Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: so i just started cross-tarining...

Sounds like a bad@ass mofo of a class, nice one
    It's evident, my potential be infinite- The RZA

hate to be anal but sidestep tan punch wont work against a hook IME, it might work against a swing tho...

-peace

James-

Yes, I understand what you mean completely. They do break things down step by step and motion by motion and they train it slow, to build muscle memory.

They do slow sparring. Which is a sparring drill where you have to go really slow so your opponet has time to react to every movement you do. Why would this be important? This makes you rely totally on technique and not on strength or speed. If your technique is good then it will hit them.

They also do full contact sparring and train in a military fashion, hence all the conditioning. The worst thing I have ever done in that class is wheel barrel walks up the stairs. Someone holds your legs and you wheel barrel walk up 50 or so stairs (maybe a bit less than 50) and every stair you walk up on your hands you do a push up. THAT ABOUT KILLED ME!

This system is an inside fighting system, its close range, so thats why it build attributes to help out my wing chun.

Here is the thing though, they do not over dwell on conecptual theories, like wing chun people do. This class is my yin and my wing chun is my yang when discussing technical aspects and theory.

There are many ways to train, infact the guy that started the whole class told me once you can train two ways. One way is to work your butt off and train hard, and the other way is when you are recovering, you think about training.

Hard work is not for everyone, and conditioning is not for everyone, and cross training is not for everyone. This class though that I am cross training in I think is for me. I need something to kick my a$$ in gear to take me to that higher level, and I think this class is it.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Quote Originally Posted by jonp
    hate to be anal but sidestep tan punch wont work against a hook IME, it might work against a swing tho...

-peace
    Against a closer range hook, no need to deflect the strike as they have to get through your Lead guard (if you have one up that is) to get range on the hook. Always remember that if the opponent has distance to make contact with you with any of their weapons, you also have the same distance to attack them. Proper positioning of your tools makes this a bit harder for them to accomplish as they have a barrier to get around instead of free empty space.

James

IME, a tan sao againsta an educated hook is not the ideal answer. More of a biu da, or just foot work and striking. A good hook and go right around a tan sao.

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Gangsterfist:

I'm a big fan of slow motion sparring as a precursor to harder and faster sparring...and the conditioning that they're putting you through could pay big dividends later.

slow sparring is hard actually. You have to go slow (when you want to go fast) and you have to use no tension. It actually helps build other attributes IMHO.

I am going to my second 6 elbows class tomorrow morning @ 8am, then I have wing chun with sifu from 11am to 3pm. So tomorrow is a whole lotta kung fu!

-Yip Man

a hook is by its very nature a close range strike, a tight circular punch, so yea i hopefully would be attacking him cause wed be close up n personal, but jus cause im in there slappin him doesnt mean he cant do the same back, some kind of tight biu sau or elbow work would be needed to get in the way for sure.

im jus being a pernickety about your use of the word hook

-peace

"some kind of tight biu sau or elbow work would be needed to get in the way for sure."

YEP...against a tight hook, it's gotta be some variation of biu/lop...preferably at the inside cruk of his elbow joint.

Tan won't cut it in this scenario.

Depending on the angle of the hook (deep or shallow) the Tan could turn into a lop/bil or Wu sao all the same. In most instances you will hit the man first, regardless of what hand shape you put up. If you are flanked by his faster footwork for whatever reason, or are attacked by the side, then I would prefer the Biu Sao kick, as the other hand is slightly too far away to be in play. Just so we are all on the same page, you side step into the punch on most cases but side steping or foward stepping away from the punching arm can be used and also we use the "facing the point of contact" concept, where in this case the Tan would be down the centerline and the centerline would face the contact point with your opponents limb, so that the punching arm/shoulder would be closer to the opponents target areas than the Tan arm/shoulder. Some WC lineages have this but call it something different and some don't as far as my investigations have found.

James

So, in class today we had one of those re-breakable bricks. I could break the brick everytime if I released into it, even from short distances.

Anyone ever use those rebreakable bricks? I had never even seen one till today.

-Yip Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gangsterfist
    ..... after class was over we talked theory. The guy running the class said its not about style, or about technique, its about motion of energy and knowing how to apply what and when. He said he trains that way. It all makes so much sense...

....strictly untraditional and give a rats ass about lineage or tradition. Infact, if you call the teacher sifu, he makes you do 100 push ups, because to him, he is not a sifu.

They also don't get caught up in this style does this, that styles does that. Infact, I asked a few technical questions, and the guy running the class was like, "what is it with you wing chun guys? .......he then later told me to just feel out the technique and just do it, instead of over analyzing it.
    Does this remind anyone else of the training philosophy of a certain wing chun coach here on this forum?

Great stuff, G-fist.

Thanks for sharing.

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceofidaho
    Does this remind anyone else of the training philosophy of a certain wing chun coach here on this forum?

Great stuff, G-fist.

Thanks for sharing.

-Lawrence
    I plead the 5th / what you talkin about willis !
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Ernie,

If you are ever out in the midwest, you should check these guys out. Its not wing chun but its some good stuff

-Yip Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gangsterfist
    Ernie,

If you are ever out in the midwest, you should check these guys out. Its not wing chun but its some good stuff

I will I plan on travelling around a bit and checking out the wing chun scene in the US as soon as i heal up , there are so many of you guys i need to meet and hang with , and my vacation time is pileing up ,
    just need to be in good enough shape to handle all the abuse

hey email me i have some clips for you to check out , been pulling stuff off gary's new dvd's
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com