Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recovery

thx for the tips guys. The tops and sides of my shoulders kill the most, they are probably the weakest part of my body atm and they got the hardest work out. I am going to get some potassium supplements and I have been stretching and rotating my arms. I worked out really hard on wednesday, recovered last night (thurs) and did nothing really, and tonight I have wing chun class(friday) so I won't do any physical conditioning outside of dummy work, chi sao, and forms. Then tomorrow I have my 6 elbows class at 8am. They are going to work out, but I may hold off if my shoulders are still this sore.

What about balms and such? anyone have any luck with any of those?

I will try the cold shower thing, I assume that icepacks would work in the same fashion?

Thanks again for the tips guys.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mungbean
    Another method is the cold plunge. Ideally a five to ten minute steam followed by a cold rinse in the shower followed by a return to hot is a nice way to accomplish this. This flushes the blood out to your skin back to your core and them back to the skin again, thereby flushing your muscles of built up lactic acid and other toxins that can cause soreness. No steam room? Try hot shower to cold shower to hot again.

I've been doing that ever since I was a kid. Back then, I imagined that I was tempering myself - making my body so that it didn't feel hot or cold. I could turn the hot water all the way on, or the cold all the way on and not be bothered. Now, I just do it out of habit.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

G-fist, instead of worrying about recovery, what about treating the cause? I.e. I'm gunna put in a recommendation for PTP. I used to do a hypertrophic workout and it killed me come MA class time. PTP has almost no impact on MA class and you still get strong plus the bonus of minimal size gain. Of course, this is presuming you are getting sore from weights workouts - you were talking about starting weights a month ago or so, right?
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Its all body weight exercises, and I just did them till my body pretty much gave out.

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man

Well, just to update the thread it took me about 4.5 days to fully recover. I had some minor stiffness and soreness the last day, but after that nights sleep it all disappeared. I increased my potassium in my diet and it seemed to work. I seemed to heal up at a faster rate.

I am going to do a light work out tonight, and rest on tuesday, b/c wednesday is the day I work my a$$ off.

I wish I had a pool in my back yard for some cardio, I really don't wana join a gym just for a pool. I have enough expenses as is.

-Yip Man