp?dept_id=3

I'm not too sure about the difference in url's but, it's all the same.

The gloves are 29.99

revgear is good. I have some century mma gloves too - they said mma gloves, not bag gloves - but I like them, which shocked me, as I usually hate all century products.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter