Thread: so i just started cross-tarining...

Hybrid View

so i just started cross-tarining...

and just got back from my first class...

To start off we stretched for about 30 min, then worked out. did this thing called pillars. WHich is 20 push ups, 30 crunches, sprint up 50 or so stairs (roughly 35 degree angle so not too bad) circle around the pillar, bear walk down the stairs to the starting point, repeat. Repeated that 6 times, and then ran a full lap around the museum courtyard (we train outside an art museum). I was told this class was a light work out lol.

Man I am tired...

Its an external style called 6 elbows, and has an internal form to it called tai hui, I think. There are internal aspects to it, but like I said, I just started.

Overall, I really like the one body one mind concept I learned tonight. How energy needs to flow and can't stay stagnent(sp?). The class is hard work i mean my shoulders are really shore for all the push up and bear crawls.

I learned the first 7 motions in the first form and some basic foot work drills.

Its different than wing chun, but man its a great art, and I think that the attributes I gain from this style will most definately compliment my wing chun.

I am definately going back for more classes, and I am going to keep going back until I get good, or as long as my work schedule allows. The thing that hooked me was that after class was over we talked theory. The guy running the class said its not about style, or about technique, its about motion of energy and knowing how to apply what and when. He said he trains that way. It all makes so much sense...

However, I am by no means what so ever giving up wing chun. Just thought I would share.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

The conditioning stuff sounds very good; but I have to wonder what he means by this:

"The guy running the class said its not about style, or about technique, its about motion of energy and knowing how to apply what and when."

Certainly knowing how and when to apply motion and energy are very important - but so is technique.

"but I have to wonder what he means by this:" --UWC

He means you must have AWARE...

Sorry, moment of weakness.

In the End it's all about Perception or Awareness, one and the same if you ask me. If I blindfold Frank Shamrock, how will this affect his overall effectiveness to fight? Lots, and the same is true for most people, if not all people, regardless of who they are. Perception skills are critical if you ask me, and once the basic foundation of structure within your own body is developed the key is to work on perception abilities from a non contact position and a contact position(chi-sao here). Just my 2 cents..

James

He means you must have AWARE...
    LOL, funny.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

victor-

Let me elaborate a bit more....

These guys are strictly untraditional and give a rats ass about lineage or tradition. Infact, if you call the teacher sifu, he makes you do 100 push ups, because to him, he is not a sifu.

They also don't get caught up in this style does this, that styles does that. Infact, I asked a few technical questions, and the guy running the class was like, "what is it with you wing chun guys? Always gotta be so precise and scientific." he then later told me to just feel out the technique and just do it, instead of over analyzing it.

I have known these guys for a few years, but just recently started training with them. They train in the courtyard of an art museum. So people walking by can watch them since they are out in the open. One time some JKD guys happen to come by and watched their class. They asked them what they were trainig because they couldn't tell what it was. They said it looked like karate, TKD, kung fu, and grappling all mixed up in one. I will admit, its a very unique style and its not very well known or taught throughout the US, but this was coming from some JKD guys.

Technique is important, and these guys practice the hell outta technique. I just worded that statement wrong earlier.

anyways, i am feeling pretty good today, minus some soreness in my shoulders. A few weeks of this though, and my shoulders will become my ***** and just do what I want anyways.

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gangsterfist
    ..... after class was over we talked theory. The guy running the class said its not about style, or about technique, its about motion of energy and knowing how to apply what and when. He said he trains that way. It all makes so much sense...

....strictly untraditional and give a rats ass about lineage or tradition. Infact, if you call the teacher sifu, he makes you do 100 push ups, because to him, he is not a sifu.

They also don't get caught up in this style does this, that styles does that. Infact, I asked a few technical questions, and the guy running the class was like, "what is it with you wing chun guys? .......he then later told me to just feel out the technique and just do it, instead of over analyzing it.
    Does this remind anyone else of the training philosophy of a certain wing chun coach here on this forum?

Great stuff, G-fist.

Thanks for sharing.

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceofidaho
    Does this remind anyone else of the training philosophy of a certain wing chun coach here on this forum?

Great stuff, G-fist.

Thanks for sharing.

-Lawrence
    I plead the 5th / what you talkin about willis !
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Ernie,

If you are ever out in the midwest, you should check these guys out. Its not wing chun but its some good stuff

-Yip Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gangsterfist
    Ernie,

If you are ever out in the midwest, you should check these guys out. Its not wing chun but its some good stuff

I will I plan on travelling around a bit and checking out the wing chun scene in the US as soon as i heal up , there are so many of you guys i need to meet and hang with , and my vacation time is pileing up ,
    just need to be in good enough shape to handle all the abuse

hey email me i have some clips for you to check out , been pulling stuff off gary's new dvd's
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie
    I will I plan on travelling around a bit and checking out the wing chun scene in the US as soon as i heal up , there are so many of you guys i need to meet and hang with , and my vacation time is pileing up ,

hey email me i have some clips for you to check out , been pulling stuff off gary's new dvd's

I just got his Wooden Dummy video and have skimmed through it to "preview" it. It looks pretty good! Most vids of the dummy I've seen just teach you the sequence. But this video concentrates a lot on theory and application. I've also noticed some differences from the dummy forms I have seen in the past. I'm assuming this is Wong Shun Leung's "touch."

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie

Email sent

-Yip Man