Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legit Question: Shaolin Chuan Shu or Pseudo-Shaolin Wu Shu ???

Just returned from DengFeng on monday ...

A side note on the latter derailment of this thread: I've done CMA for 20 years (age 13 to age 33, in a month time) and have been in only 2 "street fights", the first as a teen and the second 11 years ago, so I'm doing CMA far more for well-being, fitness, sport, "art", and many other reasons rather than for fighting on the streets, something I hope I will never do again or at worse once every 15 years or more

Now getting back to the original topic ... I just got back from Shaolin a few days ago. Thanks to Shi Xing Hong, a few IWF Beijing friends, and Russbo contacts, I got to hang out with De Yang, De Chao, a bunch of WuShu Guan guys, and there is definitely plenty of real Shaolin left, amongst the modern WuShu and other assorted hybrids, all of which I like anyway (I do both trad and modern taolu and sanda).

For one-week-old Shaolin pictures (mostly of me as it is my school site) you can go to www.shaolin-wushu.it , there is a NEW button on the homepage or go to images.

Still buzzing from the trip

wall
    > it is your mind, that creates this world >

Thanks for all the responses especially from Gene and Wall. If it works for you then it's a good MA, regardless of drift or origin. I don't doubt that a WuShu champ can kick ass, even a common thugs ass. Most street fighters are use to fighting and may even enjoy fighting, but their skills are often rudimentary and based on stealing someone or fighting dirty. Not so different form real MAs SD.

Vash the answer to your question is "yes" and "no". I feel that there are other styles of MAs out there who have retained the essence of the self-preservation aspect of Shaolin Ssu moreso than even most arts identifying themselves with the Shaolin moniker. They don't call Shorin, Shorin because it has no Shorin influence. In our ryuha we have retained the fighting lessons pictured in the Bubishi (Wu Bei Zhi).

I don't feel that what we do in Orthodox Shuri Te is purer White Crane, but it does have that influence. The truth is Matsumura's Shuri Te (Shorin) is an amalgam of Shaolin/White Crane Chuan Fa, Jigen Ryu Kenjutsu from the Satsuma Clan and Okinawa Ti. It's a MMA. You knew this though.

Later and I hope to eventually travel to the mainland to peep out the modern ShorinJi (Shaolin Temple). I might challenge one of the baldies while I'm there!
    The morrow beckons...