Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: so i just started cross-tarining...

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie
    I will I plan on travelling around a bit and checking out the wing chun scene in the US as soon as i heal up , there are so many of you guys i need to meet and hang with , and my vacation time is pileing up ,
    just need to be in good enough shape to handle all the abuse

hey email me i have some clips for you to check out , been pulling stuff off gary's new dvd's

I just got his Wooden Dummy video and have skimmed through it to "preview" it. It looks pretty good! Most vids of the dummy I've seen just teach you the sequence. But this video concentrates a lot on theory and application. I've also noticed some differences from the dummy forms I have seen in the past. I'm assuming this is Wong Shun Leung's "touch."

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by KPM
    I just got his Wooden Dummy video and have skimmed through it to "preview" it. It looks pretty good! Most vids of the dummy I've seen just teach you the sequence. But this video concentrates a lot on theory and application. I've also noticed some differences from the dummy forms I have seen in the past. I'm assuming this is Wong Shun Leung's "touch."

Keith
    Keith ,
    the Dummy is one of my favorites of his , and to sit and watch him do it on a [good day when he is hyped up ] is just awsome , he really works it like a live partner controlling timing ,duel hand energy [push pull ] line ,speed and just enough power , not just dead hits on dead wood ,

his dummy is a bit more alive then WSL , i have alot of video of WSL doing the dummy and it was a bit more static , Sifu Lam does it more as you said with application energy , more how WSL applied himself vs just working the dummy .

the Dummy [with the way Sifu does it ] is a blueprint to the energy he uses in his system .
    but this is not a Gary Lam thread so don't want to high jack it from g-fist he might elbow me to death [ouch]

kieth if you want to rap about specfics on the dummy , just email me bro , no secrets , riddles , or AWARENESSSS IIIMMMMOOOHHOOOOOOOO
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Will continue the wooden dummy hijacking of this thread for just a moment - because just last night I converted a William Cheung video to dvd.

The tape is called the LOST FOOTAGE...as it is a black and white video made back in 1980 (William was 39) when he returned to Hong Kong to tell the others for the first time about Traditional Wing Chun (TWC)...but he actually misplaced the master tape for many years...and put it out for sale at his seminars on a limited basis only about three years ago.

I don't think they are available anymore.

The tape contains all three forms, the wooden dummy, some fighting sequences against an opponent, and some other things as well.

BUT ALL THE FORMS AND THE WOODEN DUMMY are slightly...and sometimes, as in the case of the wooden dummy especially...SIGNIFICANTLY...different than what he's been teaching openly since going public with TWC.

When asked about that his response was that the original TWC wooden dummy sequences are too difficult for the average person to do - and he wanted to make TWC accessible to as many people as possible.

When I first heard this explanation I was sceptical - until I started working with the dummy sequences on the tape...and some sections are much more intricate and harder to do than the public version.

The entire video is pretty amazing, actually...and the man's speed, power, precision, and footwork back then were nothing short of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by madsox
    GF:

This sounds really interesting - where are these guys located? Any info available about them on the web? (Or via e-mail, drop me a line) Any of them on the East Coast? (I'm with Keith down near DC).

Now, to read more of the followup posts...

ND
    They are midwest, but the guy who started the class is actually moving to california in a bit, and his most senior student is taking over the class.

I will post more info if and when I get it.

As far as the web goes, you can look up sifu sit by googling tai hui or 6 elbows. He is the one who taught the guy who runs the class. I really don't know much about it, other than the class is hard work and very hands on.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie
    I will I plan on travelling around a bit and checking out the wing chun scene in the US as soon as i heal up , there are so many of you guys i need to meet and hang with , and my vacation time is pileing up ,
    just need to be in good enough shape to handle all the abuse

hey email me i have some clips for you to check out , been pulling stuff off gary's new dvd's

Email sent

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gangsterfist
    Email sent
    tag your it check your email
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

So I went the internal class on sunday, and it was pretty cool. The form itself looks beautiful. Too bad I only know like the first 3 postures

Today is the day where I work my a$$ off in class. Also, they guys who run this class are having a seminar the weekend of the 23rd of april. its going to be 1200 noon till 4pm sat and sun. It will cover many grounds of combat from stand up, clinch, ground, etc. No experience required in any martial art. Its just straight up combat. for more info you can drop me an email via this forum, or send one to larkdog@gmail.com

The seminar will be run by the guy who runs the class and his brother, who is a recon marine who just got out of the military. I expect it to be fun, and a good experience overall.

The seminar will be held in kansas city, so if you live close drop me a line.

-Yip Man

re crosstrainging

hi gangsterfist, it is good you found a good style that fits in with wing chun
    concepts, i have seen six elbows a long time go it is a very good style kepp it up if you can it can olny be of benifit to you, oh sifu victor in one of the threads you spoke of slow sparring this was the main reson i was albe to use wing chun my sifu chris stmamilos would spar with me to get my movement right and get my stance right ete this is a very important concept in traing peace russellsherry
    russellsherry

Thx russell,

yeah they are a bunch of great guys to work out with.

Today was day one of the seminar. Did lots of stretching and a marine work out. I can't even begin to tell you how many sets of push ups and crunches i did. We did sets of working out and then scrambling from ground position into a fighting position standing up. Of course we had to break it down into section and do each move correctly, while keeping our guard.

Did about 2 hours of so of pure ground work. My ground game has definately been pushed a level up after todays seminar. We covered everything from the take down, the guard, the mount, triangle chokes, arm bars, joint locks, getting out of the guard and mount position, so on and so forth. Its so funny how much wing chun pricniples of space crowding apply to the ground. Your center is the only thing that changes.

I am tired and beat, and tomorrow is going to be even tougher. I almost ralphed three seperate times during the work out. However, I did eat a sandwhich before I went. Tomorrow Im gonna eat a power bar or something and then show up

My knees and elbows are pretty sore from working on the ground. We did everythign outside on the grass.

-Yip Man

re cross training

hi gangsterfist ,, i am glad you are getting a lot out of it it is good to get some groundwork in particulary if it fit in with wing chunn concepts oh gangsterfist if you can ill ask david peteson where you can get them in the states get a hold of the late ed harts groundfighting tapes it is unreal he was awesome russellsherry
    russellsherry

russ-

drop me a line on those tapes. This whole weekend was pretty much all muscle memory work on my ground game. I learned a few very valuable lessons. Fitness is your number one asset in fighting. After I did the bull in the ring drill I could barely fight the last round of people, I mean I was barely moving.

My ground game has totally gone up an extra level this weekend and I also learned that I almost always go for submission before I control the situation, which is something that I am working on now. I am going to work my way in step by step by the books to get my position and control then go for the submission. When you do it that way on the ground they have little chance of beating you because you already have superioir control, position, and technique.

I am interested in developing my ground game a bit further to learn how to fully deal with it, but by no means want to become a full time ground fighting. I am a striker, and I am fast. I am not very big so naturally my attributes are better for striking, plus I like to stay on my feet just incase...

My eblows and kness are shredded but feel better today actually from ground fighitng outside on the grass all weekend. I got some freaking sun burn too

I think that going to a seminar of stuff like this is good for any martial artist. I recomend you guys pick up a bit o ground fighting if you ever get the chance to, so you can at least build attributes for it and you can at least know the basic concepts. Which btw remind me of wing chun about positioning and control.....

-Yip Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gangsterfist
    I am not very big so naturally my attributes are better for striking
    it's no different than striking on that topic - size has it's advantages in striking and in grappling, but a bigger grappler is by no means a guarantee of being a better grappler.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    it's no different than striking on that topic - size has it's advantages in striking and in grappling, but a bigger grappler is by no means a guarantee of being a better grappler.

I disagree size does matter, Im about 150lbs and I had a 250lb resisting opponet that had got me in the mount. He was smart about it and got in a high mount so I couldn't oompa (sp?) him off. It was near impossible for me to handle someone on the ground that knew what they were doing and had about 100 lbs on me.

I am fast on my feet and with striking, its my natural attributes. I have no problem going to the ground, but for me its more advantagous if I stay on my feet.

I learned A LOT about ground fighting this last weekend. Some stuff I already knew and trained and other stuff was new to me. Fitness, size, and attributes do matter. Thats why they have weight classes in competitions.

-Yip Man